A plethora of issues as of late.

1) My Xbox One takes priority over my PlayStation 4 in terms of upload, regardless of settings (apart from unticking Share Excess. We cannot do that, there are a lot of devices in this house). My PlayStation 4 is in Hyper Traffic, the Xbox One is not. The Xbox One has 21% upload allocation and my PlayStation 4 has 75%. Xbox One uses more and takes away from the PlayStation 4. It's strange, but it's a fact.

2) Congestion Filter seems to split my speeds. I know it reduces that maximum any given device can use, I get that. However, it seems to lessen to overall bandwidth in general. I have 10Mbps down. It's not luxurious or anything, but whatever. I constantly see it at ~10Mbps when everybody's on and doing things. So, I simply drop it to 70%. After that, it barely goes passed 3Mbps and my individual download speed on the PlayStation 4's speed test drops significantly below 3Mbps (often ~2.4). Which, honestly, is fine. It doesn't cause any sort of connection issues. However, for some reason, I get strange 10-15 second lag spikes.

3) Network Monitor also has a strange... Glitch? Bug? Something strange is happening. Randomly throughout the day, my Upload and Download usage will spike to ridiculously high numbers. I'm talking 100Mbps+. I keep the monitor at 5 seconds refresh so I can see a nice display of usage, but I have to pay attention because of these spikes so I can quickly set it to 1 second to move the huge spikes off of the monitor. I can live with this issue, really. Just thought I'd let you know what's up.

4) NAT Issues, somehow? Lately, I've been experiencing weird issues. And, honestly, it doesn't make sense. There are no changes in my settings. Everything is setup the exact same way and there's nothing wrong with my connection itself. Speeds are fine and the ping is fine. However, I do a speed test on my PlayStation 4 and I get NAT Type 2 (normal for me) and then a little "error" shows up at the bottom;

"The router in use might not support IP fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted."

And, those features are limited to two at the moment; Party Chat and Game Chat. It's not unusual for me to have NAT problems with certain people I play with (because of Host Filtering), but those NAT problems usually don't translate to Party Chat. If I have NAT issues with somebody outside of my host filtering region, I can ALWAYS talk to them in Party Chat. And, to make matters even more confusing, the people I'm currently having NAT issues with are within my selected region. It's weird. This just started happening a couple of days ago, and nothing changed to make it happen.

Initially, I thought I fixed it be turning UPnP off and back on but it just did it again. It's frustrating. It's restricting only Chat-related features, but I play Destiny with my clan and I can't talk to them. I'm hoping there's some way to fix this that's simple. Also, I have 3074 UDP portforwarded to my PlayStation 4 (which was suggested by another Netduma user/person on this site).

5) Hyper Traffic doesn't appear to put my PlayStation 4 first in any way. I don't know this for sure, but just from looking at the monitor and my current issues, it doesn't seem to be helping.

I always thought CC sliders were intended to limit total bandwidth, so your observations seem correct. Just maybe the slider is throttling a little more than it should. Then the allocations flower are intended to further organize your already reduced bandwidth because of the CC sliders.  I don't have a PS4, but I have read a bunch of comments where they seem to have really slow DL speeds sometimes.  Not saying that is the answer to your issues, but I have read that a bunch.

I have seen that same spike in my network monitor... up to a gig sometimes and I have 50 mb/s up and down. doesn't make any sense, but you're not the only one who has seen it.

I have also had party chat issues since .6 update which I never had before.  However I have only partied up once since I did the update so I don't know if it was a one-off with Xbox live or if it's a more serious issue.  I can report at the time I had fully open NAT

I always thought CC sliders were intended to limit total bandwidth, so your observations seem correct. Just maybe the slider is throttling a little more than it should. Then the allocations flower are intended to further organize your already reduced bandwidth because of the CC sliders.  I don't have a PS4, but I have read a bunch of comments where they seem to have really slow DL speeds sometimes.  Not saying that is the answer to your issues, but I have read that a bunch.

I have seen that same spike in my network monitor... up to a gig sometimes and I have 50 mb/s up and down. doesn't make any sense, but you're not the only one who has seen it.

I have also had party chat issues since .6 update which I never had before.  However I have only partied up once since I did the update so I don't know if it was a one-off with Xbox live or if it's a more serious issue.  I can report at the time I had fully open NAT

I believe I have solved issue 4). I merely turned off Auto MTU and switched it to manual. Put it at 1500 and it seems to be working fine again. Not sure why the Auto MTU is all of the sudden not working properly, but I could be wrong and the 5 tests I did were just flukes or something. I'll keep this thread updated.

I believe I have solved issue 4). I merely turned off Auto MTU and switched it to manual. Put it at 1500 and it seems to be working fine again. Not sure why the Auto MTU is all of the sudden not working properly, but I could be wrong and the 5 tests I did were just flukes or something. I'll keep this thread updated.

Interesting.  I'll have to try that if I have issues with party chat again.  

Interesting.  I'll have to try that if I have issues with party chat again.  

You'll want to test for your max MTU. There are a few MTU testing sites out there, so you should be fine. 1500 is the standard as far as I know. But, honestly, I still don't know if it's fixed or not. It was an on and off kind of thing. Hopefully it is fixed, though.

• Administrators

1) My Xbox One takes priority over my PlayStation 4 in terms of upload, regardless of settings (apart from unticking Share Excess. We cannot do that, there are a lot of devices in this house). My PlayStation 4 is in Hyper Traffic, the Xbox One is not. The Xbox One has 21% upload allocation and my PlayStation 4 has 75%. Xbox One uses more and takes away from the PlayStation 4. It's strange, but it's a fact.

2) Congestion Filter seems to split my speeds. I know it reduces that maximum any given device can use, I get that. However, it seems to lessen to overall bandwidth in general. I have 10Mbps down. It's not luxurious or anything, but whatever. I constantly see it at ~10Mbps when everybody's on and doing things. So, I simply drop it to 70%. After that, it barely goes passed 3Mbps and my individual download speed on the PlayStation 4's speed test drops significantly below 3Mbps (often ~2.4). Which, honestly, is fine. It doesn't cause any sort of connection issues. However, for some reason, I get strange 10-15 second lag spikes.

3) Network Monitor also has a strange... Glitch? Bug? Something strange is happening. Randomly throughout the day, my Upload and Download usage will spike to ridiculously high numbers. I'm talking 100Mbps+. I keep the monitor at 5 seconds refresh so I can see a nice display of usage, but I have to pay attention because of these spikes so I can quickly set it to 1 second to move the huge spikes off of the monitor. I can live with this issue, really. Just thought I'd let you know what's up.

4) NAT Issues, somehow? Lately, I've been experiencing weird issues. And, honestly, it doesn't make sense. There are no changes in my settings. Everything is setup the exact same way and there's nothing wrong with my connection itself. Speeds are fine and the ping is fine. However, I do a speed test on my PlayStation 4 and I get NAT Type 2 (normal for me) and then a little "error" shows up at the bottom;

"The router in use might not support IP fragmentation, and some network features of the PS4 might be restricted."

And, those features are limited to two at the moment; Party Chat and Game Chat. It's not unusual for me to have NAT problems with certain people I play with (because of Host Filtering), but those NAT problems usually don't translate to Party Chat. If I have NAT issues with somebody outside of my host filtering region, I can ALWAYS talk to them in Party Chat. And, to make matters even more confusing, the people I'm currently having NAT issues with are within my selected region. It's weird. This just started happening a couple of days ago, and nothing changed to make it happen.

Initially, I thought I fixed it be turning UPnP off and back on but it just did it again. It's frustrating. It's restricting only Chat-related features, but I play Destiny with my clan and I can't talk to them. I'm hoping there's some way to fix this that's simple. Also, I have 3074 UDP portforwarded to my PlayStation 4 (which was suggested by another Netduma user/person on this site).

5) Hyper Traffic doesn't appear to put my PlayStation 4 first in any way. I don't know this for sure, but just from looking at the monitor and my current issues, it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'll try to answer your points as best I can:

1. Are you getting this information from the speed tests on the consoles? If so I wouldn't read to much into them, they can be inaccurate at times. 
  2. The preemptive algorithm is conservative so it can lower it a bit more. Firstly are all devices connected to the R1? If so I would try the reactive algorithm, your speeds should then not go that low with 70/70. You shouldn't be getting lag spikes if all devices are connected and using 70/70, are you connected via wifi?
  3. Someone mentioned this the other day so this may well be a bug, however did you switch tabs right before going to the network monitor? This can cause a weird spike. 
  4. I note you said this may be resolved so keep us updated on this, though IP fragmentation seems to be a PS4 issue as those without R1's seem to experience the same sometimes as well.
  5. It's possible you may not see a huge difference depending on your setup but I would keep it enabled as it should definitely be putting it first.

Archived