Curious about test.

Techwood2177

Hi guys,

I use this:    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping    test to monitor my connection (among other ways) rather than the typical speedtest sites.

I usually find if I poke my ISP with data from here they are pretty prompt about sending someone out to deal with any issues I'm having.

I'm just a little curious what you guys think of this test and can you tell me if it seems to you to be a good way of monitoring connection?

I ask this because website tests get a fair amount of flak for being inaccurate and or misleading and it'd be good to know how this one measures up.

Thanks,

T.W.

Yebs i had use that to monitor my jittery some days ago when i was fixing my isp problems. Thats is  good one remmeber also to use the R1 Internet diagnostic as well .

I'm also curious about the system Virgin have just put in place to expand their wifi services by asking if they can use our hubs to boost signals. I say "ask" but what I mean is they are doing it anyway and simply informed us with an option to opt out.

They claim to be able to set up separate connections through our hubs that won't affect our current connections wireless or cabled. 

As you can imagine there are a few of us a little concerned about this and have opted out vocally within their forums as well as via our accounts. But in their terms of service it says nothing about opting out meaning they'll not use our hubs. It only says we will not have access to the service while out and about in an area that supports it.

Got any thoughts on this at all?

Well i am Virgin media customer. I am on 100 mb plan so i put mine in mode mode as there is no problems for me using R1 as my primary router.

Though with your Plan you would get slightly less speeds. I think its about 120 mb that R1 can currently squize. As well as loosing 5 Ghz Wireless network. R1 supports only 2.4.

Now the speed thing will be address in the new update to Netduma software( No date know for now when it will be released ) though the 2.4 wireless its a hardware limitation.

Archived