Internet Speed Issues with QoS enabled

I have a XR500. I have a internet plan of 150mb/s with Cox internet. I've done countless modem/router resets... I've reset my router to default factory settings, had my computer directly connected to my modem...the whole nine yards. Every one of our 18 devices in the household couldn't get above 15mb download speed with QoS enabled on default factory settings nor settings I had before the factory reset while connected to the router. I've tried multiple combinations afterwards with Anti Bluffboat always/never/when needed (also at 70% and 100% markers), Traffic Priorization enabled/disabled, and QoS on/off. 

The only culprit that brings our internet speed down from 100+ download speed to under 15 mb/s is QoS enabled. I'm wondering if any tech can help me out on this issue. I feel like I've paid $300 for a router with all these features that I can't use without losing 90% of my internet speeds. Please help asap thank you. 

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, tsimpson said:

I have a XR500. I have a internet plan of 150mb/s with Cox internet. I've done countless modem/router resets... I've reset my router to default factory settings, had my computer directly connected to my modem...the whole nine yards. Every one of our 18 devices in the household couldn't get above 15mb download speed with QoS enabled on default factory settings nor settings I had before the factory reset while connected to the router. I've tried multiple combinations afterwards with Anti Bluffboat always/never/when needed (also at 70% and 100% markers), Traffic Priorization enabled/disabled, and QoS on/off. 

The only culprit that brings our internet speed down from 100+ download speed to under 15 mb/s is QoS enabled. I'm wondering if any tech can help me out on this issue. I feel like I've paid $300 for a router with all these features that I can't use without losing 90% of my internet speeds. Please help asap thank you. 

Hi, welcome to the forum! That doesn't sound right at all, lets get to the bottom of it.

First off, how are you conducting your speed tests? Is this on a wired PC using a site like speedtest.net? Have you tried swapping out the cable?

Which version are you using, and is there anything unique about your connection? (PPPoE, IPv6 etc).

Also, if you enter 1000/1000 into Set Bandwidth on the Anti-Bufferbloat menu does that improve the situation?

Yes I am using a computer that is wired using speedtest.net. I'm not sure what PPPoE or IPv6 is?

Interestingly enough though when I did enable QoS with the speeds set to 1000/1000 I did recover a majority of my speed (85-95 download). Which is a massive improvement but still not competing with QoS turned off. Definately did show massive improvement though. My speed that it set to on the factory reset was 179.87/10.92 before changing it to 1000/1000. I also kept Anti-Bluffboat at 70%/70%.

So this shows that maybe there are settings tweaks we can make to optimize 100% of the speed I would get directly from the modem itself?

• Administrators

If you're not sure what they are you probably don't have them but just to be safe in Settings > Internet Setup does it have login information?

Have you changed any other settings other than Anti-Bufferbloat on the QoS page?

So if you put back in the speeds that you expect into Anti-Bufferbloat options, ensuring good put is enabled and it's set to Never what speeds do you get? 

Hey Fraser/Jack.. I think the Op has Cox ISP which I believe is a cable network so he wouldn't have PPPoE. Unless there's another company by that name.. So I don't think he would have to add any credentials in the router setup.. Should be just plug and play... Hope this helps! :) 

Zippy..

@Netduma Fraser Yeah Settings>Internet Setup has all the login information on it. I've tried Anti Bluffboat with all options tried, none affected the speed. WIth QoS on I get <15mb download and with it turned off I get 110+ mb download. I've tried combinations of everything inside the QoS panel.. including all Bluffboat options, QoS on/off, Goodput on/off, Traffic Priorization on/off , factory reset, everything.

The only single culprit that brings my speed back to normal is QoS off that I have personally seen.

It's literally mind bongling to me. When I tried the 1000/1000 as my speeds with QoS turned on it did seem to help quite a bit but still far from it being turned off. I computer is hard wired to the XR500, when it is directly connected to my cable modem I get speeds of 150+

• Administrators

So it says that your internet connection requires a login? That could explain the slower speeds but probably not to the extent that you're experiencing. 

How recently did you get the router? Sometimes introducing a new router it takes the ISP a little while to adjust. In Settings > Internet Setup change the MAC address of the router to the MAC address of the previous router you used (can usually be found on the underside of the router) and see if that helps.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, tsimpson said:

No my internet doesn't require a login. It's just a regular internet company Cox, just plug n play. I'll try the MAC thing and get back to you

Good stuff - let us know how it goes :)