AT&T GigaPower speed questions

Hey folks,

First of all let me say I love the NetDuma and the dev team. They're doing great work and it's one of the best routers I've ever used -- and as a Network Architect for a hosting company, I've got a lot of experience with a variety of hardware and software routing/switching.

That said, I just had the fortune of moving to an area with brand new fiber and being able to upgrade to AT&T's GigaPower offering. The performance right off the modem is ridiculous. Look at this insanity: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4897953338lol. Unfortunately, it's more like 500/300 through the R1. Yes, I went through the tuning and speed guides on the wiki, and the only thing I didn't try yet was disabling IPv6. Just to clarify some things to avoid questions, the important things I've checked and set:

- MTU is 1500 per external checking, so I've left it at 1500 in the modem and the default (automatic) on the R1

- Deep Packet Inspection is disabled

- Turbo mode is enabled

- Super Turbo mode is enabled

- My bandwidth is set to 950/950

- I've reset and updated the CC distribution, then not touched the sliders

- UPnP forwarding/IGMP snooping are enabled

- WiFi is disabled and workaround is disabled

- VPN is disabled

- Quality CAT6 cabling throughout (and verified it's irrelevant, interchanged cables with/without R1 from PC to modem)

Where I previously had the R1 sitting (on the carpet with room on all sides), Turbo/Super Turbo mode apparently caused it to overheat and reboot constantly. I've since elevated it and put it on a solid surface, which seems to have solved the problem. However I still can't get the full speeds available to me. So, I have a few questions.

- Is enabling IPv6 really capable of reducing speeds this drastically (1/2 down and 1/3 up)? I imagine your firmware is an embedded Linux similar to the MikroOS Mikrotik ships on their hardware stock, which should mean that you're just using the IPv6 Linux kernel module and radvd to handle advertisements and addressing, none of which takes hardly any processing power at all. I just can't imagine why I shouldn't be able to use the native v6 my connection offers due some mysterious speed hit. If you could explain what you think the bottleneck there is, that would certainly be helpful.

Assuming I did disable IPv6 and it didn't help...

- Is a full gigabit connection just beyond the limits of the testing you've done on Turbo/Super Turbo mode? I would assume if you didn't have a line-speed gigabit WAN to play with you'd just test on gigabit LAN to emulate it, but maybe since the feature is so new in your firmware you really just didn't try it out yet.

- Are you planning to re-enable congestion control in a future iteration of your QoS kernel modules? Or is the 600MHz ARM CPU struggling to keep up with line-speed traffic without a lot of headroom to make it more efficient? I mean, gigabit seems incredible in the home but if there's a bunch of movie streams, game downloads, updates and consoles running at once, I'd still like the benefit of QoS on the LAN, y'know?

---

Any feedback or advice is welcome. Definitely not trying to bash your work in any way, and I might rewire my setup so the R1 is only used by the consoles for the amazing GeoFilters, with the rest of the house able to tap the rest of the bandwidth. For reference, I compared the performance to my ASUS AC68U, and it's capable of 800/400 without QoS and most firewalling disabled. I'd really like to not use it, as I got the R1 to replace it, but I might end up mixing and matching. We'll see.

Another Tech Wiz, welcome to the forum brother! And how is the weather in beautiful San Antonio?

Hoping I can get a fiber connection either of Cox finally upgrades our community here in Southern California or AT&T. I want that Gig kinda life!

Hey hey, thanks! Weather's like it always is in Texas -- can't decide what it wants to be one hour to the next, let alone each day. 80F, calm, and sunny today, been windy/rainy/in the 40s most of the previous weeks. Have to say I sorely miss living in San Diego, perfect weather year round. Tech scene is pretty great in TX though, so can't complain when it employs me well :D

I had decent luck with Cox a decade ago or so out in socal; hopefully they've kept it up or gotten better and you can get you some of that sweet fiber pie!

Reactive, probably should have mentioned that, although my understanding is that selects between behavior that's disabled altogether with Super Turbo mode, meaning it doesn't matter which you choose. But in case that's incorrect, I am using Reactive.

• Administrators

Just to clarify make sure you do the following:

• Reactive algorithm
  • 100% sliders
  • Device prioritisation reset
  • DPP off in settings > misc
  • IPv6 off in misc, wan & lan

If you're unable to achieve any faster speeds than that after doing the IPv6 off and the rest then you won't be able to get more out of it unfortunately. We tested it and were able to get about 800 so do turn off IPv6 and see if it improves.

With the current hardware I don't believe it will be possible to have CC working with Super turbo mode. 

Totally jealous of your speeds, looks like you're sitting on the server as well that ping is ludicrous haha

Haha, yeah, the speed and ping are insane. Guessing the speedtest server is hosted here in SAT -- might even be in one of my employer's datacenters (I work for Rackspace).

So, last night I went ahead and disabled IPv6 in Misc (link-local), WAN, and LAN settings. I also verified the CC algorithm is on Reactive, sliders are both at 100%, and did reset distribution/update distribution. I also disabled nearly everything in Miscellanous, just to see. DPP off, IGMP snooping off, UPnP forwarding off, stealth off, WiFi workaround off, even disabled auto-cloud/bleeding-edge cloud. Lastly, I verified VPN was disabled.

With all those changes, I was able to achieve 7-800 down and 3-500 up, which is definitely *better*. Re-enabling things one at a time, it seemed like IPv6 wasn't really that involved in the speed difference, but some combination of UPnP/IGMP snooping/stealth mode was. I wonder if you're implementing the stealth mode by packet filtering (netfilter/iptables perhaps?) and having to run all packets received through the filter is too much for the CPU. I also suspect that it's taking more work to calculate and perform the SNAT for outgoing packets than to reverse it (DNAT) for incoming packets, which probably explains the down/up discrepancy. Hard to say without being able to ssh in and run top and look at ip/ethtool and dig around in /proc and /sys. That's literally my day job and I'd help if I could, but I'm sure you guys don't want to share the special sauce, and that's fine. Just saying :)

For fun, I ordered a RouterBoard Hex last night that will arrive tomorrow, out of curiosity and to compare similar hardware (slightly better CPU @ 750MHz) but using their RouterOS firmware. I've always liked their hardware and software, and the specs state that for full MTU packets it can route/switch at gigabit line speed, so I figured I'd try to load up on functionality (IPv6, UPnP, QoS) and see how it performs. Not that I expect your fantastic CC/Geofiltering to be replicable, I know it's quite unique, but the first thing I need is a solid core router for my network. If I get that squared away, I'll probably hang the NetDuma off of it for my gaming consoles and carve them off 100Mbps or so for gaming and downloads/updates. We shall see!

My friend I have the netduma router with also a gigabit connection.I will confirm you will not get you're top speed using this router no matter what settings you try.

Keep the main router for pc and netduma for gaming. I get barely 30 up 30 down wired directly to my netduma so your lucky if you can get 300 plus

Figured I'd give an update on this now that I've received and configured the RouterBoard Hex I ordered.

By using the latest firmware and RouterOS, I was able to take advantage of their "FastTrack" forwarding feature, which allows for accelerated IP Fast Path in combination with NAT/connection tracking (which is the standard use-case for a SOHO router). I also have IPv6 enabled (and lots of other features), but am not using any QoS.

Without the FastTrack forwarding, I get around 300/300Mbps at 100% CPU. With FastTrack, I get the full 900/900+ at around 80% CPU. Granted, this RouterBoard does have a bit more powerful CPU than the one NetDuma is using, but it's still performing much better. I'm not sure what your Turbo/Super Turbo modes are doing, but I assume that you're taking advantage of the same hardware features for Fast Path forwarding (which I imagine is just a form of CTF - Cut Through Forwarding, enabled through the ASIC/SOC). So perhaps this is an area that you guys might want to take a closer look at :) Obviously I don't have access to the geofiltering you're offering, so I will probably end up combining the R1 with my Hex to use with my consoles only and limit to a slower chunk of bandwidth.

That does bring up a question. Does the NetDuma bandwidth setting actually *limit* to that bandwidth, or does it just control division within that bandwidth range? I'm sure I can empirically test it but the answer may dictate my network layout so if I can get a quick answer that'd be awesome :D

My friend I have the netduma router with also a gigabit connection.I will confirm you will not get you're top speed using this router no matter what settings you try.

Keep the main router for pc and netduma for gaming. I get barely 30 up 30 down wired directly to my netduma so your lucky if you can get 300 plus

Sounds like you may not have the latest firmware or didn't enable Turbo and Super Turbo mode. I was able to get 500+ pretty easily with the NetDuma with the latest firmware and those settings. The wiki has a tuning and speed guide which details the steps you have to take.

• Administrators

Hey Apsu, great to hear you managed to get the speeds higher, that's probably the max you'll be able to achieve. 

With the Geo-filter, deep packet processing etc I don't think we would be able to increase the speeds any higher.

Sounds like a good setup you'll have if you combine the Hex with the R1 :)

If you were to put sliders to 70% and do a speed test it would be about 70% of your speeds (if not on Super turbo) and ensure you don't lag. Prioritising devices if you took share excess off the devices wouldn't be able to reach higher than their limit. 

Archived