Anyone get geolocate to work for MW3

Nuschler22

Since xbox is fixing the servers, I'm sure many are playing the older games again. It's been a lot of fun. 

However, for MW3, which really started the extreme lag compensation issues that preceded the even worse SBMM system, I can't seem to get geolocate to work. 

Trying by location or ping level, it doesn't work at all. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

If there could be a remaster of MW3 with FOV, clearly I'm taking it and raising my RD clan! (the Pro Report asset ... hihi) Unfortunately, the last times I went back to multiplayer it was a niche hack like BO2 because of cross gen (xbox)

What does the radius have to do with geolocate not working? 

I'm getting plenty of games, it's just not restricting the search at all. 

I'm getting 40 plus good games in my area, but it keeps searching well outside the radius. And restricting  by latency doesn't work at all. 

Just very sick of this router never working as intended, which seems to be the vast majority of the time. 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Nuschler22 said:

What does the radius have to do with geolocate not working? 

I'm getting plenty of games, it's just not restricting the search at all. 

I'm getting 40 plus good games in my area, but it keeps searching well outside the radius. And restricting  by latency doesn't work at all. 

Just very sick of this router never working as intended, which seems to be the vast majority of the time. 

You didn't provide much information of what the actual issue was, what do you mean it keeps searching outside, the game won't allow a connection from inside the radius?

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works.

Geo locate, in no way, works with MW3. Not to be glib, butI'm not sure what other information is needed. 

The game seaeches from lower latency to higher and shows you the latency it's currently searching. 

I'm in the US, and I have the Geo locate set to the western half of the US. From my location, I know that this area is about 50 to 60 ms of latency in my search area.  From my location, I know the usual the max latency for anywhere in the US is between 75 (typical) to 100 (atypical) ms at most. 

The game commonly searches well past the location and will connect me with games far outside the set get locate area which I can see when it connects. 

Typically, when it's working, it will only search in the lower latency areas and max out at my set geo locate area or ping. I've tried using latency only searches set to 75 ms both with my normal geo locate area and the area set to 0 miles, which has worked in the past. 

But neither the locate or ping work at all. 

I've also tried to test setting my location to a different area (which can help with really noticeable lag compensation and to test that geo locate is working properly). When I do, for example, put myself in Australia, the search begins in that area (175 to 200 ms) and I connect to people in that area. But it doesn't work at all with any of the older CoD games including MW3. 

I have strict set so it shouldn't be finding me games outside the area. 

I tried the above instructions and it still doesn't work. 

If I set the geolocate to my preferred area before entering the game, about half the time it says I'm not connected to xbox live. But when I do connect, it still doesn't work. 

To get it to connect to xbox live reliably, I have to maximize the area on the geolocate. When I reach the "find march" area, I reduce it to my preferred area, but it still doesn't work. 

The games are all peer to peer.  When the game searches, it shows the peers often as servers.  

Also, when it's searching, everyone outside the area shows like it normally would when it's working correctly by showing they aren't allowed to connect. However, it still connects to them anyway despite showing they are blocked. 

I'm done. 

Sick of this not working. Ever. 

Leaving reviews and filing a complaint with the BBB for fraud. It's been years of it not working as advertised. Having to constantly jump through hoops to get something to work and it's still never giving a decent connection is ludicrous. I have better games just hooking up modem to console. 

My fault for buying a second one of these. 

Feel free to close my forum account. 

Its pretty obvious that you guys don't read what people write anyway. I clearly stated Xbox and your instructions were either generic and copy and pasted or oblivious to what my statement actually said. 

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Nuschler22 said:

I tried the above instructions and it still doesn't work. 

If I set the geolocate to my preferred area before entering the game, about half the time it says I'm not connected to xbox live. But when I do connect, it still doesn't work. 

To get it to connect to xbox live reliably, I have to maximize the area on the geolocate. When I reach the "find march" area, I reduce it to my preferred area, but it still doesn't work. 

The games are all peer to peer.  When the game searches, it shows the peers often as servers.  

Also, when it's searching, everyone outside the area shows like it normally would when it's working correctly by showing they aren't allowed to connect. However, it still connects to them anyway despite showing they are blocked. 

If you're actually seeing it connect outside your radius then something isn't right, if you can provide a screenshot of the Geo-Filter page showing when that happens that will tell me more about what is happening. If it's not always connecting to live then it indicates a server needs to be whitelisted which may help overall. It's likely the game is using servers but they're misclassified as peers on the map. 

Also, it's a 12 year old game, it pre-dates us even launching our first product so there won't have ever been a time in which we would have actively tested the game/explicitly supported it which is probably why you're encountering issues, we know most CoD games work the same from the time we launched to now but can't be certain it's the case before then. We generally keep active support for the current/last ~2 or so games as that's what people are most likely playing. 

I get your frustration but we've never supported that specific game so it's unlikely to work right away, if you provide the screenshot from the first paragraph we can see what we can do. My instructions are a copy/paste for the specific issue you're having, that's why it says if on PC, otherwise you can ignore it. 

No thanks. I'm done tyring to get this to work. 

Its never worked right even with supported products.  It's never helped with any game I've played with it and I'm done pretending it will ever help with any game I play. 

Its always the users fault somehow. Resync, reset, use this setting instead of that one. 

And the games always show no difference in hit detection, be it a console or PC game. 

Take care. 

On 8/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Totally understand that, would you like to continue trouble shooting this issue?

I don't think anything is working, but thanks.  As I said in a reply to you in another topic, the only success I'm having is bypassing the router entirely and going modem to console.  It has way to many errors including not even showing Im on xbox live playing older games though the XBX home screen is fine, strict nat, booted from games, etc.