Optimum setup

nytemare01

Hello again

I'd like to know your opinion on what the best setup for my netduma. I own an Asus rt ac87u and I want to us it in conjunction with the R1. Is it better to:

A: use the asus rt ac87u as the main router and it the R1 in the DMZ. Or B: use the R1 as the main router and place the asus router in AP mode.

Oh and I also own a l*gb*ster. Would using this device with the R1 interfere with the R1's operation? Thanks

• Netduma Staff

Hello again

I'd like to know your opinion on what the best setup for my netduma. I own an Asus rt ac87u and I want to us it in conjunction with the R1. Is it better to:

A: use the asus rt ac87u as the main router and it the R1 in the DMZ. Or B: use the R1 as the main router and place the asus router in AP mode.

Oh and I also own a l*gb*ster. Would using this device with the R1 interfere with the R1's operation? Thanks

Probably best to leave the lag buster out of the setup in my opinion :)

The R1 would work most optimally if everything was connected to it, including the Asus router. So I would suggest that you have R1 >> Asus so that everything is going through the R1.

I assume that you also have a modem that the Asus was plugged into, and the Asus isn't also acting as a modem? If the Asus is also acting as the modem, the R1 would have to be plugged into the Asus because the R1 does not have a modem in it. If this is the case, plug everything into the R1 and then plug the R1 into the Asus. This would be most optimal.

:)

The congestion control on the duma will out do the l*gb*ster , i get 1ms rise in ping when I download from usenet with the bandwidth set and the sliders at 70%.

Meaning the house can stream and download while I game with out a bat of an eyelid it is that good.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's the setup now: Motorola sb6141 modem > R1 > asus router (ap mode). All consoles are plugged directly into the R1 and my desktop is wired to the asus router. Anything wifi is now running off asus

I would disable the wifi on the asus as congestion control will not work on your connected wifi equipment unless it is coming from the duma.

If you leave it as it is wifi connected devices will cause high pings as they surf and download.

And dont worry the signal is strong on the duma it out classes my billion 7800n router and that has 3 big antennas.

True, but I'd really hate for a $300 router to go to waste. Also my desktop doesn't have a wifi card and I have all consoles(ps4 PS3 xbox360 Xbox one) hooked up. The R1 only has 4 extra ports and I need one for the desktop

BL4CK OPS V3TRN I keep my 7800n in-line to take use of its great firewall and not to loose out on this I use upnp forwarding on the duma instead of DMZ.

Yeah nytemare01 the wifi has great distance.

Modem >7800n (all normal settings nothing changed) >Netduma (in settings miscellaneous settings i have Enable upnp forwarding ticked)

Then i reboot my duma and it gives me an open NAT behind the 7800n firewall ( I am a security nut ) :)

I would use Your Asus like this if it allows you too , worth a try :)

No it is not in the dmz it does not have to be set up like this , which is great :)

I do not know how many routers it would work like this with but its good from a security stand point for my set up.

Archived