Questions about R2

ai_

Hi,

I recently discovered Netduma and I had some questions about it, please help me out.

Is the DumaOS a monthly subscription? Or is it included for free with the R2 router once you buy that?

And can you please confirm for me that the R2 has a feature that works similar to what a VPN would do if I wanted to play on a different region on games like COD. I believe it's called the Geo-Filter feature? Right now I am using ExitLag to connect from EU to USA servers, but I guess I won't need that subscription anymore if I bought the R2 right?

And lastly, I discovered that my modem does not support bridge modus. Should I get myself a new modem? If yes, what modem do you guys recommend? I also read something about setting up a DMZ, but how can I be sure that will work for my modem?

The R2 is a router with features as you mentioned.

1. R2 is a standalone router, no subscription fee.

2. You can add your VPN of your choice. For example, if you're a NORDVPN subscriber, you can use your credentials from NordVpn and ADD them to the R2.
(ExitLag, I don't believe, is added among the list)

3. Yes, you're correct. The Netduma R2, doesn't have a "DMZ" Mode, but it does have port-forwarding and you can OPEN the desired ports.

Having YOUR OWN modem does alleviate any headaches you may have when it comes to having any more of a direct connection. Yes, if you're willing to spend just a little bit, then buying your own MODEM would be best.

But, you're in the EU. The modem recommendation would be slightly different from the U.S. Someone would have to chime in there.

20 minutes ago, TrayDay said:

The R2 is a router with features as you mentioned.

1. R2 is a standalone router, no subscription fee.

2. You can add your VPN of your choice. For example, if you're a NORDVPN subscriber, you can use your credentials from NordVpn and ADD them to the R2.
(ExitLag, I don't believe, is added among the list)

3. Yes, you're correct. The Netduma R2, doesn't have a "DMZ" Mode, but it does have port-forwarding and you can OPEN the desired ports.

Having YOUR OWN modem does alleviate any headaches you may have when it comes to having any more of a direct connection. Yes, if you're willing to spend just a little bit, then buying your own MODEM would be best.

But, you're in the EU. The modem recommendation would be slightly different from the U.S. Someone would have to chime in there.

Thanks for the info, so basically I still need a VPN if I want to connect to USA servers when I live in the EU?

20 minutes ago, ai_ said:

Thanks for the info, so basically I still need a VPN if I want to connect to USA servers when I live in the EU?

That is correct. The Geo-Filter, will help some, but it will also need to have VPN. With Geo-Filter, you can restrict where in U.S. you want.

The Geo-Filter, can also aid in being able to restrict servers when you can CHOOSE the server you want to be on and stay within' that GEO area.

• Administrators

Some good advice above, check your modem interface to see if it has a DMZ function, if it doesn't then check for port forwarding, if it doesn't does the modem have WiFi? If it does but doesn't have any of those software features then it would be a good idea to get a different modem.

You can use the Geo-Filter to force different servers around the world but it's not always guaranteed. Just so you know we won't provide support for circumventing SBMM.