Itch i need to scratch

stewslash

I can't get these gadgets out of my head and I've been doing lots of research lately , and its 3D Printing, i really really want one , i don't know what i would print with it but they just seem so cool , i am currently fighting every urge in my body not to whip out my credit card and get one of these bad boys

Has anyone on here got one or any experience with them , i am talking hobby level machines under £1K ?

Be aware that all the super-nice 3d-printed stuff you see has usually been hand-processed after it's been printed to make it look nice.  Stuff that comes off 3d printers, particularly the $1000 price range (but even the more expensive $5k+ models) is rough and needs to be hand-polished/smoothed/deburred/etc. to make it acceptable.  Some people use acetone in an airtight container, or other methods, to achieve smoothness.

Also be aware that the filament is EXPENSIVE, and you'll burn through it quickly.  And that for every good print you get, you'll have potentially several screwed-up prints.  And the nozzle maintenance is a huge pain in the butt.

Frankly, I don't believe they're ready for prime time.  I'd wait a year or three for more consumer-friendly, lower-maintenance, higher-feature models to arrive.

Not to mention that the 3d printer manufacturer space is going through a huge shake-out right now.  Not really a good time to buy.  Let the dust settle.

Archived