2 quick questions, (set bandw & antiflood)

XmasTeaTowel

1st. Should i set my bandwidth numbers as per my Modem adsl line info or browser speed test?  (speedtest/testmynet), as they differ slightly (but consistently) ...   Modem 5.9 Down 1.0 Up  ,  speedtest 5.0 Down 0.75 Up   (isolated test, no other device impacting speedtest)

Not a big difference but at these line speeds, any adjustment in antiflood and priority has a big impact.

2nd. Anti flood bandwith cap... I am very familiar with my Duma and works tremendously, just curious.

Does the cap just stop the line from being saturated, leaving the capped amount unusable, or does the gaming device have access to all of the line beyond that capped amount?

Cheers

1st. Should i set my bandwidth numbers as per my Modem adsl line info or browser speed test? (speedtest/testmynet), as they differ slightly (but consistently) ... Modem 5.9 Up 1.0 Down , speedtest 5.0 Up 0.75 Down (isolated test, no other device impacting speedtest)

Not a big difference but at these line speeds, any adjustment in antiflood and priority has a big impact.

2nd. Anti flood bandwith cap... I am very familiar with my Duma and works tremendously, just curious.

Does the cap just stop the line from being saturated, leaving the capped amount unusable, or does the gaming device have access to all of the line beyond that capped amount?

Cheers

When you do a speed test it will give you an average to base your speed from. For example, if your ISP gives you 50Down & 10Up you can use speedtest to make sure you are getting the speeds you pay for. If I go to speedtest.net and have it auto ping the closest server to me "10 Miles ish" it will give me my speeds. But if I choose a server that is 100ish miles away I get better download speed and ping because the server is a better server to test my speeds. Honestly if you pay for 50d and 10up then set it to that. Speeds will always very depending on the server.

Now for your second question about the cap, I believe if I am reading your question correctly yes it will use what is beyond the cap if you have "SHARE EXCESS" ticked. If you un-tick share excess then whatever you set the cap at it will cap it at that. The rest of the pipe is still usable, it just limits the about of data for that device only. I hope that answered your question.

Share excess is just for the Device Prioritisation. Which is upload only.

But with Anti Flood settings, regarding Download Cap slider, is the gaming device able to use the capped percentage?

If i set it to 70% and then test, line speed caps to 3.0 down. So capping line by 2.0 

But if i deliberately try to flood my line with torrents, direct downloads, and numerous hd youtube vids, ping tends to drop as i hit the "new" cap.

Does/Should the gaming device traffic be able to use that 2.0 down capped portion of the line? 

Since your in aus, the easiest way to set your bandwidth is. By logging into modem and check modems speeds... so say you download is 9817 so dived it by 9545 = 1.02849659508 then times it by 8, which will give you you dowload speed of 8.22797276061

also do it exactly the same for upload speed...

Since your in aus, the easiest way to set your bandwidth is. By logging into modem and check modems speeds... so say you download is 9817 so dived it by 9545 = 1.02849659508 then times it by 8, which will give you you dowload speed of 8.22797276061

also do it exactly the same for upload speed...

But those speeds are subject to change depending on the time of day. In my area I notice a huge speed increase at night and pings are much faster then during the day. You should still set it to what you pay for in my opinion.

Share excess is just for the Device Prioritisation. Which is upload only.

But with Anti Flood settings, regarding Download Cap slider, is the gaming device able to use the capped percentage?

If i set it to 70% and then test, line speed caps to 3.0 down. So capping line by 2.0 

But if i deliberately try to flood my line with torrents, direct downloads, and numerous hd youtube vids, ping tends to drop as i hit the "new" cap.

Does/Should the gaming device traffic be able to use that 2.0 down capped portion of the line?

yebs in theory that is the porouse of this feature to cap some bandwidth just for you gaming and at this same time give the rest to others.

So the asnwer to that question is yes this fature is reserving bandtwith for you gaming.

Here some useful links explaining it.

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_getting_started

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=cc_settings

And answer for the second question is a belive. You schould go with the actually speed you are getting. So in that case i would go with the speed test numbers.

I did that and i know a lot of user had done that as well.

The anti flood cap leaves that part of the connection completely unused. Nothing, including consoles gaming etc uses it.

Its left as headroom so things don't bottleneck.

Sorry about misleading on my previous post here.

Buds is completely Wright. This 30 % its completely unused  to prevent any congestion by simply absorbing any burst of internet traffic to prevent any spikes etc.

Once again sorry for misleading at first.

Archived