Anyone get randomly HIGH pings on nearby/local servers?

Let me explain.  Not every game, but at least one out of every 5 games shows that I have an in-game (according to the Telemetry bar from Activision) sub-30 ping. Normally between 25 - 29.  I know when I see Activision saying this, that I have, what I've labeled a 'fake ping', as my normal ping to my ISP is typically 27-32ms via traceroute, or speedtest.net ~ so add to that the COD server's ping, there's no way I'm connecting at 25-27 as Activision says.  When this happens, I look at my R3, and it shows something more along the lines of 100+ ping -- typically 130-160, as seen below (also, how's that remotely 'Fair' :) :

image.thumb.png.6ce133d8c58e095fab3b6b79ba7146a9.png

1) Does anyone else have this issue? This was happening with my XR500 (but I couldn't see my ping on the router then)... and it's still doing it.

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be done about this?

I play with others that have also experienced this (without NetDuma), so I doubt it's something I can 'fix' with my network, or QoS -- instead, it's CoD-related... but wanted to make sure I've checked everything.

Firstly run 4.0.23 firmware if you haven't. 

Disable IPV6 for both WAN/LAN. 

If you're upgrading to 4.0.23 I suggest you factory reset and disable IPV6 for both after. Also, what I did was disabled geolatency and filtering mode for Call of Duty under Geofiltering. Try it and see if it helps. I also had weird ping spiking almost double of what I usually have playing on Australian servers from Singapore and as of now with these settings, I haven't experienced any issues on weird high ping inconsistencies from game to game. 

What is the ping that the game shows when R3 shows 150 ping? If you also have a high ping in the game, it could be a poorly located server.

35 minutes ago, satinghostrider said:

Firstly run 4.0.23 firmware if you haven't. 

I've requested it :)

36 minutes ago, satinghostrider said:

Disable IPV6 for both WAN/LAN. 

Already had both done.

36 minutes ago, satinghostrider said:

If you're upgrading to 4.0.23 I suggest you factory reset and disable IPV6 for both after. 

Before a reset, are there ways to save/export settings, such as custom names of devices on the network -- that takes/took a good bit of time.

Also, I wouldn't consider this a spike, as it lasts the entire game.  Lastly, this predates my R3... as the same thing would happen with my XR500.  I noticed it most towards the end of MWII, and it's seeped over into MWIII (both XR500 and R3).

36 minutes ago, titofuenla said:

What is the ping that the game shows when R3 shows 150 ping? If you also have a high ping in the game, it could be a poorly located server.

As I mentioned, in the 20's -- normally between 25 and 32, give or take a millisecond... which is almost my ping to my ISP, so I know that's not possible, as the CoD server is going to add more latency to my ISP's.

1 hour ago, titofuenla said:

35 minutes ago, mindlash said:

I've requested it :)

Already had both done.

Before a reset, are there ways to save/export settings, such as custom names of devices on the network -- that takes/took a good bit of time.

Also, I wouldn't consider this a spike, as it lasts the entire game.  Lastly, this predates my R3... as the same thing would happen with my XR500.  I noticed it most towards the end of MWII, and it's seeped over into MWIII (both XR500 and R3).

As I mentioned, in the 20's -- normally between 25 and 32, give or take a millisecond... which is almost my ping to my ISP, so I know that's not possible, as the CoD server is going to add more latency to my ISP's.

No way to restore settings as of yet. 

I never had this problem on my XR500. My problem is that playing games on Australian servers is usually 93ms but on R3 after a few games, I'll sit on 200ms ping which is dreadful. Sorry I didn't make it clear it was not a spike it just goes to 200ms ping after 2 or 3 games. So as outlined above, after doing all that, I didn't have that issue again. 

• Administrators

Given what you've mentioned it's either the server itself, e.g. it may be heavily under load or local congestion, however even though the ping is high it does appear to be quite stable which makes me think it probably is the server rather than anything on your end. Add it to your denied list and every time you encounter one like it keep doing that and then hopefully you won't get that issue again after a few denied runs

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Given what you've mentioned it's either the server itself, e.g. it may be heavily under load or local congestion, however even though the ping is high it does appear to be quite stable which makes me think it probably is the server rather than anything on your end. Add it to your denied list and every time you encounter one like it keep doing that and then hopefully you won't get that issue again after a few denied runs

Curious -- How many servers are in Georgia, USA? I blocked 5 servers with high pings...  and approved 3 or 4 others that had low pings (even named them with the average ping I was having). This is ultimately pointless I suppose until there is a way to export/import these settings.  But I'm just testing at this point.

image.png.dc779b1571fd550d1ef51b9aeb578d6a.png

• Administrators
3 hours ago, mindlash said:

Curious -- How many servers are in Georgia, USA? I blocked 5 servers with high pings...  and approved 3 or 4 others that had low pings (even named them with the average ping I was having). This is ultimately pointless I suppose until there is a way to export/import these settings.  But I'm just testing at this point.

There could be many servers clustered in the same location, we don't have an exact number as they could turn on/off ones at different times of day etc. Why is it pointless unless you can import/export?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Why is it pointless unless you can import/export?

Oh, because with various firmware updates and resets I would lose my approve/blocks that I’m doing at the moment :)