Port Forwarding Issues for minecraft server

Good day all, 

I have run a minecraft server for 2 years on my pc. Recently we moved and I purchased a XR500 night hawk router. Ive set up all the required information regarding the server. However, it seems that the port will not open. My Wan IP does NOT start with 192.168

My setup is as follows. >Arris CM8200a modem> XR500 Nighthawk router> desktop connection via ethernet cable. 

upon looking at the CM the only information available is connection info, no way to edit any port forwarding settings. 

My service provider is Optimum. 

If I have left anything out please let me know. 

Thanks,

Greeja

Hello, and thank you! 

My apologies, I seem to have forgotten to post the Port#. It is #25565

Screenshot should be attached, thank you.

Also I know it says FTP in the left hand side however I used the custom function to make it TCP/UDP

45 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hello, welcome to the forum!

What is the port you need to open? Could you provide a screenshot of the port forwarding page please?

image.png

• Administrators

That all looks good thank you, if you use a port checker such as https://portchecker.co which has a specific option for Minecraft does it show the port as Open or Closed?

You'll definitely want to give your PC a reserved IP matching that IP so that it never changes and you don't get issues down the road.

In WAN Settings set NAT to Open, this relaxes the firewall, does it then work correctly?

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That all looks good thank you, if you use a port checker such as https://portchecker.co which has a specific option for Minecraft does it show the port as Open or Closed?

You'll definitely want to give your PC a reserved IP matching that IP so that it never changes and you don't get issues down the road.

In WAN Settings set NAT to Open, this relaxes the firewall, does it then work correctly?

The port checker states that the port is closed.

I've reserved the IP in the router for the PC (I've run into that issue in the past and felt foolish when I found that issue XD) 

WAN settings are open. I've noticed that my WAN IP is different than my Public IP could this cause issues? I think the Wan starts with 100 and the public starts with 24.

• Administrators

Ahhh, yes it does explain it, I think you have a CG-NAT, there are only two solutions to this:

1. Change to an ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT
  2. Obtain a static public IP from your ISP (they usually charge for this)

What you said pretty much confirms it but if you want to double check, have a look at the bottom of this guide for a test: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ahhh, yes it does explain it, I think you have a CG-NAT, there are only two solutions to this:

1. Change to an ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT
  2. Obtain a static public IP from your ISP (they usually charge for this)

What you said pretty much confirms it but if you want to double check, have a look at the bottom of this guide for a test: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

Ouch, I see. Thank you for your help in this, I've had only one other ISP my whole life and when we moved we went with another one who was in the area. 

You've been a major help I appreciate it!

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Greeja said:

Ouch, I see. Thank you for your help in this, I've had only one other ISP my whole life and when we moved we went with another one who was in the area. 

You've been a major help I appreciate it!

You're very welcome!