Do i need to be leader of the lobby for the netduma geofilter to take affect?

zqa20

Basically if I'm not the leader of the lobby will my netduma still block hosts outside of my geo-filter, when searching in multiplayer? 

Sorry i posted in wrong section of the forum!! 

You can still block host even if you are not party host... Also its best if you can be party host to get the full effect of the duma.. But if you are not party host I would suggest turning off geo filter as search times, become difficult and harder for the party host and can cause lobby booting, this is just from experience I have had....

Cheers

Basically if I'm not the leader of the lobby will my netduma still block hosts outside of my geo-filter, when searching in multiplayer?

Basically 3 ways only

1) Playing alone, if you have a not so good connection so you can't be host, the only thing the matchmaking server can do is get you a host inside of your Geo-Filter.

BUT, if a party of players join, chances are, 1 of them might be host and they will fall out of your Geo-filter region. All it will do is just kick you out of the game once it starts as you are not able to communicate with that host.

2) Playing in a party. I joined my friend's party and I am not the party leader. What will happen is it might take some time to find a lobby as it will detect your Geo-filter's needs. But once you get into a lobby, chances are, the host will always be inside your filter region.

1.5 & 2.5) In both the scenarios, the game still allows clients out of your Geo-filter region as long as you are not the host.

BUT, if there's a host migration, quickly DISABLE your Geo-filter as the matchmaking server might pick a Host from the list of clients that fall out of your search radius thus booting you out.

3) If your connection is fantastic. This is what is going to happen. If you are the host, be it in a party or alone, you will have full control of who joins.

BUT... I ever encountered resuming a game with ALL the enemy players getting kicked out after a host migration when in my party because I was the new host and the router refuses to communicate with those clients out of my region.

So I would say it's a give and take. You will get what you desired and that is a GREAT connection to the host in all 3 scenarios since they are near to you.

Anyway, most games are moving to a Dedicated Server so that is appreciated. Just that... For COD, they actually rented the CHEAPEST servers they can find to save cost that the performance might be below par thus making other players without a Netduma to assume they were playing on P2P when in fact, it was just a terrible Dedicated Server that they were on.

So depending on where you are, experiment on the various Dedicated Servers around you and try to connect to restrict the Geo-filter to that server that you find provides an overall, better experience. It will help you get what you've always wanted.

As for how I know that Activision is so cheap? Rocket League is a game that depends on Dedicated Servers but their locations are so limited. So my ping to them is high and laggy. Yet, my gaming experience is so smooth and on point whereas playing on COD with a Dedi near me gave me an UNFAIR experience already and I was not able to access the other servers as they were out of COD's matchmaking region. So I am stuck with playing on P2P for an overall better gaming experience.

So from what I'm reading, i can still block hosts when I'm not lobby leader but there's a chance i may get booted out the lobby under rare occasions if a host migration happens. 

Only reason I'm asking is because I play with a streamer and he has session joiners/trolls harassing him sometimes and at night we can't talk because he might wake his kids up. So i won't know if i need to back out or not. 

Thanks for the great help by the way :)

• Netduma Staff

So from what I'm reading, i can still block hosts when I'm not lobby leader but there's a chance i may get booted out the lobby under rare occasions if a host migration happens. 

Only reason I'm asking is because I play with a streamer and he has session joiners/trolls harassing him sometimes and at night we can't talk because he might wake his kids up. So i won't know if i need to back out or not. 

Thanks for the great help by the way :)

If you are not the leader of the party, then it is b better to disable the GeoFilter as the leader won't be able to search for games properly. So no, if you're not the leader, you won't be able to filter people who live far away from you very well at all :)

Archived