Will the Netduma R1 solve my internet problem?

Wake_

When I play CSGO, during the day, my internet is fine. I get around 30 ping no lag. When I play during the evening/night I start to lag because there's more people using the internet bandwidth. I live in a household of 7, there's between 2-5 people streaming HD videos (Youtube, Netflix etc.) during the evening/night which is when I start to lag. The problem is, during these times, my ping will go up to 60-90 and I'll rubberband like crazy but this is what my netgraph looks like ingame http://i.imgur.com/v4XV2Vw.png- 0% packet loss, 0% choke and not crazy high ping. My internet package is 50down/5up. This is where I'm not sure if any QoS router will solve my problem. My current router is an Apple AirPort Extreme 5th Gen, and has no QoS capabilities. I don't want to spend $320 CAD, to only find out it didn't fix my problem. Does Netduma offer refunds if the product doesn't work as advertised?

Edit: I talked to an ISP representative and they said that a router with bandwidth prioritization may fix the problem but they don't know for sure unless I try it.

Product works as advertised and then some.

Your issue is too many users, if I were you I'd wait about 3 more weeks for .6 firmware to release and see what people are saying about it and from that feedback consider the Netduma R1 as .5 fw has an issue with the device priority (flower).

What you're describing (your issue) will be fixed in little time with Device Prioritisation.

I tested the netduma all weekend like this:

Consoles (2)

Devices (6) phones, pads and a laptop

Butter smooth while doing that with the netduma. (no complaints from my son)

Without the netduma on my netgear and same devices was the complete opposite and there were lots of complaints from my son.

I tested the netduma all weekend like this:

Consoles (2)

Devices (6) phones, pads and a laptop

Butter smooth while doing that with the netduma. (no complaints from my son)

Without the netduma on my netgear and same devices was the complete opposite and there were lots of complaints from my son.

What down/up do you have?

I had 6mb down and 1mb up and now 53mb down and 17mb up and on both lines I set 70% congestion control each way and this stopped local congestion like no other Qos I have tested.

I have 1ms of jitter using reactive when my son streams and surfs.

Obviously you have to have a jitter free line for this in the first place.

I had 6mb down and 1mb up and now 53mb down and 17mb up and on both lines I set 70% congestion control each way and this stopped local congestion like no other Qos I have tested.

I have 1ms of jitter using reactive when my son streams and surfs.

Obviously you have to have a jitter free line for this in the first place.

How do I know if I have a jitter free line?

You can use cmd on windows or download ping plotter pro free for 30 days then it reverts to the free version.

https://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Type 8.8.8.8 into target and press go, do not use the internet at all while you test so only have the device connected that you are running the test on.

Test off peak and peak times.

You can use cmd on windows or download ping plotter pro free for 30 days then it reverts to the free version.

https://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

Type 8.8.8.8 into target and press go, do not use the internet at all while you test so only have the device connected that you are running the test on.

Test off peak and peak times.

What should I be looking at while testing? To determine if I'm jitter free or not.

What time is it where you are and is there any one using the internet?

Base ping 14ms spiking to 33ms

If no one is using the inet while testing Iain is working on a jitter algorithm to help in such cases.

If it just because of others on your network then the congestion control will fix this already

What time is it where you are and is there any one using the internet?

Base ping 14ms spiking to 33ms

I don't think anyone else is using the internet right now but I'm not going to go knocking on doors at 2 in the morning to check lol, only phones/tablets that are idle should be connected right now.

Test again tonight at peak time and post the results, remember to only have the testing device connected and do not surf or stream etc.

At 2am in the morning you have 19ms of jitter in the test you provided.

Test again tonight at peak time and post the results, remember to only have the testing device connected and do not surf or stream etc.

At 2am in the morning you have 19ms of jitter in the test you provided.

I don't know if this is useful or anything but, here's my connection in-game right now http://i.imgur.com/o7b6x7j.png compared to this one at peak times http://i.imgur.com/v4XV2Vw.png - No lag at all, pretty much exactly what I want during peak times. I will do another test tonight, but pretty much what you're saying is that the Netduma R1 may not be able to help me?

If you are getting 73ms at peak time then you have a ISP congestion issue and you need to contact them with your ping plotter results.

The netduma at this point cannot fix wild ping fluctuations so i will not lie and say it does, Iain is working on an algorithm to pick the highest jitter peak and keep your pings at that level because a static high ping 100% better than a wildly jumping around ping for online gaming.

If you are getting 73ms at peak time then you have a ISP congestion issue and you need to contact them with your ping plotter results.

The netduma at this point cannot fix wild ping fluctuations so i will not lie and say it does, Iain is working on an algorithm to pick the highest jitter peak and keep your pings at that level because a static high ping 100% better than a wildly jumping around ping for online gaming.

So even if I were to limit others using a lot of bandwidth at peak times I wouldn't be able to lower my ping and get rid of the lag I have at those times? My ISP already knows that I have a congestion issue during these times. I do know that they split the node in my area a couple months ago that reduced the saturation issues in my area. The ISP representative I talked with earlier said that my issue is with everyone in my household using my available bandwidth. They did say if I were to limit bandwidth for others it could potentially fix my issue, but said I won't know unless I try. This is my current router: http://www.amazon.com/AirPort-Extreme-802-11n-5th-Generation/dp/B0057AVXJA- Could my router play a big role with this problem?

It is showing jitter at 2am in the morning which is ringing big alarm bells but of course people on your network at peak times will only add to the ISP congestion.

The congestion control on the netduma will eliminate local congestion.

It is showing jitter at 2am in the morning which is ringing big alarm bells but of course people on your network at peak times will only add to the ISP congestion.

The congestion control on the netduma will eliminate local congestion.

Okay, if the netduma is able to elimate local congestion, I'm willing to buy it. As you said, Iain is working on an algorithm that could only help me out even more? If you could give me a final yes or no on if I should buy the product that would be great. I just want to fix a problem I've been dealing with for years. Not being able to play with friends sucks.

For me this router is amazing I have a jitter free line that is static at 17ms when my son is online and streaming and surfing I use reactive and 70% congestion control and only see 1ms of jitter.

So the congestion control definitely does its job, it is up to you whether you buy or not.

Maybe others will chime in on whether you should or not.

For me this router is amazing I have a jitter free line that is static at 17ms when my son is online and streaming and surfing I use reactive and 70% congestion control and only see 1ms of jitter.

So the congestion control definitely does its job, it is up to you whether you buy or not.

Maybe others will chime in on whether you should or not.

Alright, really appreciate the help :) 

I really want to buy it before 2pm GMT so I can get it as soon as possible.

Will wait for a bit though to see if anyone else has any other opinions.

:)

I do not want to say yes buy it as you have an ISP issue that needs either fixing or move to an ISP that is not over subscribed in your area.

But if you do get it sorted then there is no better gaming router for me.

:)

I do not want to say yes buy it as you have an ISP issue that needs either fixing or move to an ISP that is not over subscribed in your area.

But if you do get it sorted then there is no better gaming router for me.

Okay, I'll hold off from buying it today. I'll talk to my ISP's support when I wake up later. Is there anything important I should bring up to the support? Unfortunately changing to another ISP is not really an option for me. I've tried to convice my family but the internet is fine for them so they don't see the point in changing.

Archived