Why Call of Duty Outsells every single FPS year after year?

Sgt-Greco

because its a bro-shooter with zero to no skillgap that caters pretty well towards casual gamers

luckily games like CSGO, DOTA2 and LoL are reversing this trend, complex skillgap games can be fun for casuals too

now all it needs is to have this trend it spill over to consoles and the CoD series will do a second AoE/Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk

Because it caters to kids with that arcade shooter game feel,QS,blackscopes,etc...and the kiddies are their chosen demographic.So in that aspect COD hits it's mark but at the same time that's why the older gamers are complaining about the last 2 or more releases.

I can tell you why I play it

1. Its fun, i can pick it up and play a few matches and don't need to be online 24/7 to compete

2. It is where i met all my online friends, been playing with them for years now

3. I can play it Solo unlike games like battlefield CS GO etc 

4. I personally prefer the arcade mechanics of the game

Because it caters to kids with that arcade shooter game feel,QS,blackscopes,etc...and the kiddies are their chosen demographic.So in that aspect COD hits it's mark but at the same time that's why the older gamers are complaining about the last 2 or more releases.

That's not a bad thing.

In fact, that is the whole purpose of video games and who they are primarily intended for.

I'm an older gamer, but I think we tend to forget what it was like being 10, 11, etc., and just having fun in / with video games, or being inspired by video games because we didn't have a whole lot of life experience, yet? There is nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of older gamers (20s, 30s+) want gaming to be "their" thing, but the reality is it's EVERYBODY'S thing these days whether it's mobile, handheld, web-based, console or PC.

I'm going to say something I feel some older gamers don't want to admit, but I feel the majority of hate for AW is because it *is* too fast for those over 20, so it automatically is labled "bad". I'm not talking about the technical shortcomings like in-engine latency, bad net code, blah, blah, blah. I'm talking about the game play itself. The game is designed for young people in their prime who have the visual acuity and reflexes to match. We used to have those, some of us don't anymore and therefore, we aren't going to like fast paced shooters like AW compared to something more tactical like Ghosts, or even BO3.

As an older gamer, I liked the BO3 beta because it WAS slower even with the wall running and slight boost jumping. The majority of matches played out on the ground and there was a proper risk / reward for using the wall running to gain an advantage... Versus AW where everybody jumps 50' into the air constantly and not only does it look silly, but they're much harder to hit, for obvious reasons.

The only area I feel CoD is really lacking IMO is the developers need to put in other activities that don't revolve solely around killing. That might mean making the classes more distinct or role specific like BF, but still with the ability to play on your own if not with a group, party, etc. The maps need to be more innovative than three-lanes, they need interactive puzzles that give those who know how to work and time them right a clear advantage because this helps increase the low skill gap that was commented on earlier.  

If they ever switch to a new engine, they could add vehicles (back) in like they did with WaW. It doesn't mean it should become a BF clone if the vehicles are distinct and serve a specific purpose on the battlefield / map that could not be achieved without it. These are just some of the ways developers can raise the skill gap because when a game revolves around killing, there should also be a multitude of activities players can do to help promote that end goal, but don't just make it arbitrarily easier by default... Like granting everybody Special Abilities after a set period of time in BO3. Those should be based on kills, or scorestreaks to encourage people to play objectives, play as a team, learn proper map awareness and gun skill, etc. 

Because it is very addictive, I dont know why but I can always play more COD. maybe I am just a drug.. wait ur.. video game addict but hey we all are right? This is video games anonymous?

There is a real science behind video games because they are designed to trigger Dopamine and Adrenaline rushes to keep players coming back for more.

The biggest (and most obvious) design element is Reward Incentive Schedules e.g. Get this many kills and you unlock this new attachment, emblem, rank, etc. This is why we all play CoD, and similar games even if we don't consciously know it. It's the sense of accomplishment we get from "grinding" to get that next attachment, or get to that next Prestige because it has a tangible reward and in-game benefit (well, attachments, perks and emblems do ;))

Good game design makes sure there is just enough time between rewards to keep you playing "just one more round", or "just one more mission", etc. That's the addictive quality all gamers should be aware of and why WoW was ruining people's lives who have no self-control, or awareness of their weakness to reward schedules a.k.a. gamblers, people with OCD tendancy, etc.

Archived