Setup question with AT&T 2Wire+NetDuma+Apple Airport Extreme

I've been experiencing ridiculously bad gameplay on most of the COD games on both XBO & PS4 and Google searches for possible solutions brought me here :)

Despite lurking and reading through various posts over the past few days I still couldn't come up with a clear answer about whether I could actually use and benefit from the NetDuma R1 in my setup.

My setup consists of the AT&T U-Verse 2Wire RG + Apple Airport Extreme with the 2Wire doing the routing/DHCP etc and the Airport running in bridge mode providing high speed Wifi on different floors than where the 2Wire sits.  I normally get 30Mb ingress + 5 Mb egress without issues quite consistently.  However, this has not translated into decent COD gameplay and it always feels like I'm getting melted.  

Since AT&T 2Wire doesn't support operating in bridge mode, I have no option but to leave it as the primary router & have everything else behind it.  I have two options for adding the NetDuma R1 into this setup.  

1) Hook up the R1 to the Airport Extreme and then have the consoles connect up to the R1. [internet<-2Wire<-Airport<-R1<-Consoles]   or

2) Hook up the R1 to the 2Wire and then have the Airport Extreme + Consoles connect up to the R1 [internet<-2Wire<-R1<-Airport & Consoles]

I feel that the setup (2) may be ideal and allow me to leverage all of the great NetDuma features such as Prioritization, Anti-Flood etc.  but from the posts I've seen on here it sounds like this may not necessarily help with canceling out lag compensation in the games.  Is this true?

Setup (1) is simple and similar to how I've seen various people on Youtube state they've configured their networks. However, this means I don't benefit from features such as Anti-flood and others as none of the other devices would be connecting up through the NetDuma anyway so all I really get is the GeoFiltering.  Wouldn't this still cause problems if other devices start to hog bandwidth via the Airport Extreme or 2Wire and thus still induce lag into the game? If so, am I really going to see a benefit of even having the R1 beyond the GeoFilter? 

Are my assumptions & findings correct?  or have I overlooked something fundamental? The "ideal" setup someone on Youtube described used a TP-Link Archer C7 to throttle BW to the R1 and then connect up the consoles to the R1 in a topology similar to setup (1) I described above.  Ultimately I may consider this if needed but not too keen to have to buy two new routers (R1 + TP-Link) to accomplish this since the Apple router doesn't have any QOS or bandwidth limiting capabilities :(

With your bandtwith i would definitely put 3 one just after you primary router and puts its WAN in DMZ. That way you will assure that you have an opent nata etc.

Now i think option 2 its the maxsimum option when you will benefit most. The more of the trafic will go directy through R1 the more control you have.

Now about those other people setups. I think you cant compare your self to them. Every home network is different. What works for them may not work for you.

Lats thing abou wifi. As you probobly know R1 have the 2.4 ghz wifi. Now with you bandwhit thats not an issue as 2.4 will easliy handel 30 mb.

So it may bee even posibble to get rid of this router with high quality wifi. But thats pure speculation you will have to test for you self whether this is fine for you or not.

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum! I would definitely go with option 2 as this would provide you the ability to use all our features. I don't pay much attention to lag compensation theories if I'm honest and 'ideal' setups like the one you described are ideal for that one person, not the majority. 

The ideal setup I would recommend every time would be similar to 2, have the R1 behind the hub with the hub in modem or bridge mode or the R1 in the hubs DMZ with all devices connected to the R1 :)

Thanks for the replies!

@Fraser - I looked for a user-manual for the R1 but couldn't find one to confirm whether there is currently support for provisioning bandwidth limitations for specific hosts.  Could you comment on whether this feature already exists? And if not, then whether there are any plans to include it?

Not sure how many of the NetDuma users are on AT&T's U-Verse service in the US but I'd love to hear of their experience with the R1! :)

• Administrators

Thanks for the replies!

@Fraser - I looked for a user-manual for the R1 but couldn't find one to confirm whether there is currently support for provisioning bandwidth limitations for specific hosts.  Could you comment on whether this feature already exists? And if not, then whether there are any plans to include it?

Not sure how many of the NetDuma users are on AT&T's U-Verse service in the US but I'd love to hear of their experience with the R1! :)

Currently theres no ability to specifically limit bandwidth, I do believe its on our ticket system for the future. Currently you can throttle the connection as a whole (our version of QoS which works very well with eliminating any local congestion) as well as prioritising devices for upload and in the next update being tested now download as well.

I'll come back and post some follow up on my findings once I acquire the router and have had a chance to test out the different configs for myself.  Thanks again for the feedback, it is truly appreciated.

Archived