I just ordered

Ian88

So I bit the bullet and bought the netduma, im pretty excited to try it out.. However much to my horror I've just read that you need a laptop to make use of the features (to watch whilst your gaming) I'm pretty gutted as I have no laptop.. Could someone suggest the very cheapest laptop that would be adequate to tinker with the duma?

• Netduma Staff

No problem :) Most phone should just about do that job. It will be more fiddly than with a computer but still definitely doable. Only problem is not all phones let you upgrade without a PC. Maybe for the upgrades you could take the duma to a friends house or something like that? Remember you can use console browser too.

That's great news! What about running my speed test for the bandwidth section? Would I not need a laptop to accurately test my speeds and ping? As I've heard consoles can be way off, and I have the Sony Xperia z3

• Netduma Staff

That's great news! What about running my speed test for the bandwidth section? Would I not need a laptop to accurately test my speeds and ping? As I've heard consoles can be way off, and I have the Sony Xperia z3

Yeah. You're right, it would be better to be able to do a wired to test to a PC. As long as you underestimate the bandwidth it will still be ok :)

• Administrators

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forums. Don't worry you can use the phone but its a little more difficult to use, its probably easier to setup using the console browser. In terms of speed just ask your Internet Provider(e.g. Virgin/BT/Comcast/etc) what speed you are paying for and just use that.  

As Crossy mentioned the only difficult part will be upgrading but you can probably just about do it if you look up downloading files on the phone. Or just borrow a mates laptop for one day. 

Cheers Iain.. I already know I'm on the 100mb package with virgin media, but as you probably know, what you pay for and what you get can be a little different lol.. I ended up just buying a laptop.. So I can keep an eye on my speeds and ping more accurately.. It should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes mate

Your right Ian distance from the cab/exchange etc all come in to play I feel it is best to speed test no disrespect Iain :)

Speed of me is usable on phones , it can be quite conservative though

Archived