No settings make a diffence with this game

Nuschler22

... Difference.... 

Doesn't matter what type of connection the router claims I have, the latency is typically the same as is the game play. 

I can be connected to a nearby host or across the country and I get the same game play. 

The first night I used ND, I had some great games. Then all of a sudden it was like a switch was turned and I was back to dying instantly with none of my shots hitting. Connecting to the same areas I had been all night. 

I can set the NetDuma for a small range with a ping assist of 20 ms. The connection in NetDuma can average 23 ms. In game I'm anywhere from 50 to 130ms on the exact same connection. Makes no sense. 

I've tried my own profiles as well as the CoD profiles.

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Nuschler22 said:

... Difference.... 

Doesn't matter what type of connection the router claims I have, the latency is typically the same as is the game play. 

I can be connected to a nearby host or across the country and I get the same game play. 

The first night I used ND, I had some great games. Then all of a sudden it was like a switch was turned and I was back to dying instantly with none of my shots hitting. Connecting to the same areas I had been all night. 

I can set the NetDuma for a small range with a ping assist of 20 ms. The connection in NetDuma can average 23 ms. In game I'm anywhere from 50 to 130ms on the exact same connection. Makes no sense. 

I've tried my own profiles as well as the CoD profiles.

Please don't make multiple posts Nuschler, it makes it really hard to help you out! There are issues ongoing with Black Ops 4 at the minute, both on our side and on Treyarch's side. We're soon to be releasing a revised Ping Assist feature and a new cloud update to see if it'll solve the issues.

The in-game ping adds input delay, which nothing in the world will ever be able to solve. In-game pings are notoriously inaccurate as well, so I wouldn't give them too much thought. On the other hand, your ping directly from your router to the server is massively accurate, and also the most accurate way to interpret the delay you're experiencing in-game.

Please check out my responses on your other threads :D

10 hours ago, Nuschler22 said:

... Difference.... 

I refuse to play BO4 atm until I've figured this out in IW, the game that's been closest (not very close but better than AW/BO3/WW2) to Ghosts in terms of connections for me. Ghosts was 99% buttery smooth, IW prior to its February 2017 patch was 30% good, and after that it's genuinely closer to good 1% of the time. That's no exaggeration. 

For the last few days on DumaOS I've been trying different settings, forcing one server only (my local, <50 miles away):

Screenshot_20181106-190434.thumb.png.429467ba43c6a58be409985770fe87d7.png

Prior to trying new QoS and traffic prior settings two days ago, 99% of games on this server would give me one bar performance. This was backed up by Wireshark tests I did showing up to 2650ms UDP delays between packets while the geofilter showed 7ms at the same time to the UK server. 

The day before last I tried playing IW and saw the most solid games I've seen in a row since last summer, which honestly isn't saying much because I played 4 games. Yesterday I got back on again and it was great for 5 games. The sixth game had me dying to a fraud who'd supposedly turn faster than me after I jumped over his head and 180'd with max sensitivity, yet his killcams would show no more than 5 sens and me turning really slowly. There was another guy in the lobby who averaged 0.7 kills per life but he was red screening me the frame I saw him, even if I rushed corners where he was standing. On 7ms ping for me, with a monitor that has just 1.6ms input lag at 60Hz (almost a tenth of the lag most monitors geared towards consoles have), that seems highly unlikely unless he was just lagging ahead of where I saw him. 

I persevered, stayed in the lobby, and next game on that same server I had the best connection I've seen in over a year. Super fast hit reg and tiny delays between consecutive rounds hitting, super smooth enemy movement, nobody suddenly appearing on my screen in a frame as if they'd apparated from a Harry Potter movie. It was just really unusually responsive and in sync. 

Next game same server gave me the WORST connection I've had for weeks, and that's saying something considering just how insultingly bad it was up until two days ago. No snapping and movement or accuracy could do anything for me, because I'd hit the chest of someone and just not get any hitmarkers. Swapped to a 20% faster firing weapon, still it was like a one bar. Every death involved me rounding a corner but apparently never getting around it lol. Up until that last game I was excited to try BO4 hoping it would actually be on good connections after all this time, but I guess not. 

Tl;dr - connection is highly variable on a low latency line even with <0.25ms average jitter.

Actually I'm thinking about what you said here regarding Netduma ping vs the BO4 in game latency meter. I recently read that rather than basing theirs off ICMP, game devs use another method of determining latency based off UDP:

"video game programmers often build their own latency detection into existing game packets (usually based on the UDP protocol) instead" 

This is likely why there's such a discrepancy. I used to believe that it was due to "processing delays" but the more likely explanation is that it's based off UDP, which is a far more accurate representation of your true latency since game packets aren't ICMP. Pings are largely irrelevant if your ISP is buffering gaming traffic because of priority placed on TCP/IP, because a low ping can mask lagging over UDP traffic, like this (check the delay between timestamps on the left from an IW game on 7ms ping):

_20181012_013810.thumb.JPG.c1f5ec8a7002751e877156aa55c5f25c.JPG

That's TWO AND A HALF SECONDS OF LAG BETWEEN TWO DOWNSTREAM PACKETS... on 7ms ICMP ping. It's probably safe to assume the in game meter is going to be far more useful for determining the true quality of a connection because unprioritised UDP will definitely fluctuate like that. Pings don't show gaming latency. 

No problem. 

The help provided in the box with netduma is so basic it's laughable. 

I'll just return it since it's too difficult to answer questions. 

You guys should be ashamed with the lack of support you offer. Instructions are terrible. One guy upset he's answering too many questions. 

No wonder this router has such a bad reputation.

I won't be back or bother you with anymore posts. 

By the way, seems like everyone else in this post agrees. 

I wouldn't be as harsh if this company didn't post videos on YouTube specifically claiming this device can help with the lag in this game , when obviously it does nothing. 

Just about every post I apparently pestered this company with "is an known issue with a fix coming soon." 

What a joke. 

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Nuschler22 said:

No problem. 

The help provided in the box with netduma is so basic it's laughable. 

I'll just return it since it's too difficult to answer questions. 

You guys should be ashamed with the lack of support you offer. Instructions are terrible. One guy upset he's answering too many questions. 

No wonder this router has such a bad reputation.

I won't be back or bother you with anymore posts. 

By the way, seems like everyone else in this post agrees. 

I wouldn't be as harsh if this company didn't post videos on YouTube specifically claiming this device can help with the lag in this game , when obviously it does nothing. 

Just about every post I apparently pestered this company with "is an known issue with a fix coming soon." 

What a joke. 

You're welcome to return the router if you're within your 14 day return window. The situation with Black Ops 4 is pretty frustrating for everyone at the minute, sure. That's why we're working overtime to come up with solutions while we wait for Treyarch to get it sorted on their end. I'm not sure where you got 'bad reputation' from - our software powers the best rated gaming routers on the planet, which I'd highly recommend checking out.

Either way, if you want to return your router just let [email protected] know if you're within 14 days of receipt.