Why am I getting two of the same device? Do I need to create a static ip address?

So I set up the Netduma for the first time yesterday.

Here's my scenario: I set up a device, let's say it's my LGTV. I only have one LG TV in the house so I can't be getting it mixed up with any else in my house. And also it's set up wired ethernet.

So the LG TV yesterday went offline and then today another LG TV appeared but this time it's created a new MAC address and a new IP address.

Why is this happening? This has happened for around 4 or 5 of my devices.

Can I assign a IP address to every single device in my house? Is this what's called a static ip? Is there any downside to doing this and will this fix my issue?

It because IP addresses change there not going to be permanent if you want them to be more consistent then you would to network settings and find reserve ip should be under dhcp you would then apply the IP and save it

If you use the R1 I have no clue since I haven't used that one especially being almost 10 year old but I would guess it be same procedure

• Administrators

As above but also as the MAC address is changing then it is likely the device has been connected via ethernet or 2.4Ghz or 5GHz at one time and so will appear different for each connection method

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As above but also as the MAC address is changing then it is likely the device has been connected via ethernet or 2.4Ghz or 5GHz at one time and so will appear different for each connection method

Thanks for the help both.

So what's the point in me even naming my devices if they can change ip address and then change in my device list?

The reason why I am is because a lot of devices appeared as the default name 'unknown', so to fix this I plugged my devices in 1 by 1 and renamed then.

Now I've logged on and I've got 5 devices called unknown.

Is there any downside to reserving every ip address on my router?

• Administrators

Generally they won't change too much but they can if the device is rebooted, they connect via a different method etc, it's just how it works but no there aren't any downsides to reserving addresses for all the devices.