XR500 - QoS & Bufferbloat

I'm trying various settings to improve bufferbloat via QoS.

-xr500 is connected directly to the external ont provided by the isp (Nokia G-010G-Q)
-All tests were carried out with wifi disabled because I can play even without all devices connected.

-my connection is in FTTH vodafone gigabit. speedtest: 930 Down/ 220 Up - 14 ms ping (I live 400km far from the best server)

I am attaching results and settings.

qosup.thumb.PNG.4aebf4d620b7509f15a9a31a30ab7e1e.PNGqosdown.thumb.PNG.4c4e540ea3187de75a52bd6357a5ae3e.PNGtp.thumb.PNG.a0babebcf739ca90f69c8c18c3936421.PNG

results without and with QoS

bb-noqos.thumb.PNG.f0147c06a48a98c62a3fe584ad3d775b.PNGbb-qos.thumb.PNG.8958da2a7c571f9d55118630df2090c5.PNG

The results are similar even if you enable or disable "Share Excess"

considerations:
-if I increase the bandwidth in download it is practically the same as the test without QoS.
-any band I put in the upload the result doesn't change.
-I have removed any energy saving from the network card (Intel I225-V) if anyone knows the optimal settings for this card, I gladly accept them.

I think I can improve the result also because it is not stable on (15ms in load) many times it is on 22-25ms very similar to the test without QoS.

What do you think and what can I try to improve the situation?

It's good to see that you're able to achieve an (A) grade.

Seeing that you have fiber and the +*ms is still above 15+ms is quite interesting.

You also mentioned, anything you do to the Upload, hardly has any effect, which is also interesting.

As both images show practically the same Upload speed when upload should be around 160mbps.

For testing purposes,

Disable Upload 'Share Excess' and reduce the Upload speed to 40%.

See if that makes a change in your Upload speed when you run a test.

As it seems, your upload is what's causing you some issues.

the feeling is that the QoS does not decrease the upload bandwidth, while the download seems to have been decreased precisely. in the bufferbloat test, on the other hand, I don't see any speed changes if not minimal.

testqos.thumb.PNG.9146664e870025323b6dca83abdb157e.PNG

I don't consider the test on waweform reliable because it bypasses the QoS. I don't know why but it manages to take the whole band.
on dlsreport it respects the QoS settings and in download I have 4-5 ms more in load. A great result. Unfortunately I'm reading on the web that many routers have problems with QoS on the upload side.
I applied for the beta test and I'm waiting for them to put me in, maybe it's a firmware problem.
Or I wait for the answer of some expert on the forum for a solution.

dumaosset.thumb.PNG.e00e1de76dadfab8501011c56735bf74.PNGdlsreport.PNG.37ec9df2907b41fb4bf608ecb6fffd4b.PNG

• Administrators

As above those sorts of tests can be negatively affected by QoS, the best test in my opinion would be to saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc and run PingPlotter with the help of this guide and then experiment with Congestion Control to see what gives you the best results on PingPlotter.

https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.