Creating Mesh network

Kyle

Hi. I just preordered the R3 and planning on creating a mesh network in my house. What do you think is best route about doing this? Which router would match R3 better to have a seamless mesh network in the house?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be fine, we haven't specifically tested the R3 with any mesh systems I don't think but in theory there wouldn't be a problem

Thanks. Any link to instructions on how to set this up properly?

I have the Asus Aimesh setup with a couple of different routers (GTAX11000 and RTAX86u). I pre ordered the R3 to be my primary when it arrives but in its place, I have the XR700 (with wifi disabled) and enabled my Aimesh nodes into AP mode.   I don't know if this was your question, but I can confirm you can run the Aimesh in AP mode.  

On 12/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, PharmDawgg said:

I have the Asus Aimesh setup with a couple of different routers (GTAX11000 and RTAX86u). I pre ordered the R3 to be my primary when it arrives but in its place, I have the XR700 (with wifi disabled) and enabled my Aimesh nodes into AP mode.   I don't know if this was your question, but I can confirm you can run the Aimesh in AP mode.  

Thanks @PharmDawgg The plan is to have the R3 as the primary when it arrives and use the two Orbi satellites as the nodes. So after I set the R3 as the primary, I set the Orbi router as the AP, correct? And turn off wireless features on the R3. What else do I need to do?

oh and to connect the two routers together, Ethernet cable from the R3 goes into the LAN or the WAN port?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Kyle said:

Thanks @PharmDawgg The plan is to have the R3 as the primary when it arrives and use the two Orbi satellites as the nodes. So after I set the R3 as the primary, I set the Orbi router as the AP, correct? And turn off wireless features on the R3. What else do I need to do?

oh and to connect the two routers together, Ethernet cable from the R3 goes into the LAN or the WAN port?

Not sure on how you set them up exactly but what you suggested there would work.

R3 LAN > Orbi WAN

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Not sure on how you set them up exactly but what you suggested there would work.

R3 LAN > Orbi WAN

@Kyle
I’m not sure how Netgear Aimesh works but with Asus you can enable AP mode on routers with Aimesh and you can still use the Aimesh. 

I connected the primary Aimesh node (gt-ax11000) to the xr700((DumaOS router) by ethernet -lan to lan.  Then I connected the other node by way of a wifi backhaul. Sorry to say connecting by way of ethernet or power line wasn’t an option. 

I did have a hiccup. It did not work initially so I had to factory reset the Asus routers and then turn on AP mode. For  some reason turning on the AP mode initially didn't take.

But everything is good to go right now and just waiting to replace the xr700 ( old and busted) with the R3 (new hotness). 

Hope this helps. 

On 12/14/2023 at 4:38 AM, PharmDawgg said:

@Kyle
I’m not sure how Netgear Aimesh works but with Asus you can enable AP mode on routers with Aimesh and you can still use the Aimesh. 

I connected the primary Aimesh node (gt-ax11000) to the xr700((DumaOS router) by ethernet -lan to lan.  Then I connected the other node by way of a wifi backhaul. Sorry to say connecting by way of ethernet or power line wasn’t an option. 

I did have a hiccup. It did not work initially so I had to factory reset the Asus routers and then turn on AP mode. For  some reason turning on the AP mode initially didn't take.

But everything is good to go right now and just waiting to replace the xr700 ( old and busted) with the R3 (new hotness). 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you for the responses. 

So is it like this for you and it works?

xr700 LAN to ax11000 WAN?

I have a wired backhaul in my house so would that be any different as to how your setup is?

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Thank you for the responses. 

So is it like this for you and it works?

xr700 LAN to ax11000 WAN?

I have a wired backhaul in my house so would that be any different as to how your setup is?

I have xr700 lan to ax11000 (ap mode) lan

and then i have the ax11000 connected to an rtax86u by way of a wireless backhaul. I couldn't do a wired backhaul but yes it would be more optimal.

4 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

I have xr700 lan to ax11000 (ap mode) lan

and then i have the ax11000 connected to an rtax86u by way of a wireless backhaul. I couldn't do a wired backhaul but yes it would be more optimal.

Thank you again. Received the R3 two days ago. Haven’t set it up yet but wanted to make sure first on how to set it up correctly. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Thank you again. Received the R3 two days ago. Haven’t set it up yet but wanted to make sure first on how to set it up correctly. 

No problemm I haven’t gotten mine yet. Hopefully it will be today. I will be replacing the xr700 with the R3. 

37 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

No problemm I haven’t gotten mine yet. Hopefully it will be today. I will be replacing the xr700 with the R3. 

Hope you get it soon

Just curious, @Netduma Frasersaid R3 LAN to Orbi WAN for my situation instead of LAN to LAN. Isn’t that a big difference? 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Hope you get it soon

Just curious, @Netduma Frasersaid R3 LAN to Orbi WAN for my situation instead of LAN to LAN. Isn’t that a big difference? 

The router receiving internet should always have the internet source connected to the WAN, like the R3 WAN is connecting to the internet source via the WAN port

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The router receiving internet should always have the internet source connected to the WAN, like the R3 WAN is connecting to the internet source via the WAN port

Thank you. I know that. I’m talking about connecting to the second router’s port

So internet into the R3 WAN port. Then from there, you said a second Ethernet cable from R3 LAN to Orbi WAN port, correct? 
Where I get confused is @PharmDawggsays LAN to LAN. 

Am I missing something?

Edit: I have one Orbi router and two Satellites with wired backhaul right now trying to add R3 as the main router and use the other three together as mesh system(R3+orbi+satellites)

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Thank you. I know that. I’m talking about connecting to the second router’s port

So internet into the R3 WAN port. Then from there, you said a second Ethernet cable from R3 LAN to Orbi WAN port, correct? 
Where I get confused is @PharmDawggsays LAN to LAN. 

Am I missing something?

Edit: I have one Orbi router and two Satellites with wired backhaul right now trying to add R3 as the main router and use the other three together as mesh system(R3+orbi+satellites)

That would generally be right unless the mesh system works LAN to LAN, best to listen to Pharm as he has done it personally!

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That would generally be right unless the mesh system works LAN to LAN, best to listen to Pharm as he has done it personally!

Thanks. So it can work either way depending on the system?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should work if  the mesh network is Asus products. Unsure of other manufacturers recommendations. Sorry.