Red/yellow bar and lag in Destiny PvP (Xbox One)

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I'm just looking for some help on my connections in Destiny's crucible. I consistently get a red and yellow bar and lag whenever I find a match, and I have all of my Netduma R1 settings exactly right. I've entered the correct bandwidth speeds (180 down/ 12 up); disabled deep packet processing; disabled IPv6 in misc., LAN and WAN; enabled turbo mode; and I have the reactive algorithm active. I have my geo-filter set with peer ping ticked, strict mode unticked and also ping assist set to 0ms. Can anyone please help me or suggest what I should do to no longer keep getting red and yellow bar connections? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OK I'll try that. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I have only 3 devices connected to my Netduma (my xbox, my laptop, and my brothers xbox). Each have 33 set to them in congestion control, and I have my sliders set at 70% (just figured I'd throw this in there in case I should change anything).  

With strict mode ticked, I'm instantly being kicked from lobbies I join. When I have it unticked, I'm able to get into lobbies but I keep getting a red and yellow bar =/. I hope a moderator can help me out. 

I have it at 700 miles. I'll give it a try. I'm mainly confused about this because my peer pings tell me the pings are great (they range from 20 to 50 ping when I find a game), but when I'm actually in the game I'm getting red and yellow bar and lagging. Can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Thanks for the suggestions though secretface. 

• Administrators

Firstly reset device prioritisation & apply then leave it alone - there is a bug that will be resolved in the next version. 

Have you got auto&bleeding edge cloud ticked and applied in settings > miscellaneous? 

Yep, I had both cloud settings ticked when I kept getting red bars and laggy lobbies. Do you think this may have solved my problem: after trying everything, I removed my console from the Netduma, rebooted both my Netduma and modem, then reconnected my console to the Netduma. Ever since doing that, I've played about 6 or so games in a row with the geo-filter how I originally had it (about 700 mile radius with PA set to 0ms, strict unticked) and they've all had awesome connection and I've had green bar every game. Perhaps the reboot to everything allowed my changes to my Netduma settings to work? I did do quite a few changes to optimize them to my preferences.   

• Administrators

Yep, I had both cloud settings ticked when I kept getting red bars and laggy lobbies. Do you think this may have solved my problem: after trying everything, I removed my console from the Netduma, rebooted both my Netduma and modem, then reconnected my console to the Netduma. Ever since doing that, I've played about 6 or so games in a row with the geo-filter how I originally had it (about 700 mile radius with PA set to 0ms, strict unticked) and they've all had awesome connection and I've had green bar every game. Perhaps the reboot to everything allowed my changes to my Netduma settings to work? I did do quite a few changes to optimize them to my preferences.   

Thats great news! A reboot is always a good option, keep us updated if it continues to play well :)

Update: so I've played for a few hours today, and I noticed I started getting lagging lobbies again and getting red bar. I switched games and played Black Ops 3 for a while to see if it was just Destiny that was laggy, and I was lagging on BO3 too. What do you suppose is the best thing for me to try and do to fix this? My speedtest still shows I'm running a 180/12 too (I reset device prioritization when doing so).  

• Netduma Staff

Update: so I've played for a few hours today, and I noticed I started getting lagging lobbies again and getting red bar. I switched games and played Black Ops 3 for a while to see if it was just Destiny that was laggy, and I was lagging on BO3 too. What do you suppose is the best thing for me to try and do to fix this? My speedtest still shows I'm running a 180/12 too (I reset device prioritization when doing so).  

What was the ping to the host in those games? Also try running an internet diagnostics test when that happens to see what your base ping is :)

Ping graph shows pings are ranging from 20-40. Can it be my congestion control? I have 3 devices connected to my Netduma (my xbox, my brother's xbox, and my laptop; all connected with an ethernet cable). Distribution is 33% for all 3 with reactive algorithm. 

I gave it a day to see if anything got better and it hasn't =/. All of my settings are correct (you can ask me any questions if you want any details on any of them), I just feel like there's something hidden that isn't allowing my Netduma to get its full power with my console. It'll show 20-50 ping on the ping graph, but I'm red/yellow bar in game and lagging. It just seems a bit odd. Apologies for all of these posts, I just want to figure out a fix to make it work like intended lol 

• Administrators

Hey Joe, ensure device distribution is reset and applied & then don't touch it. 

Make sure your anti-flood is on 70/70 when gaming. Alternatively you could follow this buffer bloat guide to ensure you're getting the best connection on your end as possible as with the pings you're getting the game should be running smoothly so buffer bloat may be an issue here.

Hey Joe your speeds are identical to mine and I see you are in NJ as well. I recently disabled Geo and had some really good gaming. I also used an old router via wifi for two hrs and had very little to no lag. You have comcast?

Fraser: I messed around with my sliders and found a sweet spot where I got green bufferbloat bars and an A/A+ rating. I will give it a go while gaming and see if things play well then let you know. 

Secretface: Yes I have comcast. With geo off it's worse for me, because not only am I lagging but so is everyone else lol I'm going to give this bufferbloat test a shot and see if things work better for me.

Thank you both for replying.  

Fraser: I messed around with my sliders and found a sweet spot where I got green bufferbloat bars and an A/A+ rating. I will give it a go while gaming and see if things play well then let you know. 

Secretface: Yes I have comcast. With geo off it's worse for me, because not only am I lagging but so is everyone else lol I'm going to give this bufferbloat test a shot and see if things work better for me.

Thank you both for replying.  

Yes bufferbloat can also be a factor. Not sure the lag you are getting. Me I'm just a second behind. Not much rubberbanding or anything else just a delay . Turning off the geo worked last night. Not sure about today.

I've played for a few hours now and things seem much much better for me with my sliders lowered to where I get a green A+ bufferbloat rating. Still not perfect lol but the difference in connections is highly noticeable. I have my sliders down to between 40-50 though, is that unusual for my connections to be better with congestion control that low? I'm not going to question it because things have played a lot better for me, just a little curious to know. Thanks again for the bufferbloat tip, Fraser =] 

• Administrators

I've played for a few hours now and things seem much much better for me with my sliders lowered to where I get a green A+ bufferbloat rating. Still not perfect lol but the difference in connections is highly noticeable. I have my sliders down to between 40-50 though, is that unusual for my connections to be better with congestion control that low? I'm not going to question it because things have played a lot better for me, just a little curious to know. Thanks again for the bufferbloat tip, Fraser =] 

Not unusual as that is what works to get the best buffer bloat rating for you, others may have it lower or higher but it is all about what works best for your personal connection. No worries glad it's improved!

Archived