desktop streaming software

ByMgRs

OK I had a crazy idea today and wondered if you guys know of any software that could support it. So I have a macbook pro that I use for xcode development (I'm a bit of a beginner) and then I have my main windows custom pc with triple monitors, is there anyway without unplugging cables and getting adapters that I can remotely 'share' my pc monitors with my mac so effectively the mac would see my pc monitors as if they were plugged in via thunderbolt or hdmi? I doubt it but I thought it was worth an ask!

Best way to do that is via a VNC-based application.  You'd run a VNC server on your Mac and a VNC client on your Windows machine.  Then you'd open a window on your Windows machine that'd be your Mac desktop.   But no, there's no easy way I no of to remotely share your monitors with your Mac as though they were natively connected.

if you mean you want to be able to without plugging any cables in have your mac be able to use the desktop monitors as its own...unfortunately the answer is no, there is too much data going from your macbook's video card to the monitors to make this stream over wifi/bluetooth...

If you mean you want to be able to seemlessly drag a single mouse and keyboard over from the macbook to the PC monitors (they still are showing windows) this is totally possible and actually a pretty awesome thing, http://synergy-project.org/?ab5&utm_expid=35973112-5.LQhO_zr3R7mw69eKHqIeWg.1

also if you just want remote desktop, just use Remotix from Mac to windows and VNC from windows to mac and VNC from mac to mac (vnc:\\10.10.10.10) will open Screen Sharing

I forgot you could use chrome cast and or apple TV to project your screen onto another screen over wifi.  you'll need an HDMI port on your monitor and don't expect 100% awesomeness

• Netduma Staff

If you mean you want to be able to seemlessly drag a single mouse and keyboard over from the macbook to the PC monitors (they still are showing windows) this is totally possible and actually a pretty awesome thing, http://synergy-project.org/?ab5&utm_expid=35973112-5.LQhO_zr3R7mw69eKHqIeWg.1

I've actually been looking for something like that for ages! Thanks :)

Yea the Apple TV could work but for anything other than streaming movies or something like that, it's sluggish. Airplay isn't an amazing solution but it works for what it was made for. 

Archived