XR500 or R1

Hi, 

I have now R1, and as per forum admins here we will wait more time to get Duma OS. So, do you advice me to buy XR500 or keep working with R1. 

The choice is yours. The R1 is still a great router for gaming as it is. The XR500 has more up-to-date hardware and the new dumaOS. If your R1 is serving you well at the moment then stick with that. I have both routers and still think they are both good.

my question is " does XR500 deserve its money, as I saw many people complained about it 

I like it, I think it is a great router. Theres those that like it and those that do not, that is the same with many man things. Do you think the router is worth the money?.......that is for you alone to decide. There are those that like and dislike the R1.  

I am a site moderator not an employee and the views I give are my own and not representative of Netduma.

• Administrators

Most of the complaints are by people missing certain small features such as ping assist or experiencing issues which are being investigated and fixed. 

The hardware is fantastic, great WiFi and has no issue running DumaOS. You get the best software with the best hardware. Equally DumaOS will come to the R1 so it's your decision.

• 2 months later...

I bought the xr500 and was very excited to plug in and get it going but it didnt work as I expected. My bufferbloat was bad my ping was fluctuating quite high when testing using ping plotter. I try moving the sliders around and it just wouldn't stop the ping spikes or bufferbloat . I have an arris modem 6183 maybe the two just dont get along very well I dont know. My bufferbloat is so much better when plugging my PC directly to the modem I actually get a A A A+ for the bufferbloat so I know it's not my line quality or my isp. I'm gonna keep on messing with the settings tonight if I cant fix it it's going back to the store. I bought the xr500 to see if dumaos was better than the R1 as far as the bufferbloat and ping spikes they are both about the same for me actually the r1 gave me better results . I also purchase the edgerouter x and that thing is amazing when you turn on sqm it's the only router that has kept my bufferbloat and ping spikes to a minimum. I wreally as hoping the xr500 with the dual core 1.7ghz cpu was as good or better than the edgerouter x but it's wasnt. I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.

• Administrators

I bought the xr500 and was very excited to plug in and get it going but it didnt work as I expected. My bufferbloat was bad my ping was fluctuating quite high when testing using ping plotter. I try moving the sliders around and it just wouldn't stop the ping spikes or bufferbloat . I have an arris modem 6183 maybe the two just dont get along very well I dont know. My bufferbloat is so much better when plugging my PC directly to the modem I actually get a A A A+ for the bufferbloat so I know it's not my line quality or my isp. I'm gonna keep on messing with the settings tonight if I cant fix it it's going back to the store. I bought the xr500 to see if dumaos was better than the R1 as far as the bufferbloat and ping spikes they are both about the same for me actually the r1 gave me better results . I also purchase the edgerouter x and that thing is amazing when you turn on sqm it's the only router that has kept my bufferbloat and ping spikes to a minimum. I wreally as hoping the xr500 with the dual core 1.7ghz cpu was as good or better than the edgerouter x but it's wasnt. I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.

Firstly please don't spam the same post across multiple topics. Just create a topic if you have an issue please.

Please see this guide on why you aren't getting A+ bufferbloat: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000075774-can-t-get-an-a-on-dslreports-here-s-why-it is not a good test to determine its effectiveness on your connection so I would strongly advise following the test steps at the bottom of the article above.