Pppoe vs dhcp

Hello random bit of info any input from the devs/admin.

Plusnet pppoe I had terrible upload ping around 100 to 150ms and jumping up and back down on a 300mb down 50mb up

I recently went to talktalk 900mb down 100mb up and now have a stable 30ms download ping and 24 to 27ms upload ping on speedtest.

In the uk all connections basically run through the same line apart from newer gigaclear and virgin media.

I went with talktalk as only sky and talktalk use dhcp and most other fttp is pppoe just for the 1500mtu being set instead of it being 1492. (Peace of mind)

But 1. Why is upload ping so bad on plusnet pppoe with all same equipment can a provider really have such bad upload ping.

2. I've noticed that upnp is operating properly for the first time ever opening port 3074 when loading up cod. Upnp has never opened any gaming ports other than the 9308 port for the playstation 5. Is this because dhcp works better than pppoe or because its not behind an email password it runs better I have no idea.

Any input would be great

50 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's really hard to say, there a lot of variables, could be less people are using TalkTalk in your area for example. In regards to PPPoE the R2 definitely works better when it isn't being used.

Yeah I guess so. I'm using the xr500 without plusnet being dhcp it's hard to judge the 2 properly but Definitely notice upnp opening port 3074 for the first time ever. And upload ping underload is stable 27ms without qos. But on plusnet upload was through the roof 

• Administrators

I mean, I think not having to login to use the internet would help and depending on how you had that set on the XR it may have logged out/in frequently. I feel like in the UK upload seems to be more of an afterthought, you rarely ever see symmetrical download/upload speeds for example. 

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I mean, I think not having to login to use the internet would help and depending on how you had that set on the XR it may have logged out/in frequently. I feel like in the UK upload seems to be more of an afterthought, you rarely ever see symmetrical download/upload speeds for example. 

Yeah I don't get why the 900mb line still only gets 100mb up USA get 1gb down and up

the question of flow rates on coaxial is more due to a question of docsis standard...
HFC FTTB FTTLa and so many orders, it all depends on where the optical fiber stops, if there is an amplifier...
ISPs tend to favor the installation of FTTH in areas still with ADSL and to renovate coaxial for areas already equipped!
FTTH does not suffer from loss of speed over long distances unlike coaxial or copper!

Here is a link to explain the docsis standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS