Another day, another problem with XR1000

I had notice the electricity would be out for a few hours today so shut the router down that had been working fine. 
Turned it back, can’t connect to it on the SSID that I had this morning and all the connections physically aren’t getting any connection neither. 
How can a router be so unreliable, this has has happened a couple of times this year already. I’m now going to have to go through the palaver of resetting it and having to set it all up again. It’s unbelievable

Ok so unplugged all connections into the router and rebooted and it allowed me to log in. Some devices could connect wirelessly, some not but after 10 mins or so most have connected. 
However, all physical connections via cat5 remain disconnected, as in not picking up an IP address at all? Anything that I can try?

Hi !

This can happen if you have a primary router upstream of the Duma, after a power outage the best is either to wait for it to retrieve an ip address via the XR's DHCP or simply restart them electrically after the XR is reachable!

Still having issues with a number of devices. Ie my phone isn’t connected whilst standing next to the router, nor is my sons PlayStation 4 that is plugged into it. 

The PC in the room however is connected wirelessly. 

rebooted a number of times already. 

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, andybtsn said:

Still having issues with a number of devices. Ie my phone isn’t connected whilst standing next to the router, nor is my sons PlayStation 4 that is plugged into it. 

The PC in the room however is connected wirelessly. 

rebooted a number of times already. 

Have you set static IPs on those devices or disabled DHCP on the router at all?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you set static IPs on those devices or disabled DHCP on the router at all?

Nope to both. The router is completely default settings, eventually it all started working.

However I needed to reboot the router tonight, same issues, nothing is connecting back. rebooted twice to no avail. No idea what to do other than factory reset it…again. Is there anything I can look for that confirms the thing is broken? It’s ridiculous that I am in fear of a reboot of a router!!!

Finally got on the router. Had to go via routerlogin.net as the thing and managed to factory reset itself?!! So I have internet again. 

what can I do about this though as it’s another hour of my life wasted on this thing 

• Administrators

I suspect from what you have said that you're unplugging the router to reboot it which could be causing the problem. Setup the router again, change any settings you want to then reboot the router from the interface and wait a few minutes before accessing. This acts as a hard save so that if/when you unplug it from power it won't reset itself/lose settings and devices should reconnect normally. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 11:37 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I suspect from what you have said that you're unplugging the router to reboot it which could be causing the problem. Setup the router again, change any settings you want to then reboot the router from the interface and wait a few minutes before accessing. This acts as a hard save so that if/when you unplug it from power it won't reset itself/lose settings and devices should reconnect normally. 

Hi Fraser. That’s not the case, I would never restart that way. Obviously if we have a power cut that would be the only way it would happen but that doesn’t happen often. 
I understand the need to wait for the router to sync with the modem and so for. 

tonight we lost our internet, checked the router and noticed the DSL light was red, I rebooted the router (via the rear button!) no joy. Turns out the router had reset itself again!! What can I do get it replaced as I’ve had enough and it’s happened enough times now to confirm it’s not a one off and clearly faulty. Bought 19/01/2022 from box. 
please advise 

• Administrators

It's possible it's losing power on its own, do you have a wall outlet you can plug it directly into or another outlet to try? If that doesn't help do you have a spare power adapter you can use?

You would have to contact Netgear/the retailer you purchased from about that, we're just the software partner so can't advise on that. I suspect though given the date of purchase that you may be out of warranty.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's possible it's losing power on its own, do you have a wall outlet you can plug it directly into or another outlet to try? If that doesn't help do you have a spare power adapter you can use?

You would have to contact Netgear/the retailer you purchased from about that, we're just the software partner so can't advise on that. I suspect though given the date of purchase that you may be out of warranty.

If it were losing power, it would be the only device in the house doing so; I cannot see it at all. I don't have an alternative power connector, no. Also, it literally resets itself from restarts so clearly, the software or hardware is buggered.

I have contacted the retailer, no idea about their warranty. I assume it will be out of it and they'll tell me to get in touch with the maker of the product...  a router that is 1 year and a half years old and cost over £250 it really is a crime to be experiencing this many issues.

• Administrators

When it factory resets on its own that is usually an indication of a power issue, usually connected to a power extender that multiple other devices are also connected to, or inconsistent power from an outlet or a faulty power adapter. Try direct/other outlets and see if that helps please.