Unable to get into a game using Geo-Filter

Kaveman42

As the title states, it is almost impossible for me to get into games using Geo-Filtering. The game searches for a match under <53 ping but never changes or connects to a game. I've tried resetting the router already. My PC is setup in NetDuma as a PS5 with a static IP.

image.png

@Kaveman42That because you have your radius set in an area were there only the local host server of the game not the dedicated servers to play those games ...also trying to change locations without a vpn won't connect you to a far away server. If your going to use the radius feature you need to know were the servers are located bud...to simplify things just use ping heat map to make an estimate were low ping servers are and increase your radius upon that estimation you can also boot the game and look at the map and it'll tell you were some servers are for a few seconds.

You can also just use ping assist by itself by putting the radius in the ocean were there nothing which is what I use however you need to make proper adjustment based on the servers ping so it best to have it slightly higher for an example on ping heat map it might say that the servers are 20ms just increase your ping assist to 30 etc

For example, based on what you instructed. I need to VPN to Washington and set the Filter to Washington as well? Based on the two images I posted, is it correct that Washington has a local host server and dedicated server?

image.thumb.png.e297f28eb853ac5e88d7dc58310e9887.png

5 hours ago, Kaveman42 said:

As the title states, it is almost impossible for me to get into games using Geo-Filtering. The game searches for a match under <53 ping but never changes or connects to a game. I've tried resetting the router already. My PC is setup in NetDuma as a PS5 with a static IP.

image.png

with a geo filter this tight it could take some time

4 hours ago, Kaveman42 said:

For example, based on what you instructed. I need to VPN to Washington and set the Filter to Washington as well? Based on the two images I posted, is it correct that Washington has a local host server and dedicated server?

image.thumb.png.e297f28eb853ac5e88d7dc58310e9887.png

there's 2 Brazil servers, one of them is like the south Africa server you see at the bottom of Africa, they are on closed networks. Only way to connect to them is to have same ip and be on their network.

make sure when you change geo location the game is closed and you clear the saved game data and profile for COD then launch the game, if you dont it usually does not change your geo location and you will never connect.

i have seen it take up to 30 minutes to connect if you live far away from where you have your geo location pin set to so be patient if you want to connect faster use a vpn

Thanks I'll give it a shot tonight. I tried what Darkness mentioned about setting my location in the ocean then making the Ping Assist 30ms, that seems to find matches quick but would this still include SBMM?

4 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

with a geo filter this tight it could take some time

there's 2 Brazil servers, one of them is like the south Africa server you see at the bottom of Africa, they are on closed networks. Only way to connect to them is to have same ip and be on their network.

make sure when you change geo location the game is closed and you clear the saved game data and profile for COD then launch the game, if you dont it usually does not change your geo location and you will never connect.

i have seen it take up to 30 minutes to connect if you live far away from where you have your geo location pin set to so be patient if you want to connect faster use a vpn

Which files should I delete? I'm assuming this is one of them, whats the others?

C:\Users\kave\Documents\Call of Duty\players\cod22\390712752\savegame.svg

@Kaveman42SBMM is something that can in theory be negated but not rid of that just do to the fact it based on your KD ratio and in the future it’ll probably be worst so who knows what awaits some use vpns and some work from what I’ve heard however I don’t step that low to game…If a game sucks it just sucks and sbmm is ruining most modern games plus your basically beta testing for the majority of the time will being spammed with micro transactions unlike Baldur's Gate 3 and elden ring and so on that my personal opinion whatever suits npcs nowadays that defend companies that fist them all day.

10 hours ago, Kaveman42 said:

Which files should I delete? I'm assuming this is one of them, whats the others?

C:\Users\kave\Documents\Call of Duty\players\cod22\390712752\savegame.svg

Clearing Cache and Deleting Files on a PlayStation, Xbox, or PC (activision.com)

13 hours ago, Kaveman42 said:

Thanks I'll give it a shot tonight. I tried what Darkness mentioned about setting my location in the ocean then making the Ping Assist 30ms, that seems to find matches quick but would this still include SBMM?

whats the goal?

@TODDzillaInLAI have nothing special no doubt they're bots...I don't personally enjoy that though whatever suits the beholder I just hate getting bombarded by 3+KD players in the opposite team will giving me a team of bots and expecting me to win will always being the one in the top of leader board. I ain't touch MW ever since I bought it was really a waste of money

My overall goal is to improve latency, which I think setting my location in the ocean and using Ping Assist seems to have helped. I use to keep getting put in 70+ ping lobbies where I put clips into people and the kill cam says I do like 5 damage and they shred me in a fraction of a second after being peppered for a couple seconds by me. On occasion, I would like to try playing in a bot lobby. Some nights SBMM just keeps putting me with sweaty controller players and it's almost impossible to win 50/50 fights on a 70 ping server. It would be nice to unwind with a bot lobby once in a while or use non-Meta guns.

I’m in the same boat. When playing wz ranked during the day and night I get 60ms latency. Around 3am I get 22 latency. I’m located NorCal. 

first question.. are ranked servers and pubs played on the same servers?

second question.. why can I not connect to closest server like 3am during the day for 20 latency. I’ve rebooted my router and changed my pc to PlayStation, had polygon mode cover half the US favoring the west side. I’ve also put in the ocean and just used ping assist. 

either way when using geo filter I don’t find a game. Just sits there and never finds a match. 

anything I’m missing? 

whenever I play normal BR or resurgence latency is amazing. Not the case in ranked lobbies. Why? Only 3am I get 20ms ranked lobbies

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Ado said:

I’m in the same boat. When playing wz ranked during the day and night I get 60ms latency. Around 3am I get 22 latency. I’m located NorCal. 

second question.. why can I not connect to closest server like 3am during the day for 20 latency. I’ve rebooted my router and changed my pc to PlayStation, had polygon mode cover half the US favoring the west side. I’ve also put in the ocean and just used ping assist. 

either way when using geo filter I don’t find a game. Just sits there and never finds a match. 

anything I’m missing?

whenever I play normal BR or resurgence latency is amazing. Not the case in ranked lobbies. Why? Only 3am I get 20ms ranked lobbies

That sounds like congestion on your ISP network then or the game is trying to force you to further away servers as closer ones are overloaded. Can you provide a screenshot of your Geo-Filter page please?

On 8/17/2023 at 12:04 PM, DARKNESS said:

@TODDzillaInLAI have nothing special no doubt they're bots...I don't personally enjoy that though whatever suits the beholder I just hate getting bombarded by 3+KD players in the opposite team will giving me a team of bots and expecting me to win will always being the one in the top of leader board. I ain't touch MW ever since I bought it was really a waste of money

those high kd's are not sometimes that skilled, the majority of them barely play and have a low kill count and they cater to there kd to keep it high, once they start going negative in a game they will dashboard. my KD is a 1.4 in MP but i have Orion on every gun and i actually have the weapon grand master challenge completed (1000 kills with every weapon in the game after Orion camo was unlocked, so getting 1000 kills with launchers and knifes and all those really bad guns in the game wrecks your kd but im almost at 100k kills

On 8/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, Kaveman42 said:

My overall goal is to improve latency, which I think setting my location in the ocean and using Ping Assist seems to have helped

if you want to improve latency then play as close as possible to the local server in your area

I use to keep getting put in 70+ ping lobbies where I put clips into people and the kill cam says I do like 5 damage and they shred me in a fraction of a second after being peppered for a couple seconds by me.

what the videos i posted im getting 2 to 3 ping and melting people. one of the videos the dude is lighting me up and i still won the gunfight

On occasion, I would like to try playing in a bot lobby. Some nights SBMM just keeps putting me with sweaty controller players and it's almost impossible to win 50/50 fights on a 70 ping server. It would be nice to unwind with a bot lobby once in a while or use non-Meta guns.

watch my youtube videos i show how to get real bot lobbies if thats what you are looking for. 70 ping and your 50/50 fights is connection issue on your side. The LCE handicaps you the faster your internet connection is. Use QOS to dumb it down. how you are playing with the geo filter is why your getting these high pings and on top of it the game thinks your are alot father then where you really are so  your getting the spongy bullet effect people are taking about, you are taking a L all the way around because of your settings

19 hours ago, Ado said:

Definitely network congestion try using a different DNS alsoduring during different times of the day / night you got more people playing then others  so if your in norcal and your not using a geo filter more then likely its putting you in Ohio / Texas or Illinois server

19 hours ago, Ado said:

Yes, if you use your geo map and you connect to a server you can see the ip, then next game can have the same location but different ip, usually these servers are in school or big business so some locations can have over 100 different ip addresses depending on how many servers are running in that location.

19 hours ago, Ado said:

anything I’m missing? 

cause you do not have the geo filter set up correctly. when you load up the game, the game logs your geo location. so when you enable your geo filter to a different place from where you live the game is trying to figure out what is going on why it takes for ever to find a game sometimes. Clear your save game data and profile set your geo location then launch the game

19 hours ago, Ado said:

Less people on so your prob getting put in a cali server somewhere or in Washington, when your in a lobby you like use your geo filter and save the address to your list, then use you geo filter to keep looking you into that server group.

14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That sounds like congestion on your ISP network then or the game is trying to force you to further away servers as closer ones are overloaded. Can you provide a screenshot of your Geo-Filter page please?

Fraser: This was the ping assist I tried.

Screenshot2023-08-18221901.thumb.png.3bd9b081b603a5935852dd3f8c952911.png

This is the regular geo-filter I tried to connect to just California servers where I'm located for the best ping in Ranked servers when it would never find a match.

Screenshot2023-08-18222028.thumb.png.ca7fcc7c2cc57ccb32ce365637980ee7.png

These were the option pane settings for the one above.

Screenshot2023-08-18222127.thumb.png.6ce81d00ecb4c271077dbb879329e7e7.png

2 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

Definitely network congestion try using a different DNS alsoduring during different times of the day / night you got more people playing then others  so if your in norcal and your not using a geo filter more then likely its putting you in Ohio / Texas or Illinois server

I was using cloudflare. I will try google. I haven't been able to connect to match at all with any of the above geo-filters I set. With it off, it connects to closest server just fine with excellent ping. When I switch to ranked - always 60ms - 50ms until 3am. I agree with what your saying, just odd.

3 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

cause you do not have the geo filter set up correctly. when you load up the game, the game logs your geo location. so when you enable your geo filter to a different place from where you live the game is trying to figure out what is going on why it takes for ever to find a game sometimes. Clear your save game data and profile set your geo location then launch the game

How should I set it up? I haven't set it anywhere else other than where I live. I tried ping assist also which instructs you to put it in the middle of the ocean so it solely relies on finding nearest server with ping near ping assist threshold. When you say clear game data and profile are you talking about the just the  blizzard folder? I've also tried that.

3 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

Less people on so your prob getting put in a cali server somewhere or in Washington, when your in a lobby you like use your geo filter and save the address to your list, then use you geo filter to keep looking you into that server group.

Got it. Do I need to be in a ranked match thats favorable ping to save or can I do this in pub servers?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Ado said:

Fraser: This was the ping assist I tried.

This is the regular geo-filter I tried to connect to just California servers where I'm located for the best ping in Ranked servers when it would never find a match.

These were the option pane settings for the one above.

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works better.

@AdoIf your playing ranked it going to take way longer and sometimes the ping assist settings will have to be higher do to the fact that ranked servers are typically in the middle west/EU and so high ping is inevitable if you don't live next to that area. Number one reason I don't play ranked unless I am playing Apex and that playing around 80-100ms which is BS by all means but i guess apex is too poor to afford any NA ranked servers if your a pred+player which is why the way you play the game is changed. To clarify they do have NA servers but that only if your a beginner such as gold/platinum after that your forced to que in the middle west/EU

Similar to fortnite now all the ranked servers are being forced in the middle east were all this guys are moving there to get the upper advantage cringy as hell when they're used to be several ranked servers in all regions in games but companies want to unite every server to pay less which is why competitive e-sports is becoming lame were everybody needs to be living in a certain area to get the upper advantage and if not change the they're play style do to high ping.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Also seem to be having issues recently on PC. I see in many threads this advice: "Change device type in device manager to PlayStation."

I have tried everything (I think) to figure out how to do that, but don't see such an option?!

Whenever I go to filter my device it then asks me to select a game. Selecting "Call of Duty (PC only)" results in the filtering option to be disabled. Selecting just "Call of Duty" results in the game not connecting to the server and just throwing me back out to desktop (won't load the game).

I'm lost. I used to use this feature in Warzone 1 all the time. No idea what changed.

Thanks for any help.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, honeynet1 said:

Hey,

Also seem to be having issues recently on PC. I see in many threads this advice: "Change device type in device manager to PlayStation."

I have tried everything (I think) to figure out how to do that, but don't see such an option?!

Whenever I go to filter my device it then asks me to select a game. Selecting "Call of Duty (PC only)" results in the filtering option to be disabled. Selecting just "Call of Duty" results in the game not connecting to the server and just throwing me back out to desktop (won't load the game).

I'm lost. I used to use this feature in Warzone 1 all the time. No idea what changed.

Thanks for any help.

Delete it from the Geo-Filter, go to the Device Manager and click on your device, then on the window that appears you can change the device type from there and then you can re-add it to the Geo-Filter with the manual option.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Delete it from the Geo-Filter, go to the Device Manager and click on your device, then on the window that appears you can change the device type from there and then you can re-add it to the Geo-Filter with the manual option.

I'm sorry, but I really can't figure this out. Device Manager opens a bunch of hardware lines (display adapter, USB, sound, etc.). What do you mean by "click on your device"? I don't get any window... I'm lost. Sorry. Can anyone attach images maybe of what I'm missing?

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, honeynet1 said:

I'm sorry, but I really can't figure this out. Device Manager opens a bunch of hardware lines (display adapter, USB, sound, etc.). What do you mean by "click on your device"? I don't get any window... I'm lost. Sorry. Can anyone attach images maybe of what I'm missing?

Ah I see what you're doing, not the Device Manager on your PC, the Device Manager on the router interface