Best way to run another router with the duma?

I don't have a Netgear but I figure you can do the same thing I have done with my Asus router.  Set it up like this. Modem>R1(wireless off)>Netgear(as Access Point).  The only difference with the recommended setup for you is my Asus is where I recommend you Netgear router is.  As an access point the routing capabiities will be turn off and only the wifi capabilities will be turned on.  Hope this makes sense.  Let us know how it goes.  

Edit: Oh yeah you will need to connect the R1 to the Netgear with an ethernet cable.  LAN to LAN.

• Administrators

Great advice for how to use another router here. In terms of R1 wifi, if you're experiencing some disconnects disable wifi workaround in settings > miscellaneous. Also I'd recommend using a wifi analyser to find the best/least congested channel and then choosing this in settings > wifi. This may help, otherwise you can turn it off here as well.

So I tried hooking up my netgear. It has a good signal but I can't access the internet on any device. I hooked it up straight to the duma. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't put it into ap mode or if I'm doing something else wrong. I'm not to computer savvy so as easy a setup as possible would be best. Thanks in advance. And thanks for the earlier replies.

What brand/model Netgear router do you have? You can probably Google the router brand/model and access point mode and I betcha there are some directions out there somewhere.

Did you turn the wifi off on the netduma?

Is your wifi network broadcasting and you just can't log in?

If you don't have access point mode on the router try the following:

Turn off Wi-Fi on the R1

Plug the router into the duma using the LAN port (one of the 4 ports on their own as opposed to the single WAN port)

Make sure the router's IP is in the same subnet as the R1 (so if your R1 is 192.168.88.1 set the router IP as 192.168.88.2 (or another free address if that's taken.. the 192.168.88 bit is the important part)

Turn off DHCP on the router

Connect a wireless device and check what IP it's assigned, if it's in the same subnet as the R1 (192.168.88.x) then you should be good to go.  If you get an IP starting 169.x.x.x then there will be a bit more configuration to do.  Usually it's not needed

Ok so I don't know why the first time I hooked it up I couldn't access the internet. I tried again and it works fine now. I'd like to know though can I leave the duma WiFi on for one of my Xbox that isn't wired? So I can still use the geo filter when I play on it.

If you leave the wifi running on the netduma you will have interference with the access point. So for best results turn it off. The Netgear's wifi should be plenty enough for your purpose.

Archived