Trace goes to Kansas no matter host.

Ok so i need some help. I am in Chicago suburbs and playing BO3 is almost unplayable. I die superfast and my TTK takes forever. I upgraded my internet speed to where i am getting 80Mbps down and 12Mbps up.

If I set my geo filiter to include Kansas and the east coast I almost always get a host that pings well but clearly gives the advantage to other players and almost always is in Kansas. If i bring my geo in to about 400miles I get great pings and can clearly stay alive for longer even in fights i lose which i dont mind. But some hosts with in 400 miles are super choppy then it migrates hosts and kicks me off. I can not connect consistently to a good host.

When I trace my ping it always goes to Kansas befire it goes to the host. Can some one explain this? Is every one have this issue if no can i correct this?

Sorry to say the trace feature isn't accurate. So don't put too much emphasis on that feature. Rely more so on the ping. I believe the admins were going to remove it but that is in the future.

Ok so i need some help. I am in Chicago suburbs and playing BO3 is almost unplayable. I die superfast and my TTK takes forever. I upgraded my internet speed to where i am getting 80Mbps down and 12Mbps up.

If I set my geo filiter to include Kansas and the east coast I almost always get a host that pings well but clearly gives the advantage to other players and almost always is in Kansas. If i bring my geo in to about 400miles I get great pings and can clearly stay alive for longer even in fights i lose which i dont mind. But some hosts with in 400 miles are super choppy then it migrates hosts and kicks me off. I can not connect consistently to a good host.

When I trace my ping it always goes to Kansas befire it goes to the host. Can some one explain this? Is every one have this issue if no can i correct this?

I'm in the same boat as you. Is your gameplay jittery? I live inOklahoma and always get the Kansas server.

I've said this before but nobody seems to remember... Geo-Locating an IP address is not 100% accurate. I don't know what database the Netduma team is using to map IPs to their locations, but I will say it again - When something shows up in Kansas, odds are 99% of the time they are NOT located in Kansas. This means the IP can not me found in the database, and for some odd reason IP mapping defaults to Kansas as the location.

For example, 9/10 times when I'm on AT&T's LTE on my phone and I open the speedtest.net app - it finds my IP and thinks I'm in Kansas so it shows me the Wichita server to test to. I am in NJ so clearly I'm not in Kansas lol

Another example is when I'm playing with a friend who lives in Michigan. His circle shows up in Kansas, but I've known him for years and that's not where he lives. Now if he disconnects his Nighthawk router and reboots his modem - his IP changes and his location goes back to Michigan.

This can be looked up and there are countless articles about geo-location accuracy, and forum posts of people saying the same things on their ISP forums.

Basically if you live on the east coast and you're connect to a server that shows up in Seattle, but you have 15ms ping - it's located in the wrong place. There is no way it's physically possible to ping 15ms across the entire country. The speed of light can't be made faster lol

• Administrators

Hi guys,

please ignore the trace feature. Basically core routers in the Internet are constantly swapping IP addresses so the locations are very often wrong for core routers. I only added the feature because I thought it was kinda cool unfortunately it's quite inaccurate. I don't plan on removing it unless it becomes a real issue here. In the new message a dialog box does come up stating that it's inaccurate.

Just focus on the ping. 

Archived