Tips for not being host?

BENORMOUS

Put in AW for a few games tonight and I've been host every time but it's an awful experience,hosting groundwar all night and I cant stop it doin it,geo showed no large circle and my game started about 3 seconds before the 15 second countdown so I was 100% host,managed to get into a game half way through and ripped s*** up but only the once hoping someone knows a way

Might be a question for Crossy, and I am sure he is typing it up now. :)

But I think if you move your home location away from your physical addy, set a new Geo Location with 'STRICT' enabled, you could be getting hosts inside that new Geo-Filter unless you have a server rated well previously or you connect to a dedi.

Is everyone a large circle?  If so, that's when you know you're host.

If you're zoomed you won't see it but the host for some reason will be in the Antarctic lol.

The 15 second timer is a good indication of p2p game so you're 3 second timer seems more like a server type deal to me =/

Is everyone a large circle? If so, that's when you know you're host.

If you're zoomed you won't see it but the host for some reason will be in the Antarctic lol.

The 15 second timer is a good indication of p2p game so you're 3 second timer seems more like a server type deal to me =/

No what I'm saying is I get in the game around 3 seconds before the 15 second count down starts,im without a doubt host because I left as a test and my mate said there was host migration,he said the conection is amazing when I'm host hahaha he only lives round the corner he's gonna say that but for me it's terrible.

My guess is it plays bad for you being the host because you don't have enough upload bandwidth to support 18 players?

So, your console is literally struggling to receive, process and send all that data at once even if it happens at the speed of light (and slightly slower due to packet loss, etc). The only reason it's picking you as host (most likely) is because everybody else's connections are WORSE, and / or there is no dedicated server close enough to put them on.

What I would do is party up with your friend and then go into MM using the Netduma. I bet you will NOT get host, for obvious reasons. Try it, and see what happens...

• Administrators

Well definitely give your console very high priority to see if you can better support being host. If not, I've never heard of someone not wanting to be host haha, so really I'm not sure how to prevent yourself being host. You are probably the best candidate for host which is why you're getting it. I would speculate lowering anti-flood would prevent this. 

I'm gonna have to throttle a bit and see if I can avoid it,my line is great at the moment and im getting the full speed my line can take,even when I run.wireless speedtest I get around 69/71 wireless and the full 20 upload so I know it's decent.and base ping is 12,host on AW is just a shocker

• Administrators

I'm gonna have to throttle a bit and see if I can avoid it,my line is great at the moment and im getting the full speed my line can take,even when I run.wireless speedtest I get around 69/71 wireless and the full 20 upload so I know it's decent.and base ping is 12,host on AW is just a shocker

Thats awesome, very jealous of that indeed!

A couple of other factors to consider:

1) We are at the very end of AW's life cycle. So, there are probably LESS people playing than ever before. So, this means less P2P. Less P2P means less choices for hosting if there is not a dedicated server in your population region.

2) You may have the upload to support Ground War, but have you Peer Pinged the players to see what THEIR connection is like? I'm betting it's the typical Activision MM where you have players from all around the world connecting TO you. Remember, the R1 can prevent you from connecting to players / servers too far away from you, but it can't stop them from connecting to you, or a dedicated server. So, my guess is this is why it plays so bad even though you are host?

A couple of other factors to consider:

1) We are at the very end of AW's life cycle. So, there are probably LESS people playing than ever before. So, this means less P2P. Less P2P means less choices for hosting if there is not a dedicated server in your population region.

2) You may have the upload to support Ground War, but have you Peer Pinged the players to see what THEIR connection is like? I'm betting it's the typical Activision MM where you have players from all around the world connecting TO you. Remember, the R1 can prevent you from connecting to players / servers too far away from you, but it can't stop them from connecting to you, or a dedicated server. So, my guess is this is why it plays so bad even though you are host?

Could be spot on there mate I'll check peer ping next time for sure,won't be playing AW any time soon as I'm blasting gears at the moment,ill.try at the wknd and post the peer ping results

Archived