Xbox - Alternative port switches on its own

Deasha

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has a fix for an issue I’ve been experiencing for ages. Basically my Xbox series X switches its port that it’s using by itself to a weird 55089 number or somthing similar to that nature. Sometimes it finds 3074 and sticks but other times it just doesn’t want to stay on it. I have my Xbox in DMZ. I’ve also tried port forwarding all Xbox and cod ports, experiencing the same issue and I have also tried UPNP, once again works sometimes but other times decides to do its own thing. Unfortunately when it’s on a 55xxx number there is no way of manually selecting it back to 3074. If I change port to a random 55xxx number and then swap it back to automatic it finds 3074 again, however the moment I leave the network settings screen it goes back to a 55xxx number. Unfortunately on my R3 this effects majority of features working. Any ideas on how to fix this? Cheers guys 

Hey Deasha my series X is doing this as well I'm on R2 & XR500.....

Most the time it uses 3074 but when it decides to go to an alternative port 50xxx to 56xxx it noticeable affects game play. I was wondering if i could create a traffic prioritisation rule in QOS and if so how would it look?

I’m on the R3 and haven’t been able to figure out any permanent solution either. Only thing that sometimes works for me is to swap the method I’m using. For example I was using port forwarding and then it switched to 55xxx so I turn on UPNP and disable port forward and it fixes. Same deal with DMZ, if I deactivate that and try another it can fix. It’s so hit and miss 

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have another console/device you play games on? If so, does this happen when you turn on that device first?

That's a good question Fraser, Yes my son plays on a xboxone but I've never really monitored if this happens when he's online. This is something I have only recently noticed happening but it would explain why my gaming experience is so hit and miss. I've just gone into his settings and manually set his alternative port and i will see if this helps.

Thanks

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Deasha said:

I don’t have any other consoles/gaming devices that I play on 

Take the device out of the DMZ and just apply the 3074 port forwarding rule and see if that helps

In the xbox there should be 2 options, one for use alternate port and the other for default port. You need to select default port and not type in 3074 as your alternate. If it is switching, try putting it on default port, do a full shutdown, then wait 3 minutes and power back up. Does the issue persist? What about in standby mode? 

-Current Xbox Ambassador

15 minutes ago, Deasha said:

@TG3NOC1D3 I’m just about to head to work, but I’ll take a look tonight and get back to you 

No worries bro, I will be around more tomorrow evening since I will be moving tonight and tomorrow throughout the day. I will still monitor via mobile and see if I can get answers on my end from the Ambassador team.

Ok I’ve taken a look and I can confirm that I always use the default port option. The problem is my Xbox is deciding to use 55xxx as its default sometimes. That’s what I’m trying to fix and figure out. It just happens at random times

The only time I mess with alternative ports is to try and get it back to 3076 on the default setting. I do this by changing it to a random 55xxx one and then hitting the default option after that to reset it. 3076 isn’t even an option in alternative ports to pick, they don’t give an option to enter a port either, it’s just a few random 55xxx numbers. 

i currently have Xbox on port 3076 by setting my console to DMZ and using UPNP together. But maybe in a week or two it will random change its default port to a 55xxx number again 

Appreciate your help so far, thanks for writing back 

• Administrators
On 1/31/2024 at 7:38 AM, Deasha said:

Ok I’ve taken a look and I can confirm that I always use the default port option. The problem is my Xbox is deciding to use 55xxx as its default sometimes. That’s what I’m trying to fix and figure out. It just happens at random times

The only time I mess with alternative ports is to try and get it back to 3076 on the default setting. I do this by changing it to a random 55xxx one and then hitting the default option after that to reset it. 3076 isn’t even an option in alternative ports to pick, they don’t give an option to enter a port either, it’s just a few random 55xxx numbers. 

i currently have Xbox on port 3076 by setting my console to DMZ and using UPNP together. But maybe in a week or two it will random change its default port to a 55xxx number again 

Appreciate your help so far, thanks for writing back 

It could be because you have it in the DMZ, remove it then see if it happens again

@Netduma Fraser ive tried all combinations, DMZ, port forwarding, and UPNP, this seems to be a common occurrence with all protocols. I’ve also tried a combination of these protocols as well. I seem to have the most consistency with UPNP and console in DMZ. When the default port changes to a 55XXX number I switch off UPNP and power cycle and it sometimes gets it working again, other times I’ll enable port forwarding instead which sometimes works. And vice versa, next time I’ll enable UPNP and power cycle etc.

• Administrators

Okay try this, make sure DMZ is disabled, set a static/reserved IP for the device then set a port range port forwarding rule:

Source start 3074
Source end 3074
Destination start 1024
Destination end 65535
TCP/UDP

Does that allow you to get an Open NAT and stop the port changing on the console?

@Netduma Fraser I think I figured out the issue. If I have two smart boost priorities set at the same time that conflict my Xbox is changing my default port. I have a repeatable way of doing this. If I set a custom bandwidth reservation for my Xbox and also have gaming set under my priorities as well my automatic port swaps over to a 55xxx. If I delete the gaming priority and leave just the custom bandwidth reservation my default port goes back to 3074 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Deasha said:

@Netduma Fraser I think I figured out the issue. If I have two smart boost priorities set at the same time that conflict my Xbox is changing my default port. I have a repeatable way of doing this. If I set a custom bandwidth reservation for my Xbox and also have gaming set under my priorities as well my automatic port swaps over to a 55xxx. If I delete the gaming priority and leave just the custom bandwidth reservation my default port goes back to 3074 

That doesn't make any sense really, I don't know why it would result in that behavior, I will pass it onto the team to try to reproduce. Thanks for the report!

On 2/4/2024 at 2:09 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

That doesn't make any sense really, I don't know why it would result in that behavior, I will pass it onto the team to try to reproduce. Thanks for the report!

In a way it actually does make sense, smartboost it seems is port based for traffic, so if gaming traffic has a wide port range, it could be conflicting enough to make the xbox say, "Oh this port is taken, swapping to another door (port) to use." It's like 2 devices requesting but the router is acting as the device for some reason. Kinda wanna try to reproduce this with COD and an Xbox Game Pass PC title when my router gets here.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

In a way it actually does make sense, smartboost it seems is port based for traffic, so if gaming traffic has a wide port range, it could be conflicting enough to make the xbox say, "Oh this port is taken, swapping to another door (port) to use." It's like 2 devices requesting but the router is acting as the device for some reason. Kinda wanna try to reproduce this with COD and an Xbox Game Pass PC title when my router gets here.

It's just prioritizing traffic though, not doing any kind of blocking or port forwarding 

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's just prioritizing traffic though, not doing any kind of blocking or port forwarding 

hmmm, is it prio based on ports though? Like, does the router say "x ports are now prio for first in first out" ? Just curious as to what would trigger the xbox so see a conflicting port. It also could very well be a firmware issue on the xbox causing it to avoid that 3074 port. 

On 2/3/2024 at 9:59 PM, Deasha said:

Hey Deasha, are you playing call of duty and port forwarding that at all?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, TG3NOC1D3 said:

hmmm, is it prio based on ports though? Like, does the router say "x ports are now prio for first in first out" ? Just curious as to what would trigger the xbox so see a conflicting port. It also could very well be a firmware issue on the xbox causing it to avoid that 3074 port. 

For consoles potentially yes but I think it is more DPI based now e.g. if you're playing on an Xbox it should be able to tell you're playing CoD which it could tell based on ports alone

@TG3NOC1D3Yes, only playing COD, I’m currently using a combination, was having trouble again with default port switching. So I’ve port forwarded Frasers recommendation of 

Source start 3074

Source end 3074

Destination start 1024

Destination end 65535

TCP/UDP
I also have UPNP turned on as well

Fraser’s way still picked up a 55xxx port, but when I went and manually picked another random port in Xbox settings and then switched back to default it found 3074. It’s so hit and miss

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For consoles potentially yes but I think it is more DPI based now e.g. if you're playing on an Xbox it should be able to tell you're playing CoD which it could tell based on ports alone

Interesting, just trying to wrap my head around the DPI setup. Idk man, I'm kind of at a loss because using my UDM Pro atm, my console sticks to 3075 for my PS5 on COD and my Xbox Live keeps using 3074 for my connection to the Xbox PC Halo port.

• Administrators
On 2/7/2024 at 4:19 PM, TG3NOC1D3 said:

Interesting, just trying to wrap my head around the DPI setup. Idk man, I'm kind of at a loss because using my UDM Pro atm, my console sticks to 3075 for my PS5 on COD and my Xbox Live keeps using 3074 for my connection to the Xbox PC Halo port.

Sorry I actually meant it can't tell the game based on ports. It is bizarre, we'll be looking into it.