Setting Definitions

Setting descriptions  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Netduma create a list of all settings with a description of what they do?

I love the Netduma Router!

The support is great.  However...

I don't wish to argue with anyone about why some settings may or may not make any difference.

I have been a router tweaker for over 10 years now.  I have done countless hours of research for each router I have owned and for each ISP I have had.

I have seen the debates over common things like UPnP and port forwarding and such.  Again I don't care about that,  I have had routers where I used one and other routers where I used the other.  Every router, ISP, and household setup is different.

One thing that other routers have had that Netduma is severely lacking is a list of settings and what they do.

Recommendations by the Netduma staff is great, but at the end of the day I just need to experiment for myself.

I have seen many threads where settings are discussed and I have seen countless times when the Netduma staff has said, I think it does this...

Or they don't answer the question and instead say to just use the default.

I would currently rate the support at 4 out of 5 stars.  The missing star is due to the lack of technical information available about what the settings actually do on this custom firmware.

If Netduma does not want to share this information because it could give away the hard work they have put into it, I understand. But please tell me if that is the case.  Otherwise I am left to assume that the Netduma staff is just rude or doesn't know.

I would gladly increase my rating to 5 out of 5 stars if Netuduma, could put together a thread listing all settings with a description of what they do.

Please like or comment "I agree" on this thread if you agree that Netduma should do this.

Think of this like a petition or a plea to Netduma.

Also please answer the poll "Setting descriptions".

• Administrators

There are ? on the router next to some of the options telling you a brief description of what they do. 

I'm sure we can compile a list, a lot of it should already be contained here - http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=user_manualthough it needs to be updated for the new upgrade which I have done some already. 

If there is anything not there you would like to know, let me know!

I will take another look at the wiki, I'm not sure if others are having the same problem but some of the help buttons don't work for me like the one for hyper traffic advanced setup. Also when setting the bandwidth when it asks about auto configuring if I click yes a warning box pops up but doesn't say anything other than "warning". I have tried rebooting and refreshing pages with control f5 but still no luck.

• Administrators

I will take another look at the wiki, I'm not sure if others are having the same problem but some of the help buttons don't work for me like the one for hyper traffic advanced setup. Also when setting the bandwidth when it asks about auto configuring if I click yes a warning box pops up but doesn't say anything other than "warning". I have tried rebooting and refreshing pages with control f5 but still no luck.

Good shout, we'll have to add that in. Though I wouldn't recommend using advanced setup unless there is some very specific low latency traffic you want to be sent/received first. 

Don't worry about the warning, if you check your settings they will have changed for your speeds.

• Administrators

Just testing but I seem to get better games in black ops 3 when I setup hyper traffic for ports 3074 and 3075 udp source only. Not sure why. What does source only and destination only mean?

When I use the default for hyper traffic to my xbox it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is the default destination only, source only, or both? And what ports does it include?

It's quite technical so I wouldn't recommend you go into that. I would just use the XBL service instead. Advanced is really only there for any games not in the current list. 

It will make a difference because even loading a website can cause slight lag so enabling it will make sure that the game is doesn't give you those slight laggy moments when going for a kill.

There are ? on the router next to some of the options telling you a brief description of what they do.

I'm sure we can compile a list, a lot of it should already be contained here - http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=user_manualthough it needs to be updated for the new upgrade which I have done some already.

If there is anything not there you would like to know, let me know!

Don't need all the details just wondering if source only would be upload or download only and destination being the other? Also the ports used by the default XBL would be good to know so that I can control which ports are prioritized. Sometimes opening or prioritizing too many ports or having duplicate rules can have adverse effects on some routers.

• Administrators

From my understanding source is the port you're sending the packets from and where you will receive acknowledgement from the server to. So destination is the port you're sending to.

It opens quite a few, way too many to be able to prioritise manually. 

I'd just recommend using the normal service or perhaps the specific ports you said above. Either one should work, whether it is a measurable difference may not always be clear.

From my understanding source is the port you're sending the packets from and where you will receive acknowledgement from the server to. So destination is the port you're sending to.

It opens quite a few, way too many to be able to prioritise manually.

I'd just recommend using the normal service or perhaps the specific ports you said above. Either one should work, whether it is a measurable difference may not always be clear.

Thank you.

Something else I'm wondering is this.

XBL says port 53 is used. However forwarding this port is usually unnecessary. Using upnp I have never seen it in the list. I have had issues in the past when I have forwarded that port as well as some other ports with strange activity in the router log. And during these times my game was noticeable more laggy having those ports forwarded. So I have found in my opinion that forwarding some ports does damage instead of good. Same reason I don't recommend DMZ.

With hyper traffic if a port, lets say 53 is used, but it is not in a port forward rule or being opened by upnp. Does hyper traffic open that port?

And if so would having a port forward for that port as well be considered redundant?

• Administrators

If UPnP isn't opening it then it is won't be being used. I imagine when they create those lists of ports it includes absolutely everything that may be needed even if the majority of people don't need it at all.

No it will not open that port, it will simply be if a packet is sent/received to that port then it will send it out above everything else but it will not open any ports directly.

Fraser and Pete,

If I read this correctly, Hyper-Traffic takes the ports opened by UPnP and prioritizes the ones associated with whatever console we're using, it that correct? So for example if (5) ports are designed to be opened by UPnP for Xbox Live; Hyper traffic moves them to the front of the queue.

If I did not use UPnP and only used port forwarding, would I need to set up an advanced hyper-traffic rule for each port I wanted open, incoming and outgoing?

This is for my understanding of the hyper-traffic service only.

I'm just a user, not an admin but port forwarding and upnp should be doing the same thing. The only difference is port forwarding is done manually and those ports will always be open to the IP address specified. Upnp opens ports automatically but you have no control over witch ports and it can close those ports sometimes when not being used. If you go to upnp settings it will show a list of currently opened ports.

Thanks for your response Pete. I knew that was the case. The reason I asked was because I checked the UPNP tab on the GUI while my XB was active and in the hyper traffic lane to see which ports were open. In the UPNP GUI, the only opened port associated with my XB IP was 3074. I was wondering if the hyper traffic ports would appear in the UPnP list or if the hyper traffic ports were opened in the background and not part of the report on UPnP.

• Administrators

Thanks for your response Pete. I knew that was the case. The reason I asked was because I checked the UPNP tab on the GUI while my XB was active and in the hyper traffic lane to see which ports were open. In the UPNP GUI, the only opened port associated with my XB IP was 3074. I was wondering if the hyper traffic ports would appear in the UPnP list or if the hyper traffic ports were opened in the background and not part of the report on UPnP.

Hyper traffic ports won't be shown there, they will be using the same ports included in the XBL/PSN service in the Geo-filter.

If 3074 is the port being used for your Xbox and you have hyper traffic enabled then any packets bound for that port will be sent/received first.

Archived