Improvements when "YOU" are the host.

Before I create a suggested enhancement ticket I wanted some thoughts on the idea/concern to see if it's at all justified and that I'm thinking about the situation correctly.

The situation appears to be this last night. I was matchmaking in blops 3 and saw multiple large red circles which is an indicator that I was the host. The issue I was having is the game was a 12 person lobby and it started us out 3 vs 3 it appears it was due to having the minimum people to start the game but didn't fill up the lobby to the maximum 12 players which is what usually happens.

I figured the geo-filter and ping assist was still influencing who could connect to me so I quickly slide the ping assist bar and the geo filter bar large enough to encompass many many more people and slowly people started to be added to the lobby.

What would be nice is being able to allow some type of override so that if a Duma user is the host that the router detects that can temporarily disables those settings to that the lobby can be filled and since you're the host it doesn't matter (within reason) who you connect to at that point.

I've seen the same situation as well when I'm not the host that lobbies wouldn't have players added to them and assume its' another Duma hosted lobby or that for some reason a player with NAT issues we made the host.

Does this make sense at all? Thoughts?

• Administrators

Interesting idea, if you want to fill up the lobby that would work for sure. On the connection side of things, you could essentially get people worldwide connecting which would affect the game. Perhaps auto expanding an extra 1000km or 2 would be best in this scenario

Interesting idea, if you want to fill up the lobby that would work for sure. On the connection side of things, you could essentially get people worldwide connecting which would affect the game. Perhaps auto expanding an extra 1000km or 2 would be best in this scenario

Yea if it auto disabled when you're the host it would use the normal matchmaking logic built into the game. Games generally use "some" logic as in I would get connected to US servers not Euro servers when queueing up w/o the netduma, but yes you would be at the mercy of whatever built in matchmaking logic the game used. I just noticed it because I was probably set a little strict a few games and the Blops 3 servers basically said since we can't find a game for you we'll make you the host and it added a couple people to my peer to peer lobby but had issues adding very many due to the strict settings. When I noticed what was going on I slide my ping assist slider and my geo radius to basically encompass the entire US and the game added a few more people.

It's actually too bad that they used dedicated servers for Blops3 as the netduma would have been AMAZING for an entirely peer to peer matchmaking game, but with how the game utilizes the dedies it's basically relegated to helping you connect to the dedi closest to you.

From what I've read there is talk of being able to block the dedicated servers in an upcoming firmware version... Take that with a grain of salt until a dev comments on it.

Not block but temp ban. Pretty sure that's coming just dunno when.

Thanks. I would settle for a temp ban. That server in the middle of the US is atrocious!

The kansas server is actually really good (if you're close enough to it) I get decent quality games 550 miles away in Indiana sadly that's the closest dedi to me :(

Ah see, I'm in Ohio... You get a much quicker ping response time... So likely, if you're on Xbox One and play hardcore kill confirmed, you've killed me plenty of times while on that server lol I do what I can to avoid it. But that's usually the one I get thrown on if I'm on a dedicated server. Maybe I should petition M$ to put one in Columbus instead of trying to block dedies....

Ah see, I'm in Ohio... You get a much quicker ping response time... So likely, if you're on Xbox One and play hardcore kill confirmed, you've killed me plenty of times while on that server lol I do what I can to avoid it. But that's usually the one I get thrown on if I'm on a dedicated server. Maybe I should petition M$ to put one in Columbus instead of trying to block dedies....

Yea distance/ping is what matters it could be the highest quality server in the world but you'll lag if you're far away. I really wish there were more dedis they're way too sparse as it is right now. I would rather have 100% Peer to peer than the current configuration.

Archived