Can't find answer now

Guest Netduma_Iain

No its ok mate, just a bit late but we can fix this! 

What device are you using to connect to the netduma page? If you mean the computer plugged to the nighthawk then it can't access the duma because its not behind it. 

I'll try to explain this the best I can:

Nighthawk: This is one network, with it's own DHCP server and a base IP address of 192.168.1.X so it is 192.168.1.1 and it passes out IPs from 192.168.1.100-255

You plugged the R1 into the nighthawk, it will be assigned an IP address from the nighthawk via the DHCP (go to Device Manager and grab the number on that page for WAN.)

Any and every device you plug into the Nighthawk will get an IP address in that IP range, the R1 will hand out IP addresses from its DHCP server which is on 192.168.88.X by default.

If you are on the Nighthawk network you cannot simply type 192.168.88.1 and hit the R1 because it is a separate network (without routing tables).

If you are on the R1 you normally cannot simply type 192.168.1.1 and get to the nighthawk for the same reason.

Ok!  I was in the same situation a sindonesia.  Wasn't able to hit the R1 if I had it setup with Modem-Nighthawk-R1 via wireless.  I understand now that I need to be on the R1 wireless to hit the R1.  My question is this, why am I able to hit the R1 if I had it setup like this.....Modem-R1-Nighthawk.  I'm still using the nighthawk wireless and not the R1 wireless.  I am still able to punch in the default 192.168.88.1 and acces the R1 using the nighthawk wireless.  Wouldn't it be the same no matter what is plugged into the modem first?  Maybe I'm just reading too much into this!  My interpretation is that it would be 2 separate network no matter what is plugged into the modem first.  The reason why I was looking into this is becasue I have security cameras that I access via my smartphone but now I am unable too because of the R1 being plugged in first.  I'm just to lazy to fuss around with port forwarding and stuff.  After awhile, it just gets to compilcated for me.  LOL

Guest Netduma_Iain

Simple Answer

The router sitting behind the other one is aware of it. However the one in front is not aware of the one behind.

Slightly less simple answer

Routers have NATs to make it look like there is one device when there are multiple. So the netduma only sees one device the nighthawk it doesn't realise there are more devices behind it.

Hope that helps

Archived