placebo effect

i would like some way of knowing for sure the netduma is doing its job or not, is there a simple way to tell?

occasionally i wonder if im just having this placebo effect when playing. im not really that much of a techey type and sometimes i dont even think i have anything setup right on my netduma or not, i can win  lots of times without the netduma as i can with it. even with a lot of lag, im a perfectionist and already pretty good at a lot of shooter games. 

perhaps i am asking too much but the netduma is just too complicated for me to understand all the right settings and ports, unpn, throttling,sharing and everything else is set just right for it. the learning curve is really high for some of us. 

if and only if the netduma could have a simpler interface ,all on one page,with not too many different settings and i say this because it seems like the more updates you do the more things you have to remember to set on this box. i would take an example from dd-wrt, tomato interfaces,yes they have lots of settings but think about it do you have to go back and forth lots of times to fix it?  i seem to be more familiar with those because you dont have to set them all the time if ever, you just set it and forget it.

thank you for your time.

Hello there buddy.

Lest run trough all of you settings to see if we can improve ?

1. Describe you physical set-up ( like what is connected to what wireless or wired etc.) ?

2.Here please post all the info form this link 

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=lag_support_instructions

3. Here please post all of your Miscellaneous  settings as well as the cloud settings.

We can go through them and see if there a room for improvment

• Administrators

Hey rowlodge, did you follow the tour which auto starts when you went onto the duma for the first time? That should have gone through the basics with you, including using the congestion control. Ports and UPnP there should be no need for you to change as UPnP is enabled by default and opens the necessary ports. 

For the most part following this optimal guide http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netdumashould mean that you shouldn't need to change much after that, have you seen this guide before? 

Once you've spent a bit a time with the duma, its actually quite simple, I appreciate this can take some time but compared to most router interfaces I would say its one of the more simple interfaces out there. 

Maybe we could have a tick box for a simple interface on one page, thats something worth thinking about for sure.

In terms of if you know its working for you, if you've had any buffering/lag caused by other devices in your home, this should have stopped. You should be getting more smooth and low ping games than before also. You would definitely find yourself getting further away hosts without the duma.

Hey rowlodge, did you follow the tour which auto starts when you went onto the duma for the first time? That should have gone through the basics with you, including using the congestion control. Ports and UPnP there should be no need for you to change as UPnP is enabled by default and opens the necessary ports. 

For the most part following this optimal guide http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netdumashould mean that you shouldn't need to change much after that, have you seen this guide before? 

Once you've spent a bit a time with the duma, its actually quite simple, I appreciate this can take some time but compared to most router interfaces I would say its one of the more simple interfaces out there. 

Maybe we could have a tick box for a simple interface on one page, thats something worth thinking about for sure.

In terms of if you know its working for you, if you've had any buffering/lag caused by other devices in your home, this should have stopped. You should be getting more smooth and low ping games than before also. You would definitely find yourself getting further away hosts without the duma.

yah ive got it on pretty much what the settings suggested it seems to work well sometimes and at other times just as bad as not having it at all. ,yes it shows the players within the radar but it boots me so i have to take strict off so i can keep from being booted over and over, i dont know what use it is having the radar on.

• Administrators

yah ive got it on pretty much what the settings suggested it seems to work well sometimes and at other times just as bad as not having it at all. ,yes it shows the players within the radar but it boots me so i have to take strict off so i can keep from being booted over and over, i dont know what use it is having the radar on.

Is this gaming or congestion control? There are so many variables on the internet and people with bad connections, you won't get good connections 100% of the time unfortunately. Strict off was made to prevent the booting issue, it enables hosts close to your radius to be allowed, unfortunately the game forces you on dedis the majority of the time. You can try these suggestions as well: 

1. Set your home location, then put the distance really small, press the 'Snap' button a few times to auto expand the Geo-filter to an optimum size for getting games.
  2. Increase the Geo-filter.
  3. Disable strict mode, this will allow more games to be connected to, please note they may appear outside of your filter.
  4. Move your home until you get a different host or padlock appear (you may have to restart the game but may not) and bare in mind our anti-cheat if you connect to games and continue to try and find other hosts.
  5. Go to settings > miscellaneous and tick auto/bleeding edge and click apply.

Is this gaming or congestion control? There are so many variables on the internet and people with bad connections, you won't get good connections 100% of the time unfortunately. Strict off was made to prevent the booting issue, it enables hosts close to your radius to be allowed, unfortunately the game forces you on dedis the majority of the time. You can try these suggestions as well: 

1. Set your home location, then put the distance really small, press the 'Snap' button a few times to auto expand the Geo-filter to an optimum size for getting games.
  2. Increase the Geo-filter.
  3. Disable strict mode, this will allow more games to be connected to, please note they may appear outside of your filter.
  4. Move your home until you get a different host or padlock appear (you may have to restart the game but may not) and bare in mind our anti-cheat if you connect to games and continue to try and find other hosts.
  5. Go to settings > miscellaneous and tick auto/bleeding edge and click apply.

yes i do have to leave the game for a few minutes to keep from from getting back into the same room again,(frustrating), i guess i am understanding this program more and more as i go along, your instructions are good. i understand what your saying now. i did an internet evaluation and most of the results were good and excellent. i put the shareing on 70% but i have it on 100% and seems to work better that way, ive got my home more in the eastern U.S. theres more players to connect to. its beginning to all sink in now.

• Administrators

yes i do have to leave the game for a few minutes to keep from from getting back into the same room again,(frustrating), i guess i am understanding this program more and more as i go along, your instructions are good. i understand what your saying now. i did an internet evaluation and most of the results were good and excellent. i put the shareing on 70% but i have it on 100% and seems to work better that way, ive got my home more in the eastern U.S. theres more players to connect to. its beginning to all sink in now.

Thats our anti-cheat so its a necessary part I'm afraid. It's all about finding what works best for you so play around with what I've advised :)

Archived