I need a netduma?

Areuz

I have posted on the forums before about possible issues with my connection from my ISP...well now I am quite sure it isn't my line or connection from my ISP. I have great ping and 250 Mbps Up/Down. I have GPON FTTH up to 1 Gbps. I was still having issues with my gaming experience and I was looking for a fix. I have a Nighthawk R7000 and I tried using it to route my internet through to use the QoS it has. This fixed almost all of my problems! This told me that I had some local congestion and that my ONT was routing packets as first come first serve. Also my IPTVs constantly send/receive traffic even in standby mode causing issues with gaming. The ONT doesn't have good QoS (DSCP class which doesn't focus on local packets just for routers beyond it). So now with this info I am almost certainly going to buy a Netduma considering the QoS on the R7000 isn't even close to the Duma's. I hope that the big update comes soon after my purchase now and I can use that to make my connection even better. I contacted my ISP about my "findings" and they told me they would talk to my ONT firmware company (Calix) and look for them to provide a fix. They also said Calix knows that the IPTV traffic was getting oddly prioritized over other traffic causing issues.

Questions:

Should I run my ONT in bridge mode to my Netduma?

- Along with this ^^ could I route my IPTVs through my Duma to use the QoS to include the IPTV traffic? They need to be connected to the ONT but if I put one of the ethernet ports in AP mode would that work? Or is that even possible?

Can I get my full 250 Mbps up/down with the Duma still operating at a good gaming level? This isn't a big deal if I can't because the gaming doesn't rely on that much bandwidth anyway.

Thanks for the help in advance and I am looking to purchase this right away! :)

Yes that is the best setup.

Along with this ^^ could I route my IPTVs through my Duma to use the QoS to include the IPTV traffic? They need to be connected to the ONT but if I put one of the ethernet ports in AP mode would that work? Or is that even possible?

Not sure how IPTV works, but if it uses ethernet I don't see why you can't plug it into the duma and use it's QOS... However, I would imagine a fiber optic cable to your house has way more than enough bandwidth so IPTV is not effecting your internet in any way.

Can I get my full 250 Mbps up/down with the Duma still operating at a good gaming level?

I get 240 down and 12 up so 250/250 shouldn't be a problem at all AS LONG AS YOU SET IT UP RIGHT... Lol I have to put that in caps because people buy the router and have no idea how to even plug it in and expect it to work out of the box. You seem like you know what you're talking about though so I trust that you can type in your bandwidth and click apply.

P.S. I'm super jealous. I want FTTP.

Yes that is the best setup.

Along with this ^^ could I route my IPTVs through my Duma to use the QoS to include the IPTV traffic? They need to be connected to the ONT but if I put one of the ethernet ports in AP mode would that work? Or is that even possible?

Not sure how IPTV works, but if it uses ethernet I don't see why you can't plug it into the duma and use it's QOS... However, I would imagine a fiber optic cable to your house has way more than enough bandwidth so IPTV is not effecting your internet in any way.

Can I get my full 250 Mbps up/down with the Duma still operating at a good gaming level?

I get 240 down and 12 up so 250/250 shouldn't be a problem at all AS LONG AS YOU SET IT UP RIGHT... Lol I have to put that in caps because people buy the router and have no idea how to even plug it in and expect it to work out of the box. You seem like you know what you're talking about though so I trust that you can type in your bandwidth and click apply.

P.S. I'm super jealous. I want FTTP.

Thanks for the reply. I know the IPTV doesn't use a lot of bandwidth but it is still traffic that can cause some problems for gaming (or so I have come to find from experience). And yes I am not a noob at networking lol. P.S. I feel very lucky to have FTTP especially for where I live.

Thanks for the reply. I know the IPTV doesn't use a lot of bandwidth but it is still traffic that can cause some problems for gaming (or so I have come to find from experience). And yes I am not a noob at networking lol. P.S. I feel very lucky to have FTTP especially for where I live.

This is what I'm currently dealing with, with cable internet.. So be happy with your little bit of IPTV lag lol

This is what I'm currently dealing with, with cable internet.. So be happy with your little bit of IPTV lag lol

1 second interval will show packet loss on any router in testing, I do not know why they have that setting.

2.5 and the PL should go, restart the test after changing to 2.5

1 second interval will show packet loss on any router in testing, I do not know why they have that setting.

2.5 and the PL should go, restart the test after changing to 2.5

Yeah I switch it here and there to test.. 2.5  still shows loss though so it's been major issues for me

Yeah I switch it here and there to test.. 2.5  still shows loss though so it's been major issues for me

Ah ok, it's just if I put mine to 1ms I get PL on my duma and if I go direct from my Billion router so I thought it was worth a shot if you had'nt changed it.

Must be frustrating.

Ah ok, it's just if I put mine to 1ms I get PL on my duma orif I go direct from my Billion router so I thought it was worth a shot if you had'nt changed it.

Must be frustrating.

Nah surprisingly as you can see the router has none. I only get packet loss on it when I try to run 2 at once

Archived