anyone know how to configure r1/Asus router to allow devices to be seen on both networks?

Well here is the issue im trying to resolve. have the Modem > R1> then i have my PC off the r1 and my other router that everything else in the house is connected to is connected to r1 as well. but i cant view anything from my PC that is connected to the ASUS router and vice versa anything off of the ASUS router cant see my PC.  So is there a way to setup this env to allow devices on the ASUS router to see my PC and for my PC to see those devices ?  Some bridge settings ? not sure havent done before so if anyone who has or might have the expertise i would appreciate it

let me know

thx

Vince

Guest Netduma Fraser

Well here is the issue im trying to resolve. have the Modem > R1> then i have my PC off the r1 and my other router that everything else in the house is connected to is connected to r1 as well. but i cant view anything from my PC that is connected to the ASUS router and vice versa anything off of the ASUS router cant see my PC.  So is there a way to setup this env to allow devices on the ASUS router to see my PC and for my PC to see those devices ?  Some bridge settings ? not sure havent done before so if anyone who has or might have the expertise i would appreciate it

let me know

thx

Vince

This doesnt work, if you want to see the devices they will have to go through the R1. I.e. devices you want to control need to be connected to the R1, it cannot be used to see devices not connected to it. 

This doesnt work, if you want to see the devices they will have to go through the R1. I.e. devices you want to control need to be connected to the R1, it cannot be used to see devices not connected to it. 

But the ASUS Router would be connected to the Netduma right?   So nothing directly connected to the Netduma would be seen?

Guest Netduma Fraser

But the ASUS Router would be connected to the Netduma right?   So nothing directly connected to the Netduma would be seen?

It would go modem > Asus > R1 > devices you want the R1 to control, everything else connected to the asus. I would recommend you dont use the asus so the netduma can control everything and you can make the most of its features. Otherwise do the setup I just said but you wont see all the devices, hope that helps!

let me know

thx

Vince

I've done it before, it's a pain to setup though. I have the Asus RT-N56U but generally most Asus routers have the same interface...

If you really want to get it working I'll try my best to help.

Also, I haven't tested it but I'm pretty sure if you go to the administration page on the asus and set it to "Access Point(AP) mode" then plug the patch cable that came with your R1 from the R1 to the LAN (NOT WAN) port of the asus it should work.

I have mine set up that way. The modem>R1>Asus(AP). I am able to see all devices and everything works flawlessly. Also I am able the use the wifi range of the Asus for all my devices in the house that are far away and on different floors. And definitely connect the Asus router to the R1 lan to lan.

The R1 can't be made an Access Point meaning if it is 

Modem <-> Asus <-> R1 

you will have 2 networks the asus network and the R1 network and without routing tables you won't have the ability to communicate between them

with:

Modem <-> R1 <-> Asus (as an access point)

you will have 1 network

ok anyone point me to doc showing how to convert my new Asus router to access point, that will allow my main PC and all the other devices in the house to see each other while still giving me the abilities of the R1, else i have an unused r1 for sale :)

thx

Vinman, I had to do the same, I just used the power of Google and googled it.

You would need your full name of your router.

So for example:  Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AP Mode 

First link that popped up gave me exact info:  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23814/~/how-to-manually-configure-the-nighthawk-r7000-router-as-access-point-%28ap-mode%29%3F

So try google and see if you can get a hit.

i have my Asus connected to my virgin hub

so i connected the R1 to the virgin hub

connected the asus to the r1

then logged into 192.168.88.1 for the R1 (wireless)

on the device section of the R1 it tell you the ip of connected devices and u can see the asus ip

then connect to that ip and change it to ap mode in the settings, might be admin at the bottom, just have a flick in the options

if you cant get on the asus, i would hard wire a ethernet cable and connect to default ip which i think is 192.168.1.1 and username and pass and then change it to AP mode and then re connect to the R1

you might need to reboot the R1 to assign IP to it if doesnt work

Archived