Wassup from the Philippines

Mikonou

Hey Folks.

Heres the TLDR; - Heard about Netduma from a friend, didnt believe it would help. Tried it. And was pleasantly surprised.

Couple Requests:

1) More VPN support - I use pureVPN.

2) More support for MMOs (Blade and soul, Tera online, etc...)

3) Software scan, detection, and optimization suggestions.

I got the Netduma just about 4 days ago and have it all set up for PS4 destiny and PC gaming in general.

How did I hear about Netduma? A friend of mine in Vancouver grabbed one and was telling me about it. Now having some knowledge in networking and computers in general, I was about ready to call hogwash on it. Lets face it, most modern routers have QoS and port forwarding and DMZ, and I thought this was just another "gaming" brand fiasco.

The ordering process was quick and simple. And they were kind enough to accept my request to label the router as a test sample. Customs in the Philippines is corrupt to no extent, and it was one of the first few things I learned when I first moved here from Boston. The shipping was quick and painless and was packaged well and arrived in good condition.

I have 2 ISPs at home due to the number of users and devices and all the streaming. The first being a 100 down/up, and the second being a 180/20 down/up. Both are FiOS lines. Reading through the wiki here I found the Turbo to have a couple bugs so I figure I would set it up on the 100 down/up network. Bandwidth isnt really a huge factor in gaming, its more the latency.

ISP 1: Entry Router -> Netduma -> Asus RT68U (in AP mode) (Wireless devices and personal gaming)

ISP 2: Entry Router -> Netgear 24 port Gig switch (Local wired lines)

Now on to the Netduma. The netdumas anti flooding and congestion control was astounding and simple to use. having over 15 devices on the Netduma, the software managed them all flawlessly. Once I set up a few things, I went to the host tab and went straight into destiny. Being in the Philippines, I had to set my distance at 3000km abouts (Philippines is an island after all). And I had to slowly whitelist my friends outside the range, those in the US and UK and Aussie. I found a significant improvement when I was able to white/blacklist hosts that had poor ping to me. I havent really had a game under 2kd since I used the netduma, Bullet detection in Destiny was SPOT ON (FINALLY!), and.... this is a big one.... arc blade melees finally landing! I dont know about others but I have had a ton of problems in trials and pvp in general where my I would slap a guy 5 times with the arc blade and not register a single hit. Or I would sniper someones face off, and well... no damage again. So in conjunction with the PS4 and Destiny. The netduma is a win in my books and made me a believer. But lets face it, this stuff should really be done by the devs of the game.

Now on to the PC side of things, I play a few MMOs and some FPS (Battlefield 4, etc..), and I plan to get the division and other games coming out this year. Heres the problem, I feel that MMOs in general have no support. There are some MMOs that really need some kind of support since they are becoming more action oriented and a need for better latency is becoming a requirement. It would be great to be able to manually or automatically add games to the netdumas host control and congestion control (maybe im asking for too much). Maybe by scanning running games on a PC or something?

What the Netduma really does great is the congestion control. Its super simple, and idiot proof really. This is great for homes that have a ton of devices. Now you can actually do this without the netduma using your own QoS, and maually opening/closing ports, unplugging stuff...... But the Netduma just makes this so much easier and painless!

Great job on the software, and I hope to see better things in the future!

Cheers.

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum!

So glad the router arrived safely, was a bit taken aback when you said to label it is a test sample as they're corrupt there!

Really happy to hear you're loving the router. 

Your suggestions:

1. If you obtain the pureVPN config file you can use it with the advanced section of the VPN.
  2. MMO's usually have server lists don't they where you can pick the server you connect to? 
  3. You can set the Geo-filter up for ports so you can filter a game if you know the ports it is on

Hey welcome to the forum!

So glad the router arrived safely, was a bit taken aback when you said to label it is a test sample as they're corrupt there!

Really happy to hear you're loving the router. 

Your suggestions:

1. If you obtain the pureVPN config file you can use it with the advanced section of the VPN.
  2. MMO's usually have server lists don't they where you can pick the server you connect to? 
  3. You can set the Geo-filter up for ports so you can filter a game if you know the ports it is on

Yeah its pretty bad. Aside from a specific shipping method (they call it balikbayan bulk shipping). All other forms (DHL/fedex/etc...), are subject to long term inspection. They do this so they can charge long term "Storage fees", which is completely unnecessary. I had quite a tussle with them here when I first moved here, since they would literally hold a package for weeks and months so that you would either a) bribe them to release it, or B) pay a large storage fee for a tiny package. Ridiculous really.

I have actually been using the config file. Though what I mean is a VPN system similar to say the Asus RT68U where you are able to save different VPN locations and enable/disable them on the fly through a GUI. This should be quite easy to implement.

Yeah MMOs usually have a server list. problem is, most dont really say which is closer to you or has better latency to you. So I would still have to just manually find their IP or something and manually ping em via dos or something. An interface on the netduma that would do this automatically like the peer/host ping for consoles would be awesome if possible.

Actually did the third suggestion. though a seamless experience like say how the geforce experience does it for GPUs would be great (but then again.... that software optimization is kind of bonkers sometimes. setting stuff too high or too low at times).

Just some simple suggestions. Cant wait to see what you guys have lined up for the next updates.

The flood control is really helping out. My sis and Niece is staying with us for a couple days and theres literally 25 devices on the darn thing now --;

Cheers.

• Administrators

Wow that's very surprising! Glad we could prevent that happening for you. Will have to remember that when we send packages there. 

Ahh I see, yes I'm sure that could be implemented.

Do they not include their location in the server title and thus you're able to select the closest to you for best ping? They may show up on the Geo when you refresh the server list if you have the ports selected.

Awesome to hear that! The next upgrade is really exciting, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Mikonou, it's extermely cool that there is a DUMA in the Philippines :)

Really glad your enjoying your router. The problem with PC games is most of them use dedicated server clusters so you always play on the same location regardless. If you fancy you could add the ports for the game and find out for yourself.

We've got a new update with hyper-lane feature that allows you to byapss all traffic so your PC games will benefit from that.

Also please feel free to hang about the forum it's a really chilled place with loads of gaming enthusiasts 

Cheers from UK!

Archived