Next Netduma R3 Needs to have 2,5gbps ports WAN and atleast 1 2,5gps ports LAN + 1Gbps ports

• Administrators

It's certainly not common place at the moment to have connections that fast, for example in the UK where we are based we're only just starting to see connections above 1Gbps but not above 2Gbps. This would all significantly increase the price of the router and we like to keep it at an affordable level so that a lot of people can experience DumaOS. We're certainly not opposed to it and maybe we'll have a higher spec and lower spec router in the future but we are a software company so things like this will take time. 

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's certainly not common place at the moment to have connections that fast, for example in the UK where we are based we're only just starting to see connections above 1Gbps but not above 2Gbps. This would all significantly increase the price of the router and we like to keep it at an affordable level so that a lot of people can experience DumaOS. We're certainly not opposed to it and maybe we'll have a higher spec and lower spec router in the future but we are a software company so things like this will take time. 

That would be nice for both audiences that either want to pay a premium for better hardware or be on a budget and still keep the same software support however you would need to find a chip set that would have similarities so there wouldn't be much of an issue passing the software upon. So it not like one get priority over the other and has delays do being too much of a difference in code and clearly that has been an issue with netgear routers...

On 7/17/2023 at 4:06 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Of course I can't speak for everyone but where I'm From but if you look at the stats of my country (Italy) compared to the rest of the World you get a better picture. Right now they are easily selling 2.5 GBPS connection as basic package for 19.99€

So It would make Sense to Make Netduma R3, a premium product, already 2.5 gbps proof for those who invest those money in gaming, Otherwise Wich netgear router supports DumaOS and has atleast 1x 2.5gbps lan port?

Country Broadband Speed Mobile Speed
Monaco 261.82  
Singapore 255.83 105.01
Hong Kong 254.7 83.58
Romania 232.17 59.67
Switzerland 229.96 135.7
Denmark 227.91 112.03
Thailand 225.17 56.9
Chile 217.6 21.23
France 214.04 86.51
South Korea 212.57 202.61
Hungary 210.55 60.16
Liechtenstein 204.78  
United States 203.81 110.07
Spain 201.47 61.62
China 196.57 165.38
United Arab Emirates 189.07 238.06
Canada 183.81 95.78
Macau 178.9 62.31
Japan 178.76 69.02
Sweden 174.9 103.08
Luxembourg 172.05 116.76
Andorra 171.44  
New Zealand 170.51 75.91
Norway 168.25 177.72
Netherlands 165 106.98
Israel 162.66 48.3
Portugal 162.55 59.91
Poland 156.33 57.23
Moldova 154.56 42.99
Taiwan 152.01 95.51
Kuwait 149.37 157.18
Lithuania 147.05 66.25
Malta 144.06 70.73
Panama 137.38 20.44
Germany 136.66 83.06
Latvia 135.22 50.07
Finland 135.05 88.23
Belgium 125.12 69.76
Ireland 122.55 62.66
San Marino 121.4  
Slovenia 115.61 74.84
Slovakia 115.11 56.01
Qatar 113.88 172.18
Brazil 113.09 33.92
Barbados 109.41  
Malaysia 107.55 31.34
Italy 104.09 55.41
United Kingdom 102.24 86.56
Russia 95.96 28.99
Saudi Arabia 94.64 155.97

• Administrators

I mean the table there does seem to show the average speeds across the world still aren't that high so only a small amount of people would benefit, if a particular country made up the majority of our sales and had those kind of speeds readily available it would make sense but I don't think we're at that stage yet. Closest would be the XR700 but it's no longer made so would have to be bought second hand. Not ruling it out, just right now I don't think that's our focus, we generally let Netgear do the big hardware and we focus on the software.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I mean the table there does seem to show the average speeds across the world still aren't that high so only a small amount of people would benefit, if a particular country made up the majority of our sales and had those kind of speeds readily available it would make sense but I don't think we're at that stage yet. Closest would be the XR700 but it's no longer made so would have to be bought second hand. Not ruling it out, just right now I don't think that's our focus, we generally let Netgear do the big hardware and we focus on the software.

People who invest 200€ in a router are most probably people who are already connected to FTTH rather than FTTC. Just launch a small survey, you would be surprised how many people can afford a good pc and fiber connection for gaming. 

Me and you are just numbers. Big cities have the fiber, while small places don't. I don't live in a big city but Europe has approved founds to connect more people to the fiber and 2,5gbps plans are more and more common as the same price as Vdsl connections because. How long this router has been out? 2-3 years? The next one definitely need a better wifi (r2 is garbage) and a 2.5gbps port would make the product future proof rather than already obsolete when it comes out. At this point I would rather pay for a Netgear with Dumaos so I can have a powerful router with dumaos features... 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mostwest said:

People who invest 200€ in a router are most probably people who are already connected to FTTH rather than FTTC. Just launch a small survey, you would be surprised how many people can afford a good pc and fiber connection for gaming. 

Me and you are just numbers. Big cities have the fiber, while small places don't. I don't live in a big city but Europe has approved founds to connect more people to the fiber and 2,5gbps plans are more and more common as the same price as Vdsl connections because. How long this router has been out? 2-3 years? The next one definitely need a better wifi (r2 is garbage) and a 2.5gbps port would make the product future proof rather than already obsolete when it comes out. At this point I would rather pay for a Netgear with Dumaos so I can have a powerful router with dumaos features... 

Primarily the people who get the router are those with a lower speed connection as QoS can really help them, people with higher speeds tend to believe QoS isn't needed with higher speeds. It's needed less but can still be beneficial so I think there is more work to be done there to prove it's needed before investing into something like that. I do get your points and they are valid, manufacturing hardware is very expensive that's why for us just getting into that space (R1 used another router with our firmware loaded on, R2 was our first attempt at our own hardware) it's a tough balancing act. 

We do actually recommend those who care more about hardware to go with the XR range and those who care more about the software to go with the R2.

I don't know the price difference between an integrated switch on a 1G vs 2.5G router but just a 2.5G Wan would allow for better Wifi6 performance... 6E

Then there are a lot of hardward / softward constraints on the routers...

For example, my ISP router allows me to have 10G (8G in Gpon) in SFP+ (with an SFP+ compatible switch behind) but the integrated switch of the 4-port RJ45 ISP router only allows me to have 1G shared... (stupid)

Environment (OS) + speed, it's paid for... and it's very expensive!

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Primarily the people who get the router are those with a lower speed connection as QoS can really help them, people with higher speeds tend to believe QoS isn't needed with higher speeds. It's needed less but can still be beneficial so I think there is more work to be done there to prove it's needed before investing into something like that. I do get your points and they are valid, manufacturing hardware is very expensive that's why for us just getting into that space (R1 used another router with our firmware loaded on, R2 was our first attempt at our own hardware) it's a tough balancing act. 

We do actually recommend those who care more about hardware to go with the XR range and those who care more about the software to go with the R2.

Hi fraser

The problem is that netgear routers don't have updates so this is not a valid answer, I've had the router for 4 years and it seems to be working fine since beta rc13, 4 years for the router to work properly.... And I would be the first to buy an r3 with solid hardware and firmware. I'm even close to buying an r2 for the solid features of the software while the hardware is worse than the xr500 ... In my humble opinion buying a netgear router under dumaos is a big mistake..

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Locosano said:

Hi fraser

The problem is that netgear routers don't have updates so this is not a valid answer, I've had the router for 4 years and it seems to be working fine since beta rc13, 4 years for the router to work properly.... And I would be the first to buy an r3 with solid hardware and firmware. I'm even close to buying an r2 for the solid features of the software while the hardware is worse than the xr500 ... In my humble opinion buying a netgear router under dumaos is a big mistake..

As you know we've done the XR500 beta and we've started giving out a new beta to 700 users, 1000 users should see an update soon also but I see your point, the updates are slower.

it's not a "worldwide" standard (Vive la France hehe!) as shown in this table, but we'll go through it for sure! I can't wait to see a DumaOS router with a Wan SFP+ or RJ45 10G, and game consoles equipped too! For the moment except on PC (if the servers follow) it's still bottleneck unfortunately!

7 minutes ago, Fuzy said:
it's not a "worldwide" standard (Vive la France hehe!) as shown in this table, but we'll go through it for sure! I can't wait to see a DumaOS router with a Wan SFP+ or RJ45 10G, and game consoles equipped too! For the moment except on PC (if the servers follow) it's still bottleneck unfortunately!

the netgear xr700 already has a wan sfp+ it seems to me.

2 minutes ago, Nofear said:

Wifi AD "80" GHZ

Ok, donc même si le débit est en sfp"+", le débit reste limité en wifi, parcontre le switch intégré gère combien Gpbs en partagé ?

On 7/22/2023 at 8:26 AM, Fuzy said:

I don't know the price difference between an integrated switch on a 1G vs 2.5G router but just a 2.5G Wan would allow for better Wifi6 performance... 6E

Then there are a lot of hardward / softward constraints on the routers...

For example, my ISP router allows me to have 10G (8G in Gpon) in SFP+ (with an SFP+ compatible switch behind) but the integrated switch of the 4-port RJ45 ISP router only allows me to have 1G shared... (stupid)

Environment (OS) + speed, it's paid for... and it's very expensive!

Yeah the problem is that you are bound to 1 GB LAN ports wich is the bottleneck.

As far as Rules now atleast in Europe you can request ISP ONT or you can provide one yourself, so you can avoid the first part and the Router you can pick whatever, That's why I was pointing that 1x 2.5 gbps lan and 1x2,5gbps wan + 3x 1 gbbps would be already a very good improvement and step in the right direction.

Nobody expects R3 to have 10 G ports, but 2,5g seems more reasonable, for the wifi part if is not good enough I can keep using another the router as AP exactly like i'm doing right now. Not the most elegant solution but works way better than R2 wifi.  

I would totally ditch the wifi part in exchange of the 2,5gbps lan port

• 3 weeks later...

I personally use sfp for my wan on the xr700 and have other routers in AP mode to distribute WiFi (ax11000 WiFi 6 and c5400x WiFi 5). Both setup with smart connect so it's kinda like a ghetto mesh but more expensive? I would totally buy a $700 beast router from netduma if they came out with something better than the xr700. C'mon boys, take my money!!! 😆

Yeah, they could easily market Netduma R3 with basic feautures and Netduma R3 pro with sfp port and atleast 1x 2,5gb and good wifi, you would be amazed on how many people would spend 500€ for R3 pro because we already spent so much money on GPU that a good modem sounds good because you can easily make it future proof... (with or without sfp ports) just anything that's atleast support 2.5gbs wan and lan

I know some providers on my country are selling 2,5gbps connection with modem that doesn't have single 2,5gbps lan ports, only 1 gbps so of course people are ditching that and buying their own modem/router/ap configuration