Twitch buffering

My mate has been streaming a load of cod lately so I've been jumping on to watch,now whenever I join the stream with sliders at 100% both d/u and distribution reset and updated the stream constantly buffers,last night I decided to drop both sliders down to 70 which helped but still would buffer around every 45 seconds so I went lower with 20% on both d/u and it streamed flawlessly?can anyone explain that to me?I would have thought having them both at 100 would have given me the best quality with no buffering,I was the only one home so nobody was eating up the bandwidth

1) Buffering on Twitch is most likely because your friend is not partnered, so they have no Quality Options (viewers CANNOT choose what quality (Mobile, Low, Medium, High, Source) they watch the stream in. So, your friend may have his bit rate set too high? Even partnered streamers do this just because they can. He should strive for 2500 as the maximum even at 720p. If he wants to stream @ 60fps, he should drop his resolution down to 540p and keep the bit rate at 2500. Twitch chose 2500 as the max for unpartnered streamers because it's on the lower end of bandwidth spectrum and most low-end PCs and mobile devices can process it.

2) Many ISPs will throttle during peak hours to make sure there is enough bandwidth for all customers. Time Warner Cable (that I have) in the U.S. is notorious for overselling coverage, so in the evenings when everybody is on and I watch streams, I have to set the quality options to "High" if I don't want constant buffering, and... These are from partnered streamers as well.

• Netduma Staff

1) Buffering on Twitch is most likely because your friend is not partnered, so they have no Quality Options (viewers CANNOT choose what quality (Mobile, Low, Medium, High, Source) they watch the stream in. So, your friend may have his bit rate set too high? Even partnered streamers do this just because they can. He should strive for 2500 as the maximum even at 720p. If he wants to stream @ 60fps, he should drop his resolution down to 540p and keep the bit rate at 2500. Twitch chose 2500 as the max for unpartnered streamers because it's on the lower end of bandwidth spectrum and most low-end PCs and mobile devices can process it.

That's interesting. So if you're not partnered, everyone who watches your stream watches it at the same quality you're uploading it?

Archived