Problems with new Nighthawk 1000 Xr

Hello, 

I just bought a brand new Netgear Nighthawk 1000 Xr

Getting in my router's address was impossible. Talking about routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1. 

Tried installing the automatic  firmware upgrade which tried to give me .64. It had huge problems didnt load anything then foubd out the newest in netgear page was. 68 firmware and it wasnt working more than 4-5 times. Then downgraded to 1.44 and then upgraded it to 1.62 and managed to have it running, afraid to even touch it further now. But, 

It struggles. Takes ages to switch from page to page more than 5-6 seconds for example to go from settings to qos or geo. Also it keeps giving me many times json error and another error and doesnt load the rapps. Usually to resolve this i have to close my browser and reopen. Tried all browser types. Chrome, firefox, edge etc. Have removed adblock, installed firmware 100 times through the page. What helped me manage to get something working was when i accidentally enabled ap mode. Which changed its address to 192.168.1.63. That made it start working with a lot of lag but at least basic functionality. Ofc i removed ap mode immediately after. 

Also i had another issue with the connection. 

I bought it to stop using my isp Speedport 2 router. I have fiber to the home which gives me a square box with fiber cable which i connect to an ont device. This ont provides an ethernet which i used to connect to my old router on the internet port. I did the same with my Xr1000 and the internet would stay red. I provided the necessary username and password from my Isp and set the ppoe option but it would not connect. So i had my old one connected again and then connected xr 1000 through lan to be able to use it. Am i missing something? Is it not able to give me internet through ont? 

Last but not least i bought it to get rid of my bufferbloat. Had +450-600ms uploaded latency with the old router. But my download latency was only +20. Idle latency is 12ms. My connection is 100mbps download and 10 mbps upload. Through these connections and playing with the settings auto choose mode i managed to bring it down to 120-140 which is an improvement but barely a c instead of an a+ on waveform.com based on the price which i expected. How could i lower it? 

Is the xr1000 v2 much better so that i should return it and get a new one? I was looking for a router to replace my old one(didnt manage that) wanted mainly to get rid of bufferbloat completely based on the price(from f i barely went to c) and the net duma page as glorious as it seemed that made me choose it is constantly having errors which make it keep loading and is superlaggy. Which is too sad for a 400euro router... 

Please help... 😢 

@FuriousIf your upgrading from firmware's it best to hard reset and as for the interference it will initially take 5-10 seconds to load that just the design of the UI it also best to use incognito when accessing the interference as it to not save cache and cause issues etc as for the buffer bloat the XR models have not gotten the DPI update so it not going to prioritize to it best of it abilities currently. Though you should be able to get some results using connection benchmark if you can't get accurate results using buffer bloat site....

The XR1000V2 is somewhat inferior plus it missing some features currently so not worth it till the update gets released in my opinion not major difference there just some components slightly changed.

@FuriousShould be on advanced settings the option on the bottom VLAN/BRIDGE also you might need another router to handle ppoe if you use that sort of protocol as of currently there not capable of handling it properly just a heads up since it been a complaint for ages.

Hi

You will not have any difference in throughput using pppoe on such a low speed. The XR1000 is more powerful than the R2.
Wait for Frazer to return regarding bypassing your ISP router.

But to keep it simple when initializing the XR you have the choice between different types of connection DHCP, pppoe...
Just take the one that fits
Concerning the configuration of the Vlan tag, you must also be asked during the initial configuration!

• Administrators

Are you using Armor by any chance? That can significantly slow down the interface. Also it sounds like you may be using/forcing a connection to the interface with HTTPS. Use HTTP instead and it'll be much faster.

You can use it direct to the ONT if you wish to, as you mentioned you'll need to enter PPPoE and VLAN into the section mentioned above, once all set give the router a reboot from the interface and you should get a connection after that. I personally would suggest keeping your other router to handle all that though as QoS won't work optimally with PPPoE/VLAN - it's something we're working on.

What QoS settings are you using currently? Can you provide a screenshot of the page? Those third party can be inaccurate and Traffic Prioritization can affect the results they produce.

There is no difference between the XR1000 v1 & v2 so you don't need the v2.

My god! I switched from https to http and it now loads nice and easy. Saved the day. Is there an automatic way to have all sites enter http and not have to type it manually whenever it says not secure?
Exactly, yes i managed to make it work. Apparently to manage to connect to the internet i had to use VLAN = number to make my isp connect.
Qos was not working for upload though only on download and that was a deal breaker for me so i reconnected to my old router. But its terrible that i have to use another device just for that to work. At least now im able to access easier the settings. I still get the rapp is taking longer than expected press ok message on auto settings.
I have a PC and a PS5. I would like to have full priority on any gaming device. If you think i need to change any of the settings to see better results i would appreciate some info.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Also having another issue. I connect a wifi extender to my XR1000 to get Wireless internet to another 2 computers. However when i speedtest their computers they dont follow the qos antibufferbloat restrictions which lower the ping on upload. Only on download they do...

And another issue i am having. When i try to do the auto test for limiting bandwidth for better bufferbloat, i keep getting test successfull in a matter of seconds and it is obvious that it doesnt do the tests like in other occations and sets limits to 100% all around. How do i fix this?

• Administrators

Forget about the Auto Setup, it's something we are still improving upon so it doesn't always give the best results. We generally suggest around 70% for download & upload as a starting point and then adjust it from there depending on your experience to find the value that works best for you. What is the model of the WiFi extender and just to clarify, the XR isn't handling VLAN or PPPoE now?

The Xr1000 is connected to my Speedport router which is handling the ppoe now. With 70% on each i had worse results. With less it worked a little better.
What about the page i visit? Is there a difference if i login to 192.168.1.X or routerlogin.net?
Does traffic prioritization work together with congestion control for better results?
What are the appropriate advanced settings?
My PS5 as you can see i have set to games Console but for my PC(a lot of games but not the ones listed) how do i prioritize that? which is the right option to choose? 
Also does bandwidth allocation have much to offer?

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Furious said:

The Xr1000 is connected to my Speedport router which is handling the ppoe now. With 70% on each i had worse results. With less it worked a little better.
What about the page i visit? Is there a difference if i login to 192.168.1.X or routerlogin.net?
Does traffic prioritization work together with congestion control for better results?
What are the appropriate advanced settings?
My PS5 as you can see i have set to games Console but for my PC(a lot of games but not the ones listed) how do i prioritize that? which is the right option to choose? 
Also does bandwidth allocation have much to offer?

1. Okay great so continue reducing the percentages until you find what works best for you.
  2. No difference in the way you access
  3. Yes both should be used together for the best experience
  4. Could you clarify what advanced settings you're referring to?
  5. You can use DumaOS Classified Games or also add it with the Games Console service
  6. Yes but only in specific cases where you need to ensure a device/application gets a certain amount of bandwidth. In most cases I recommend leaving it at the default settings

The advanced settings in the traffic prioritization ----> Device(Desktop) ----->Basic or Advanced(Games Console is a valid choice for pc?) . To be more exact it has some options, Destination port, protocol etc. Most of the games i play are not available in basic. Thats why i need the advanced settings explained.
Also, I have a tp link extender(RE200) device which is connected wirelessly to my router to give access to two other computers. However both dont follow the qos upload limits assigned to get a better ping. Instead they use maximum upload speed. Why is that and how do i fix it.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Furious said:

The advanced settings in the traffic prioritization ----> Device(Desktop) ----->Basic or Advanced(Games Console is a valid choice for pc?) . To be more exact it has some options, Destination port, protocol etc. Most of the games i play are not available in basic. Thats why i need the advanced settings explained.
Also, I have a tp link extender(RE200) device which is connected wirelessly to my router to give access to two other computers. However both dont follow the qos upload limits assigned to get a better ping. Instead they use maximum upload speed. Why is that and how do i fix it.

Yes you can choose the Basic > Games Console option for PC and that will prioritize all your games. Otherwise with the Advanced Setup you would need to look up the ports the game uses and make multiple rules to account for them - like you would if you were going to port forward.

How did you set the Upload limits, via Bandwidth Allocation or using Congestion Control?

• Administrators

Could you take a screenshot of the QoS page, Internet Setup page and System Information page please?

What do you mean by "Also why many times my router admin page changes location"?

Are you definitely still accessing the interface via HTTP?