Much slower internet speed with Net DUma?

ISP HUB -> PC = 220/20 (wired)  good

ISP HUB -> Netduma -> PC = 110/10 (wired)  good

ISP HUB -> Netduma -> PS4 = 35/6 (wired) not good

ISP HUB -> Netduma -> PC = 20/5 (wireless) not good

- Speed tests are consistent every time i run them

- I am running version 1.03.4 on the netduma

- IPv6 disabled under LAN / WAN / Settings-MISC.

- 'Enable deep packet processing' = UNCHECKED

- 'Reactive' algorithm selected  

- I have set my bandwidth under Device Manager

- I have tried Reset/Updated device prioritization and left it default

- Download/Upload sliders under congestion control are both at 100%

- Unplugged ISP HUB + Netduma, nothing changed

- ISP is time Warner cable 200 download 20 upload plan

I understand with netduma I cant utilize the full 200mb download but I dont understand why my wired PS4 has such a low speed test (it gets main priority in devices) also why the wireless pc connection is much much slower? it is not far from the router and happens on multiple wireless devices never goes over 25mb download usually only gets 15mb to 20mb download wireless?

Anyone have some tips/solutions?

• Netduma Staff

HI Iancerami1, welcome to the forum :)

I would't worry if your PS4 says you aren't getting eh bandwidth that you expect. First of all the speeds test on PS4 is inaccurate and also you won't need that much bandwidth on the PS4 even if it is correct (which it probs isn't ) :)

To try and get the full Wifi speeds, you could try going to Settings >> Miscellaneous and unchecking 'Wifi workaround'.

The problem is when I am downloading updates or games not being able to utilize the full 100mb and only less then half is a problem.

I know the ps4 speed test isnt accurate but its reporting less then half my pc does.

Then i also used the ps4 browser and found a speed test online that doesnt require flass and it says around the same for download 30s for MB

I called ps4 support and asked them why this is and they said i need to call my isp and tell them to open ports

TCP 80, 443, 3478, 3479, and 3480

also 

UDP 3478 and 3479

But does the ISP have access to do this?

Isnt this something i open in NEtDuma ?

Also the wireless download connection is still very slow even after unchecking work around

its slow on all wireless devices regardless of distance

i tried changing chanel 5 to 7 but no difference

i dont think we can use 5ghz so i didnt try that

any other suggestions to utilize my max my wifi speed?

• Netduma Staff

You don't need to port forward on the Netduma - UPnP will do everything. You will never be able to download at 100mbps. The PSN servers will cap the speed that you can download from that at so you will never be able to achieve that speed. A game will almost never need more than 100kbps.

ok I understand the PS network maybe bottle necking my speed i guess i can deal with that.

Any tips on my wifi issues?

I havent been able to achieve more then a 35MB download on any of my wireless devices. usually they average around 15-20mb download. despite distance or which device i use.

I dont have a large place the most the signal has to travel is to the other room not far away at all. I dont have any other wireless devices or wireless home phone that could be interfering with signal.

any tips i would appreciate 

thanks

• 2 months later...

I have the R1 since today, playing with the settings. I have a german Kabel Deutschland 100Mbit Cable Internet. Highest Speed was 65Mbit or lower. With unticked Enable deep packet processing max Speed was 15Mbit, why? Before I changed the Routers I had full speed with my ASUS R68 but a bad Bufferbloat.

IP6 is disabled, newest FW installed, Turbo Modus is ticked

You don't need to port forward on the Netduma - UPnP will do everything. You will never be able to download at 100mbps. The PSN servers will cap the speed that you can download from that at so you will never be able to achieve that speed. A game will almost never need more than 100kbps.

@Crossy What speeds do you think the PSN cap downloads? I have an 80Mbit connection and regularly see download speeds from PSN between 7-8Mb /second. 

• Netduma Staff

@Crossy What speeds do you think the PSN cap downloads? I have an 80Mbit connection and regularly see download speeds from PSN between 7-8Mb /second. 

Do you mean on the speed test or when downloading updates/games? Speed test I can get about 30Mbps (but I think it depends on location, how busy PSN is etc). When downloading games/updates, I don't think I ever usually get higher than 7-8Mbps :)

Archived