ATT Microcell fails to activate connected to R1 (RESOLVED)

So I thought initially that my 1st gen MC was on the fritz. I found that the power adapter for it was actually bad. After waiting a few days I got a new power adapter for the MC. While I was waiting, I had updated the FW on the R1 to v3.5 and was doing ok there. After I received the replacement power adapter for the MC, plug it in and thought things would be ok, however I kept in mind that the original power adapter had gave out and was giving the MC more power than it needed. After getting the new one and attempting to have it go online, the MC failed to activate. I gave all the ATT support information a try and the MC would not activate. So I thought maybe the adapter damaged the MC so I bought another one. I have a newer 2nd generation MC which is black and have spent the last day trying to get it to activate with out success. I spent an hour online with phone support and after a 3rd attempt of trying to activate, it failed again. I thought the only thing that changed was I updated FW on the R1. So I took the R1 off line and connected a known working router that I had working with my 1st MC and power cycled the MC and BOOM, it activated. I'm wondering if my 1st MC that I took back to the store is actually working. I put it's IP address into this other routers DMZ. 

I had set up port forwarding for any protocols for the new MC and set up a reservation. I set port to 1 to 65535 as I don't know which ports ATT uses for these MCs so I thought giving all ports to the MC should be ok when I couldn't get the activation to succeed. I didn't have to set any Port Forwards with the older FW on the R1 before. 

I believe there maybe an issue with v.3.5 FW as what I had been using was what was loaded on the R1 prior to v.3.5 and my 1st gen MC was working just fine with that version of FW. Up until the power adapter went bad. I may call the store up and and see if they still have my old MC and if I can bring it back and test it. The one I bought yesterday was $150 on a new one which I might not have had too. 

I there maybe either a problem in the newest FW or if there is a better configuration in this FW that would help resolve this. IT would be nice to have a DMZ on the R1. 

Any ideas from engineering dept?  

Hi Fraser, Ya, I did that. The new MC has been working since yesterday on the non-netduma Mfr router so I wanted to see if it would still work on the R1. 

First thing I did was to remove the old PF configuration and then rebooted the router. I powered on the MC and its failing to activate the cellular connection. After that I set up some ports that I found in a old email regarding a 1st generation MC that I was having issues with. The router Mfr at the time asked me to do a wireshark capture with it connected to there router. 

They said to use ports 123, 443, 500, and 4500. I tried this on the R1 and un-fortunately its not working either. I presume if I hook up the other router, it will start working. I don't have to use any PF on that router. I didn't have to use DMZ either however after it successfully activated yesterday I put it in the DMZ anyways to avoid any problems as normal config for me. 

Any other suggestions to try? 

Any one else with a ATT microcell and a R1? 

Thanks for the feedback Fraser. 

Thank you Fraser, I'll give this a try when I get home. I think it maybe already however not sure. Too early in the morning here. LOL. I don't use the onboard WiFi and thats disabled.

So I thought initially that my 1st gen MC was on the fritz. I found that the power adapter for it was actually bad. After waiting a few days I got a new power adapter for the MC. While I was waiting, I had updated the FW on the R1 to v3.5 and was doing ok there. After I received the replacement power adapter for the MC, plug it in and thought things would be ok, however I kept in mind that the original power adapter had gave out and was giving the MC more power than it needed. After getting the new one and attempting to have it go online, the MC failed to activate. I gave all the ATT support information a try and the MC would not activate. So I thought maybe the adapter damaged the MC so I bought another one. I have a newer 2nd generation MC which is black and have spent the last day trying to get it to activate with out success. I spent an hour online with phone support and after a 3rd attempt of trying to activate, it failed again. I thought the only thing that changed was I updated FW on the R1. So I took the R1 off line and connected a known working router that I had working with my 1st MC and power cycled the MC and BOOM, it activated. I'm wondering if my 1st MC that I took back to the store is actually working. I put it's IP address into this other routers DMZ. 

I had set up port forwarding for any protocols for the new MC and set up a reservation. I set port to 1 to 65535 as I don't know which ports ATT uses for these MCs so I thought giving all ports to the MC should be ok when I couldn't get the activation to succeed. I didn't have to set any Port Forwards with the older FW on the R1 before. 

I believe there maybe an issue with v.3.5 FW as what I had been using was what was loaded on the R1 prior to v.3.5 and my 1st gen MC was working just fine with that version of FW. Up until the power adapter went bad. I may call the store up and and see if they still have my old MC and if I can bring it back and test it. The one I bought yesterday was $150 on a new one which I might not have had too. 

I there maybe either a problem in the newest FW or if there is a better configuration in this FW that would help resolve this. IT would be nice to have a DMZ on the R1. 

Any ideas from engineering dept?

Bimmer, I have an att MC as well. My setup is vzw ont>R1> netgear router in AP mode. When I first tried to connect the MC I had it attached to the AP. I could not get the top signal light of the MC to connect . As soon as I connected it directly to the R1 it lit right up. I'm nit sure where your issue is coming from, but att MC does work with a direct conncetion to the R1 running the.5m firmware.

HI Major,

So my 1st gen was connected to a switch which is connected to the R1. I've never had it connected to any 2ndary AP. The only thing I haven't tried is a more direct connect to the R1 bypassing the switch. It had been working on FW prior to v.3.5 then stopped however timing was impeccable as I did the upgrade to v.3.5 and not sure if the FW was a problem at the time before the power adapter gave out or not as I didn't look at the MC status after updating. It was about a day after I noticed that I didn't have M-Cell on my phone thus started the investigation. Even after getting a new adapter in for the 1st gen MC, it would not work so I presumed the MC was bad thus I bought the 2nd gen MC and its now doing the same thing. After putting the R1 back online last nite and powering on the MC and setting some ports before and after, it won't fully activated the 3G wireless, top most LED. It just blinks and should go solid.

I'll be trying Frasers suggestion, by pass the switch and may also do a full factory reset and see if that helps any.

Did you do anything else to the R1 configuration wise?

Glad there is someone else with an MC with the R1 working. Gives me hope.

Thank you.

I'll be trying Frasers suggestion, by pass the switch and may also do a full factory reset and see if that helps any.

Thank you.

Bimmer,

Before the AP was being used, I had the Mcell connected to a switch. So it's definitely possible. The only songs I have ticked in the misc settings are: enable upnp, enable link local ipv6, cookies. The only other things I could think of that may help lead you in a good direction would be to ask att to re-register your mcell. When I tried to link my mcell to the AP router att support ended up re doing everything like it was a new mcell activation. I made sure DHCP lease was off on the AP router so the MCell wasn't getting any conflicts. None of that mattered. I was still seeing the same failure of making the final cellular link as you're having. It wasn't until I connected it straight to the R1 that it worked. Also att recommends the MC be near a window if possible. Hope you get it sorted. It's probably something to do with the port forwarding you have going on. I know it sucks to mess all your settings up, but maybe try with upnp and see if it helps

Ya we tried registering all day Sunday. Could not get it to work at all. After I was off the phone with ATT. I thought lets change out the router so I took the R1 off line and put a different router online. Boom was reg'd with in seconds of getting it connected. So at that point it was working and reg'd until I turned it off last nite and connected the R1 and then turned it back on. I'll look at the R1 configuration soon.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ok so Wireless Workaround was already disabled.

I noticed that Turbo Mode was enabled. I guess I forgot about that setting or figured it wouldn't have any impact on the MC so it was enabled. So I disabled it and rebooted the router and left the MC ON. BOOM, MC activated and I got M-Cell on my phone. As a test I re-enabled Turbo Mode and rebooted the router. MC de-activated and I lost the M-Cell on my phone. Dis-abled Turbo mode and the MC re-activated. I guess I need to leave Turbo Mode OFF if I use a MC with this router as it seems to be a problem with the MC. 

Checking the Super Turbo Mode doesn't seem to bother the MC. It's still activated with ST enabled. 

Should I use Super Turbo Mode? 

Should the Turbo mode be reviewed for any possible VoIP device problems? 

What cases should Turbo or Super Turbo be used? 

Ok I'll give them both a try. I didn't know they both needed to be enabled if super is enabled. You might look into either making note of that in the FW or on the Wiki if it's not already.

^_^

If you're using super turbo mode then turbo mode needs to be enabled in order for it to work correctly. You could try them both together and see if it works. Either way thanks for letting us know what resolved it!

So trying both Super Turbo and Turbo modes together do work with the MC. I lost the MC signal on my phone. Soon as I disabled both and rebooted the router, I got the MC signal back. I presume there is something with the Turbo mode setting interfering with the MC when enabled.  :(

Thank you.

Bimmer,

Before the AP was being used, I had the Mcell connected to a switch. So it's definitely possible. The only songs I have ticked in the misc settings are: enable upnp, enable link local ipv6, cookies. The only other things I could think of that may help lead you in a good direction would be to ask att to re-register your mcell. When I tried to link my mcell to the AP router att support ended up re doing everything like it was a new mcell activation. I made sure DHCP lease was off on the AP router so the MCell wasn't getting any conflicts. None of that mattered. I was still seeing the same failure of making the final cellular link as you're having. It wasn't until I connected it straight to the R1 that it worked. Also att recommends the MC be near a window if possible. Hope you get it sorted. It's probably something to do with the port forwarding you have going on. I know it sucks to mess all your settings up, but maybe try with upnp and see if it helps

Would you run a quick test on your R1 with your MC. Just turn on Turbo mode and then reboot the router. See if you loose M-Cell on your phone. Disable Turnbo Mode after testing and reboot. M-Cell should reappear.

• Administrators

So trying both Super Turbo and Turbo modes together do work with the MC. I lost the MC signal on my phone. Soon as I disabled both and rebooted the router, I got the MC signal back. I presume there is something with the Turbo mode setting interfering with the MC when enabled.  :(

Okay interesting, well at least we know what is causing the issue

Fraser, is there anything you can do to check on this? I presume as FW develops and the features improve that at some point Turbo and Super Turbo would be desired to users for use and this would present a problem for users with these kinds of VoIP devices should they have them and encounter this issue. I presume presently this is either a compatibility issue or a bug?

Thoughts?

Okay interesting, well at least we know what is causing the issue

• Administrators

Fraser, is there anything you can do to check on this? I presume as FW develops and the features improve that at some point Turbo and Super Turbo would be desired to users for use and this would present a problem for users with these kinds of VoIP devices should they have them and encounter this issue. I presume presently this is either a compatibility issue or a bug?

Thoughts?

I'll see if Iain can look into this :) PM me with your IP and ensure remote support is enabled. Briefly summarise this thread in it as well please

• 3 months later...

Archived