Help! Packetloss from XR1000

Hi Team, 

Been conversing with ISP to identify why disconnections are taking place while delivering seminars via zoom, playing video games or even just watching youtube videos. They ran a pingplotter test and identified some packet loss. Any suggested solutions on how to resolve this? 

Note I am semi-tech literate - so stepping through would be helpful.

Thanks.

ping plotter result (1).PNG

Did you first test packet loss with Pingplotter app on a wired PC connected directly behind the ISP modem or ONT with out the XR router being in the middle? 
What brand and model ISP modem or router are you using? 

Whos your ISP service. 

ISP is Aussie Broadband - they conducted the Pingplotter test on my behalf, so I am unsure as to how to answer your question directly. Experiencing the dropouts on a PC via wifi connection.

I am using the Netgear XR1000 Gaming Router. And a "black box NBN box" for the modem. I understand being Australian based might have some variation as to what you might be used to dealing with.

@DDCTo note that is pretty bad packet loss since it is consistent something I have had prior on my line so it definitely something that going to affect your day to day activities especially anything to do with VOIP like games...

Using ping plotter you can tell if your equipment is at fault if you lose packets on the first hop something to note as many ISP love to claim that it your equipment fault and waste your time when they don't know how to check

Edited by DARKNESS

• Administrators

You first need to identify what the cause is, whether it's the XR or the box/ISP, surprised they just generated a test and gave it to you without any follow up suggestions.

You can follow this guide: https://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping to use Ping Plotter, connect your PC direct to the box and try it, see if you get packet loss then. If so you'll need to go back to the ISP.

I've taken the router to supplier to have a look at. But funnily enough, the temp router sent to me by the ISP is also dropping connections - so now I think it isnt a router issue again. Oh the confusion!

You'll need to contact the ISP and have them send a tech out and have one wired PC connected to there modem. Have them review the ping plotter information and results. 

Something I mention to cable modem users so may not all apply to your ISP or configuration but give some direction:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Good Luck.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, DDC said:

I've taken the router to supplier to have a look at. But funnily enough, the temp router sent to me by the ISP is also dropping connections - so now I think it isnt a router issue again. Oh the confusion!

Sounds like it could be a wider issue then as above, best to contact them and see what they can do!

Had the same issue long ago with my ISP, they couldn't determine why until a tech came out and tested the distribution box to my neighborhood and found out it was dropping packets. They had to get an engineer out to fix it. Sounds like it's on their end. Download the Speedtest app on your PC and it can show you packet loss and do it hardwired without the XR connected, just the modem to the PC.