Problem with ipv6 on xr500

Hi,

I have the xr500 router plugged straight into a ONT, I have bt 1gb fibre. I've set it up it's all working with Internet. I set up ipv6 and it works normally and shows up on the ipv6 checker. I get 10/10. But 30 mins later it it drops out, I get 0/10 on ipv6 checker, and stuff loads slowly and I have to restart the router or turn ipv6 off. I have tried most combinations but the only way I get it to work is pppoe with the same details as ipv4. Everything else is automatic as it works, but yeh like it said it will only work up to an hour then drops out randomly. Is there a fix for this please 

• Administrators

Which IPv6 settings are you specifically using on the XR? Have you tried the option IPv6 connection options? - Do any of those keep it on more?

Hi yeh I tried most of the options. Passthrough doesn't cause any problems but obviously that leads to no ipv6. 6to4 doesn't work for me and I get slow buffering on webpages. PPPOE works like I said but only up to an hour (I tried using Google dns to solve issues but it works for an 1hr max then drops) I tried updating duma os to 3.3 to see if it was a bug but it did nothing.  I tried dhcp doesn't work from the start. Auto sets it to 6to4 which doesn't work. Where am I going wrong. Some screen shots of it working. I have put ipv6 on now to repeat and I'll send further ones showing that I suddenly get no ipv6.

Screenshot_20240509_153430_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_153353_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_153520_Chrome.jpg

• Administrators

Could you grab the logs from the System Information page when it drops please? The issue is though that the IPv6/Settings pages are a Netgear implementation so our advice on it may be limited

Sorry I struggled to send myself the logs then realised I had two factor authentication so had to adjust the settings. Ipv6 is still currently working 

• Administrators

That's great thanks, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but could you disable the email logs option and also set NAT to Open in WAN Settings and see if it happens again please?

@dusky

If your IPV6 continues to drop off you might have to log into Netgears debug menu and enable the the IPV6  ICMP there.. Which would be allow external IPV6 hosts to ping internal IPV6 hosts.. Thats likely your cause tbh.. Because IPV6 relies heavily on ICMPs to send important messages to make IPV6 work correctly..

192.168.1.1/debug.htm

You would type that in your web browser..

Hope that works for yah!

Thanks!

Zippy.

Okay so this morning ipv6 dropped out again with nat on open so that didn't work. I'm now at work so I can't check the debug menu yet but I'll try that soon as I get back 

• Administrators

Does it connect back on its own? I suspect it might be a lease change, either on the WAN or LAN, if you grab some more logs from when it happens I should be able to tell.

I haven't found it connects on its own, I have to either restart or change the ipv6 setting to off and back on again. I'll grab the logs now 

Okay it happened again but sooner bear in mind I took ipv6 ping to external sources off because that makes it happen sooner. Here are the logs from the last 3hrs or so.

logs 2.docx

Nothing out of ordinary. Tv was streaming, I was on social media. I have two Google home cameras and a Google doorbell cam active. There's smartlighting connected. My girlfriend was on her phone. Multiple Google home devices. Like I can't think of anything I did differently. 

• Administrators

Reason I ask is the last thing that happened prior to you logging in was the router flagging an IP address - now it does this a lot, provide false readings but given it's the only thing showing it's worth looking into. As it's happened a couple of times now are there any devices that were used in all instances of the issue occurring? 

Out of interest what's the ip address of the device. Maybe I could block it and see what device disconnects if it's not

Labelled 

Like I wouldn't know what was used in each instance as sometimes it was over night when devices aren't really used. My dad lives with us and sometimes he stays up late which he would use his phone and watch tv in the kitchen. Could they be flagged up?

• Administrators

It doesn't indicate the device, just that there was a connection. If it helps (probably won't) it's a server in Brazil - it could very well be an actual malicious attack or just general browsing etc. Are you taking the logs from the System Information page or the logs in settings?

What's the next steps? I went through and labeled everything on my network to find out where this is coming from.