Upload speed

Alix

Hi wanting some advice hope you don't mind me posting as it's not about netduma just want some techi advice iam moving internet providers offering 50mbps download and 50mbps upload it was a great offer they are offering.

Just wanted to know if upload speed is important too?

@AlixUpload is more crucial for like VOIP services if you can get 100mbs and 20 upload that the sweet spot though it is without a doubt extremely rare unless your in a country with fiber speeds and don't have to spend a fortune to get higher uploads than 40 😂

Hi @DARKNESSIam getting 50mbps download and 50mbps upload full fibre but wasn't sure if upload was important for gaming but Fraser as helped. 

I was going to ask my new ISP to take 30mbps off the upload and put it on the download leaving 20mbps upload.

This would mean my new connection wouldn't be 50mbps download and 50mbps upload it would be 80mbps download and 20mbps upload instead 

• Administrators
Just now, Alix said:

Hi @DARKNESSIam getting 50mbps download and 50mbps upload full fibre but wasn't sure if upload was important for gaming but Fraser as helped. 

I was going to ask my new ISP to take 30mbps off the upload and put it on the download leaving 20mbps upload.

This would mean my new connection wouldn't be 50mbps download and 50mbps upload it would be 80mbps download and 20mbps upload instead 

I think that is very unlikely to happen, ISPs are generally quite rigid and just provide the plans they advertise. It also depends on your line and whether it's even capable of 80Mbps.

@Netduma Fraserthey was offering 1000mbps download and upload so I think it would be capable 80mbps but like you say they might not change plans they are offering would be sweet. Plus with my new ISP I get a WiFi 6 router hopefully it will work with netduma 

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Alix said:

@Netduma Fraserthey was offering 1000mbps download and upload so I think it would be capable 80mbps but like you say they might not change plans they are offering would be sweet. Plus with my new ISP I get a WiFi 6 router hopefully it will work with netduma 

Ah great! They'll probably try and shift you towards the higher speed/higher price plan but you never know, don't ask don't get! Yeah it'll work, just connect it up to the new router and you'll be good to go.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Alix said:

@Netduma FraserJust read online that low upload speed you will lag on games do you think 20mbps upload be enough to stop me from lagging just going to ring ISP up to see what they say.

Yeah it's plenty, games barely using any bandwidth