Brief Review of my R3

satinghostrider

I've since setup my R3 the last couple of days and wasn't too pleased till Fraser sent me 4.0.23 firmware where I felt it was a much better experience moving forward. 

Today I actually started gaming properly on the Netduma R3 and I have to say I'm very happy I got the router. I'm on 1Gbps UP/DOWN Fibre Internet so it's plenty fast for my household. There are already 10Gbps fibre available here in Singapore but it's an overkill for my use. 

I'll briefly summarise some of the issues I had if any of these could help you guys 

1. For PC, if MW3 doesn't show as OPEN for NAT, what I'd recommend you to do is reset your windows network settings and factory reset your router after doing so. Once I did it, 90% of the time under UPNP in dumaos will show as demonware port mapping with 3074 port open. And once you close the game, it goes off. Initially it didn't work at all for me and I just tried resetting my windows network settings and it worked properly after. The other 10% where MW3 will show it as moderate, I'd have to reboot my PC and it will show as open again. I guess with future firmware this could be improved. 

2. Ping stabilising doesn't seem to work reliably for some servers I've played on. By and large it works well, but I think netduma really have to improve it further. I find this usually happens on ping >100ms where the server connection is very volatile. 

3. SmartQOS works fine and prioritises everything so far for my case use. Call of Duty packets are nicely tagged even whatever you're doing in your handphone you can see exactly on dumaos what's going on. Both scary and entertaining. 

4. RGB is a nice touch but please have an option where you can set it off as well but light up during gaming option as well. The god damn white LEDS should also have an option to switch them off. They are much too bright. You guys fitted a high beam in the router or what. 

5. WPS is totally borked even on 4.0.23. The button doesn't work and I can't connect my printer to it as of today. Neither is there a GUI to add it from dumaos unlike XR500 which had it. Please fix this. 

I don't really use much of the other stuff and I'm pretty damn happy I've got the Netduma R3. It's not perfect but I know @Netduma Fraserand team will improve the R3 with future firmwares which wilk significantly improve everyone's experience.

Afterall, the main reason of why I got the R3 was this community and the dedication of Fraser and his team to ensure everyone is taken care off and assisted at any time. 

I've recorded this gameplay on Japan server which plays around 80-90ms of ping. The hitreg is very predictable and crisp. However going to 15ms-48ms servers is definitely snappier and bullets seems to register noticeably faster. Since I'm not hosting the games with my friends from HK, Japan servers come in rotation from time to time and I just play it and I think it's definitely much more playable now with the R3. On my XR500, bullet hitreg seemed very spongy to me unless I was on 2ms-50ms servers but even then it wasn't consistent. I've played last 2 days intensively on the R3 and things seems way more consistent so far in the various pings from different servers I've played on. 

20231226_230735.jpg

20231224_215349.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_225129.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_225144.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_221324.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_205413.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_215623.jpg

• Administrators
On 12/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, satinghostrider said:

1. For PC, if MW3 doesn't show as OPEN for NAT, what I'd recommend you to do is reset your windows network settings and factory reset your router after doing so. Once I did it, 90% of the time under UPNP in dumaos will show as demonware port mapping with 3074 port open. And once you close the game, it goes off. Initially it didn't work at all for me and I just tried resetting my windows network settings and it worked properly after. The other 10% where MW3 will show it as moderate, I'd have to reboot my PC and it will show as open again. I guess with future firmware this could be improved. 

2. Ping stabilising doesn't seem to work reliably for some servers I've played on. By and large it works well, but I think netduma really have to improve it further. I find this usually happens on ping >100ms where the server connection is very volatile. 

3. SmartQOS works fine and prioritises everything so far for my case use. Call of Duty packets are nicely tagged even whatever you're doing in your handphone you can see exactly on dumaos what's going on. Both scary and entertaining. 

4. RGB is a nice touch but please have an option where you can set it off as well but light up during gaming option as well. The god damn white LEDS should also have an option to switch them off. They are much too bright. You guys fitted a high beam in the router or what. 

5. WPS is totally borked even on 4.0.23. The button doesn't work and I can't connect my printer to it as of today. Neither is there a GUI to add it from dumaos unlike XR500 which had it. Please fix this. 

Thank you for the review, to comment on some of your points:

1. That's great to know thank you, we're aware there may be some issues with UPnP triggering properly so the team will be looking into that when they're back.
  2. The team will be improving this more, some times it won't be possible to stabilize the ping and it won't always work for other games.
  3. Great!
  4. You can disable it, just click "Off" on the RGB controls. If you click change mode as well you'll see the option for dynamic game lighting, this should be enabled by default so you should this in game, if not let us know. The white LEDs that has been requested so it is on the list.
  5. I've let the team know so they'll look into it when they're back

On 12/28/2023 at 2:57 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the review, to comment on some of your points:

1. That's great to know thank you, we're aware there may be some issues with UPnP triggering properly so the team will be looking into that when they're back.
  2. The team will be improving this more, some times it won't be possible to stabilize the ping and it won't always work for other games.
  3. Great!
  4. You can disable it, just click "Off" on the RGB controls. If you click change mode as well you'll see the option for dynamic game lighting, this should be enabled by default so you should this in game, if not let us know. The white LEDs that has been requested so it is on the list.
  5. I've let the team know so they'll look into it when they're back

Thanks Fraser. I really hope you all can sort out the WPS function. When I press the button on the router, even the led light doesn't light up. I badly need this function as my house does alot of printing and there is no other way to connect the printer. Even using a printer cable direct from printer to router does not work either.