Settings wont apply in game

Satiros

Hi all,just bought r2 yesterday for playing cod mw2 multiplayer. My usual ping is from 48-53.

First set up had geo filter around my area,filtered mode always and strict and ping assist at 0. All lobbies were under 50. All good.

Then wanted to mess around. Went to polygon mode and set saudi Arabia. Rebooted game and unfortunately it kept putting me in europe servers no matter what. Changed geo filter back to my country and then it put me in saudi arabia. 

Than tried to rely on ping. Set the geo filter at the centre of the ocean and ping assist at 50. It put me in lobbies with 57 ms ping.

So in general,I feel that it doesnt apply the changes. Well ,it does but it takes too long. Note here, that Whatever I do I do it with game being off. Change settings then open it up.

I tried the saudi arabia and it didnt work. Half an hour later as I was playing and after I changed all settings back to normal it started putting me only in arabia servers.

Also, I want let's say to find lobbies 50ms and below. I set ping assist at 50. At that point ,the strict mode should be open or closed?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators

Try this, for when you're wanting to change the location specifically:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works. It's also worth noting that forcing servers much further away isn't always guaranteed.

Ping Assist is an assist, not a hard filter, the way it works you can sometimes get servers slightly higher than what you set. It's best to set it to 0 if you're wanting to force a specific location.

Thanks for the reply. 

So if ping assist is at 0 ,it's like it is "disabled" ? Is that right ?

Also,when booting up the game ,I can see several icons (servers,players, etc) on the map. After 3 seconds all disappear. When starting search for a match (call of duty) I can see one server,which it disappears after a while.  That's it. 

Shouldnt netduma showing all the servers around the globe ? 

Thanks 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Satiros said:

Thanks for the reply. 

So if ping assist is at 0 ,it's like it is "disabled" ? Is that right ?

Also,when booting up the game ,I can see several icons (servers,players, etc) on the map. After 3 seconds all disappear. When starting search for a match (call of duty) I can see one server,which it disappears after a while.  That's it. 

Shouldnt netduma showing all the servers around the globe ? 

Thanks 

Yes 0 is the same as disabled.

The Geo-Filter shows connections as and when they make a connection to you, when you boot up the game the game tests your ability to connect to servers worldwide, hence why you can see them all on the map briefly. This is also why it is important to make changes before that test occurs. Once you're on the game you'll potentially see any servers it attempts to connect to but can't or just a server that is allowed. If you set it all up before hand then it should just find one within your radius pretty quickly.

Ok it seems everything started to make sense after your comments. Apparently, I wasnt getting the concept behind the geo filter.

So far my everything is looking good.

Just a couple of questions more.

How do I know in which server/peer I'm actually connected to? 

Also ,is there any guide on icons meaning ? I mean I can see the "blocked player "icon inside my geo filter radius  but what exactly that means ? Havent blocked anyone. Havent done anything either deny or allow. 

Thanks  

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Satiros said:

How do I know in which server/peer I'm actually connected to? 

Also ,is there any guide on icons meaning ? I mean I can see the "blocked player "icon inside my geo filter radius  but what exactly that means ? Havent blocked anyone. Havent done anything either deny or allow. 

The host of the game you're in will always appear as the biggest icon on the map and usually within your radius.

So there is the legend on the right side, I can explain what they mean:

image.png

So server/player you already know, blocked means it's been blocked by your radius/Geo-Filter settings. Ping Assist means that server or player has been connected to via ping assist.

The bottom 4 refer to the allow/deny list so if something you have allowed/denied appears on the map it will look like that. 

You may also see authentication servers that appear with the solid white circle around them indicating they have been allowed which mean they have been whitelisted by us for everyone as it's required to play online for your game/console. Other than the fact it has the solid white circle around it you'll most often notice it outside your radius, usually in Ireland or West Coast US. These servers will not impact your game experience even if their ping appears to be high so you can ignore them.

Thanks for the reply,

What is happening with parties? I'm playing usually with 45ms ping. My friend has like 75ms. He will join my lobbies no matter what ? 

If I'm using netduma and he is the party leader,will my setting apply? 

• Administrators

If you want to use the Geo-Filter it's best to be the party leader otherwise you risk being kicked out if a game is found outside your radius. 

For friends you'll need to add them to the allow list so you can always connect to them, you can see how to do that at the bottom of this guide: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-filter

From what I'm reading in the guide there's no need to whitelist my friends cause they live right next to me.Apart from that,  when I join my friends party where can I see that connection so I can whitelist him. 

Is there something on Duma os which shows that specific  connection between my friend and me ?

Also,if my settings are based purely on ping (location Atlantic ocean) , and set it at 50ms,when I join my friend's party(who cant have 50ms ping ,it's too low for him) will be able to find a game? 

Cause I thought netduma settings are applying only when I'm the party leader.

• Administrators

They may appear elsewhere on the map - IP databases won't be 100% accurate so a good idea to check still. If you follow the guide for it you invite them to your lobby and they'll appear on the map and then you can add them to the allow list. From there you may see them on the map with the solid white circle. 

If you join your friends party with the Geo-Filter then there is a chance you will be kicked so best to disable it if you're not the party leader.

Ok this is getting out of hand. Suddenly my nat type is strict. I copied the wan ip to isp router dmz. Nothing changed. When I do a test in console my ping is 250ms. It should be around 50.

It's like I've changed the location to us.( I'm in Europe).

No matter what I do,when I connect netduma in my console,my xbox ping shows 250ms.

In game no filter works. I'm getting ping from a us server which cant connect due to ping assist. If I close ping assist then I only connect to us servers with 150 ping.

Reset netduma twice to ensure my location. Nothing changed. Any ideas ?

• Administrators

Could you provide a screenshot of your Geo-Filter page please?

Once you've set that DMZ you'll need to reboot the R2 to make sure it applies correctly. 

Don't worry about the ping shown on the console test, it's just to check you're connected to their servers, it doesn't play a part in your game experience.

Don't use Ping Assist, use the radius exclusively, if you follow those numbers steps I mentioned above you'll get into a game within your radius.

ok this is what happening.. i checked if console's ip matches netduma. All good. 

Once again my ping is 250ms when tested on xbox but you said to ignore it. As i did...Once again done all the steps and waited 2 minutes until open game. Search match began at 175ms ping and eventually it found a match and i had 180ms ping. 

Once again reset everything and did all the steps again. Run a test on xbox and my ping was at 67 which it was a sign everything is good. Played a few matches and everything was working just fine. I closed the game for like 10 minutes and came back to continue playing.

Once again matchmaking started from 154ms and eventually once again it found a match in us. 

So it seems that when the xbox test shows ping from us(very very high) then netduma is behaving like im in us ignoring all my filters. When my xbox test shows normal ping then i know everything is allright. 

Also, i was party leader and after netduma raised my blood pressure i decided to dismantle party and join another friend. Now he couldnt find match either. Went up to 200ms and started from start again and again. It;s like im affecting my friend;s party too.

The photo is when my xbox party shows above 200ms ping. When i know that im gonna connect to US. The same is happening when im using radius instead of ping assist. After all, i dont want to use radius. Im in europe we have limited servers for cod. So the whole idea when buying netduma is to play at servers below 50. I dont care where they are France or Uk

image.jpeg

20231024_190720.jpg

20231024_195014.jpg

20231024_181813.jpg

• Administrators

You can use the radius and move your location so you can force those servers in Europe, there are quite a few around if you take a look in Ping Heatmap, that way you can then disable Ping Assist which I don't think is helping you at all, especially if it's enabled before the game is booted up. Disable Ping Assist, move your location to more central Europe, open the radius to 1000-2000km. Do the process I mentioned again then search for a game.

Also if extra screenshots are needed use this guide, then I can see the whole page:

https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000022394-how-do-i-take-a-screenshot-

As I said ping assist is my main goal. If I do what you suggest then there is no reason for me to own a netduma cause servers in europe match me from 43 to 70. So when ping assist actually works then I have lobbies only under 50.

But let's forget that. As I said the same thing is happening when using radius. Xbox test shows 200 ping and my matchmaking starts from 154.

So you havent answered my real question. Why every time I set everything correctly and make a simple restart to game ,everything does not work anymore ?

That happens since day 1. 

This is what im getting with radius. Two peers (maybe servers, i dont know). In the ping heat map shows a couple of servers in Italy but never show up in my map, The only thing i get every time is thise two peers. One of them has 57 ms ping. Which is why i wanted to use ping assist in the first place. I know i can allow/deny servers but then what point ping assist has?

Ping assist works just fine as long as i wont close the game. That;s my issue. 

Untitled.png

Hi,

Firstly, there are no dedicated servers within 50ms of your location!

Secondly, the xbox ping corresponds to the ping of the test server in "Ireland or UK"!

You will not be able to experience better in Greece "and with your ISP" apart from increasing your ping assist to capture the servers closest to you....

There arent 50ms ping servers within my radius? So there are peers maybe? Cause when ping assist actually works i have matches from 42-47ms... All the time.

My xbox ping without netduma is around 60ms. When i connect netduma is around 200ms.

If the case is that you wont believe me or you think im mistaken then i few screenshots maybe will convince you. When ping assist works.

ping.jpg

• Administrators

Based on your Ping Heatmap it's going to be very hard to secure servers under 50ms using Ping Assist. As you know where the servers are that give you the lowest ping, instead of using the radius which may cover other servers a little higher, use the polygon mode then draw around the servers you want. That will then block all other servers outside the servers you want to connect to. Ping Assist is more of an assist, it is not a hard limit and you can get servers higher than that value when using it - it will not be a consistent way to get servers according to your requirements. Italian and Spanish servers are also notoriously hard to force as they don't always seem to be online - you may have better luck with those ones specifically during different times of the day.

I don't live in Greece... But peer servers, on this game in France, don't exist...!

Could you take a capture of the server IDs you come across with the geofilter disabled (keeping the xbox in the geofilter)?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Based on your Ping Heatmap it's going to be very hard to secure servers under 50ms using Ping Assist. As you know where the servers are that give you the lowest ping, instead of using the radius which may cover other servers a little higher, use the polygon mode then draw around the servers you want. That will then block all other servers outside the servers you want to connect to. Ping Assist is more of an assist, it is not a hard limit and you can get servers higher than that value when using it - it will not be a consistent way to get servers according to your requirements. Italian and Spanish servers are also notoriously hard to force as they don't always seem to be online - you may have better luck with those ones specifically during different times of the day.

Yes !

Take 80 ms + or - in ping assist for example, ping assist will show you the server to which you are connecting and at worst if you don't like it you can restart a game search!

4 minutes ago, Satiros said:

Forget about me. Really. Im asking one simple question  and all i get is something else.. Why everytime i restart the game my netduma filters are gone? And i have to make numerous resets again?

What exactly is disappearing?