how do I stop my roommate from illegally downloading torrents?

I have the netduma, and I've gotten 2 phone calls from my ISP about torrents being downloaded.  I've talked to him numerous times with no luck.  So is there a way for me to block him from downloading torrents?  And when he does it fills up the internet.

• Netduma Staff

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum

There isn't a way to do this on the Duma. All I can think of is getting a VPN and putting his devices through that. Or just block his devices from the internet until he agrees not to do it anymore :)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks crossy, well is there a way I can set it so when he torrents it doesn't use up all the Internet, not sure the technical term

You can use congestion control to stop it getting congested :) One way I thought of which isn't very practical to stop him downloading torrents is to add the torrent ports to the GeeoFilter as a device and make the GeoFilter small so he can't access any servers which use those ports :)

At our business people bring in pc's / laptops that need servicing etc, we have it set up so bit torrent will not start to upload and download as customers have utorrent etc as start ups and we dont need that traffic on our network.

I will look into how this is done and get back to you.

Archived