http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

On this report I got an a with the ping at 25-35 I have ping assists on set at 35 because on my speed test net were at 17? Should I set my ping to 40 or 50?

Go by what it says in your Netduma Internet Diagnosis page

On this report I got an a with the ping at 25-35 I have ping assists on set at 35 because on my speed test net were at 17? Should I set my ping to 40 or 50?

Hi evo

The best way to do this do a internet dionostics in the dumas gui, Then add say 20ms to that see how that goes

Ping Assist is for connecting to servers OUTSIDE of your Geo Filter if they meet your Ping Assist number.  Ergo, if you set it at 40, you SHOULD only connect to hosts outside of your filter if they ping in around 40ms.

The higher the number, the more lag in ping time you are willing to accept to game.

Conversely, if you put it at ZERO, you only connect to hosts within your Geo Filter.  This is beneficial if you want to camp a dedicated server other than the one in your neighborhood.  Example:  I live outside Seattle and the dedi here is shit.  I camp the Illinois server with ZERo Ping Assist and only end up playing on Chicago dedis or a random P2P game.

Hope that helps with the understanding.

JD

Ping Assist is for connecting to servers OUTSIDE of your Geo Filter if they meet your Ping Assist number.  Ergo, if you set it at 40, you SHOULD only connect to hosts outside of your filter if they ping in around 40ms.

The higher the number, the more lag in ping time you are willing to accept to game.

Conversely, if you put it at ZERO, you only connect to hosts within your Geo Filter.  This is beneficial if you want to camp a dedicated server other than the one in your neighborhood.  Example:  I live outside Seattle and the dedi here is shit.  I camp the Illinois server with ZERo Ping Assist and only end up playing on Chicago dedis or a random P2P game.

JD

What would you suggest if you only have 1 dedi in your country and it plays like rubbish.

Conversely, if you put it at ZERO, you only connect to hosts within your Geo Filter.  This is beneficial if you want to camp a dedicated server other than the one in your neighborhood.  Example:  I live outside Seattle and the dedi here is shit.  I camp the Illinois

JD

When it joins to the dedi ping were set to 35 and people from France had 150 ping when you die how are they able to join with that ping or is it just the dedi?

What would you suggest if you only have 1 dedi in your country and it plays like rubbish.

I guess that depends on what you see as an "acceptable response" to this question.

I am just going to assume the basis is "what can I do without petitioning Activision or buying my own dedicated branch to run matches on". :D

You're in Australia it appears, so my advice isn't going to make a ton of difference I am afraid, but here is what I have for a similar problem and how I am dealing with it.

I live outside Seattle and if you have read this forum, you know the Seattle dedi is a black hole.  I avoid it like the plague.  

I place my Geo Filter over other known dedicated server locations in other states.  I personally camp Illinois (about 2,100 miles / 3,380km) from me because another forum member plays there and turned me onto it.  This increases my ping from about 13-17ms to about 61-64ms.  But it plays so much better it is worth losing that occasional gunfight to lag.  Now I have been running my upload speed wide open (100) and using the slider on the download only.  This has made a difference for me, but I am not ready to say it "works" as it could have been placebo or just a good night.

1) For you, open up your filter to the whole world and note dedicated server locations that are within "acceptable" distance from you as an option.  

2) Place Geo Filter over one of the servers you want to camp and try.  Set Geo filter small, and set your Ping Assist to zero.

3) reboot the entire console, while the Duma is on and you are camping the server you want to try

4) Join Multiplayer and get in a lobby.  This will take a minute or two because I personally suspect they are doing something with IP's to connect you locally by force.

Play 5 games on that server and judge for yourself if it's better or worse.

Better?  Keep it and fine tune from there.

Worse?  Try another dedicated location and repeat as above.

ame="Dillinger" post="72859" timestamp="1449186191"]Ping Assist is for connecting to servers OUTSIDE of your Geo Filter if they meet your Ping Assist number.  Ergo, if you set it at 40, you SHOULD only connect to hosts outside of your filter if they ping in around 40ms.

Conversely, if you put it at ZERO, you only connect to hosts within your Geo Filter.  This is beneficial if you want to camp a dedicated server other than the one in your neighborhood.  Example:  I live outside Seattle and the dedi here is shit.  I camp the Illinois

When it joins to the dedi ping were set to 35 and people from France had 150 ping when you die how are they able to join with that ping or is it just the dedi?

The Geo Filter doesn't stop other players from joining the server that you are playing on.  The Geo Filter keeps you from joining THEM as host on their shitty internet.

The Ping Assist is used to connect to other hosts (usually P2P due to distance) outside of your Geo Filter that are AS GOOD OR BETTER than the number on your Ping Assist.

So say I try playing on your severs and am in the uk my ping would go to 99? Dose that mean I would get lag comp? Or would it be really buggy?

You never know till you try it.I myself believe lag comp does exist along with santa and the easter bunny... ;)

My next closest sever is almost 8000km away, with a ping of 130ms lol. I guess im stuck on the only rubbish server in Aus

If you only have one dedi then yes unfortunately your stuck.But if that dedi played good you'd be loving life... :D

IMO your best bet is to keep tweaking your settings until you find P2P games that are playable.And when you do find some P2P host that are decent be sure to rate them with a name,something like "good host" and how far he is away from you.It helps keep track of favorable hosts so next time that host comes up you'll know your ok connecting to him.

I think lots of people forget to rate hosts in P2P games due to the fact that BO3 is almost forcing dedi play.And then when you open up your GF and PA and catch a host say 800 miles away (just an example) and you say "forget that" and back out.But that could be a host you had solid games on but didn't rate him,so you think it will be a bad experience.

• Administrators

So say I try playing on your severs and am in the uk my ping would go to 99? Dose that mean I would get lag comp? Or would it be really buggy?

Hi evo,

Playing with higher ping ( which usually means larger distance ) will put you at a massive disadvantage. Not recommended. 

Archived