Can I change dns servers?

On my old router I would use namebench to find which are the fastest servers. I would like to change the primary dns and secondary dns on the R1 cause I think it would be better cause that is what I had before. Google servers suck for me. Just curious on how to do that on here. Do I go into wan ip and do it? Anyone that could help that would superb!!

On my old router I would use namebench to find which are the fastest servers. I would like to change the primary dns and secondary dns on the R1 cause I think it would be better cause that is what I had before. Google servers suck for me. Just curious on how to do that on here. Do I go into wan ip and do it? Anyone that could help that would superb!!

currently this isn't possible...you'd have to do it manually on each device

currently this isn't possible...you'd have to do it manually on each device

You had to do it manually before. But it would be nice to use servers that give me a better connection and no ping. Before netduma the servers I was using at least from speedtest and ping test 12ms with no jitter. Now 13 ms with 9 ms jitter. Not that big of a difference but everything helps

Guest Netduma_Iain

To be honest mate they're not really related. Speedtest will change on a daily basis its called diurnal Internet conditions.  Changing DNS can make things like websites load slightly faster. It really won't make a difference to gaming at all I'm afraid. 

Also just to put milliseconds into perspective. It takes 17ms for the game to render a single frame let alone the TV. So when you start dealing with that level the TV and other equipment(being human :P) will let you down way before the network :) 

DNS servers are what resolve domain names....

IE you type google.com in your browser

your router sends a request to your DNS server and get the IP of that name...then you in the background call that ip with a host header.

so as Iain said a DNS change will make the initial load of webpages faster

Archived